Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Bosque Del Cabo is booked...where else to stay? HELP!

Old Jan 27th, 2011, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and 10 year old daughter are headed to Costa Rica in March for 10 days. I've heard amazing things about BDC but it's completely booked during the dates we're there. What is the next best place to stay in PJ? I've read some good things about Iguana Lodge - thoughts? Where should we go from Osa for an additional 4 days that's different but yet active for a 10 year old. She loves nature, animals and hiking...I was thinking Arenal or Monteverde but have heard Puerto Viejo. Any and all suggestions are helpful! Thank you!
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 05:27 PM
RAC

El Remanso in the same area gets great reviews.

There are a few high end lodges in Drake Bay (La Paloma, Aguila de Osa) you could also look at.
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 06:05 PM

Lapa Rios and Encanta La Vida are also in the same general market bracket. soldeosa.com collects numerous other options. Also look at Carate and hiking into Corcovado. With a party of 3 and a week, renting a house becomes an economically attractive option, and several of the Cabo Matapalo houses have housekeeping/cooking services available. I noted given our kids' ages that the on-site caretaker and owner for Casa Bambu and Sueno Verde respectively (http://www.vrbo.com/271942 and see other vrbo listings too) have kids on-site appx. 10 years old.

As for other locations after the Osa, unless you're flying I'd look elswhere than Arenal, Monteverde, and Puerto Viejo, simply because all of them would require that you return to San Jose and then travel several more hours. There are numerous equally attractive options between the Osa and San Jose. Hacienda Baru and San Gerardo de Dota, for example.
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 06:12 PM

Or Rafiki Lodge, upmountain from Manuel Antonio.
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 07:01 PM

El Remanso might be a good choice and Iguana Lodge too. IL is closer to the beach. Casa Bambu is another great option if you're open to a house rental, but some people don't like to cook on vacay. ;-) If you consider Drake Bay, Drake Bay Wilderness Resort is nice and has great discounts for kids and cash, and one of the only pools in the area. My daughter loves Puerto Viejo, but it's a hike from Osa so you'd probably want to check the logistics (flying to SJO, Interbus or drive from there the next day). Also, mentioned, Hacienda Baru, could be fun. It's also on a beach but strong rips there.
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 07:22 PM

Lapa Rios is the one I hear about the most, and Iguana Lodge. Also Yellow Coco and Crocodile Bay. Haven't stayed at any of them, but they seem to get good reviews.
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 07:32 PM

El Remanso is next door to Bosque, smaller property but very nice with good food. You can walk down to the Pacific on their trail; it's too rough to swim but lots of tide pools.

You could do Arenal easily if you flew on Nature Air, but it'd get to be expensive, running around $150pp.
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 05:01 AM

I'd combine Iguana Lodge, right there at Puerto Jimenez, with El Remanso. You guys would have a great time visiting the animal sanctuary and having some beach time before heading to the more remote Cabo Matapalo area where BdC and El Remanso are located. 2 nights at IL is plenty. Don't miss Animal Sanctuary--your daughter will love seeing the monkeys out and about and very friendly!
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 05:47 AM

www.laparios.com best for me with children

www.lunalodge.com also VERY special

My fav but many others...all above are good for upscale.

www.corcovado.org for jaguars best wildlife in CR

Aguilla de Osa nice upscale for Drake's

Arenal www.tabacon.com or www.thespringscostarica.com

good for a couple of days...

PV dodgier Le Chameleon is the only upscale property

over there more rain decent not great wildlife except for

www.tortugueroinfo.com Tortuga Lodge best upscale there

might make a nice alternative if you the Osa is booked.

Osa is best for me for wildlife though.

Happy Hunting,
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 01:37 PM

We stayed at Iguana Lodge 2 years ago and it was wonderful; and now they even have a pool that they didn't have before. I think it would be a good spot for a 10 yr old. Being right on the ocean, it was easier to do the nature preserve, fishing, etc and the ocean was heavenly. Good Luck.
Old Jan 30th, 2011, 03:04 PM

Hi we stayed at yellow coco and loved it, with our teen daughter. We also went to iguana lodge several times to eat and found that to be very nice. We flew into san jose got a driver then went to arenal a few days then flew from there to Osa via san jose for a few days thought it was a nice combo. I think your daughter will love it.
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 09:17 AM

We stayed a couple nights at Iguana after BDC which was convenient cuz it's close to the airport but the ocean was pretty rough and kids couldn't go into the water -- I wasn't really crazy about the place. Sounds like that's not the usual water conditions but just a heads up.

The pool in May '10 appeared to have been finished, set back on its own surrounded by nothing but concrete so it looked really un-inviting at that time. Perhaps they've finished it since then and have made it more user-friendly? The lobby area of Iguana is really nice and the rooms quite nice for the price -- we booked 2 of the cheapest rooms which was less expensive than a larger unit with two beds. Service was very friendly, nice breakfasts.
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 04:08 PM

We had a great time in the ocean in front of iguana lodge rough waters was not our experience it could be timing I guess
Old Feb 1st, 2011, 04:26 PM

We've stayed at Iguana Lodge twice and would do it again in a heartbeat. We loved riding bicycles into town and hanging out in Puerto Jimenez for awhile. We always try to be there on a Friday night when there is a huge pasta feast. The entire town (or so it seems) shows up for a big Italian buffet and lots of salsa dancing. It's pretty good entertainment. We always stay in the less expensive club rooms above the beach bar (used to be Pearl of the Osa), and it can be noisy from there on Friday nights, but still fun. We think those rooms are quite a good bargain.