Bosque Del Cabo and ?

Old Mar 8th, 2005, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bosque Del Cabo and ?

First, I'd like to thank all of you who have shared your experiences at Bosque Del Cabo! It is through this website that I found Bosque and I can't wait to go there. After 5 nights in the jungle, I would like to spend a few nights relaxing and being pampered a bit before going home. I am looking for a romantic hotel that has great rooms and a pool to lounge beside. My first choice is Punta Islita, but I am concerned that the logistics of flying back into San Jose and out again are burdensome and may end up more stressful than it is worth. I am considering Finca Rosa, the Master Suite looks amazing, but (this may sound crazy) it looks like dinner is a communal affair and after doing that for 5 nights at Bosque, I'd like to have dinners alone with my husband! Can anyone make any suggestions? Thank you!
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 01:44 PM

We loved Peace Lodge and found it perfect for a relaxing couple of days at the end of our trip. We had trouble deciding which jacuzzi to sit in so we would fill both and take turns. Sitting in front of the fireplace afterwards with a glass of wine and some nice music was a wonderful way to unprune. Dinners are very individual and pretty formal. You also have the option of dinner in your room.

There are several more places that I am sure will be mentioned by people who have been to them.

BTW you can eat dinner at a table by yourselves if you want to at Bosque. I enjoy the interaction but understand that others might want to spend time alone. Breakfast and lunch are individual for all although people do get together even then to chat and eat together.
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 02:24 PM

I second Peace Lodge, it was an amazing end to our trip in 2004. Wandering around the grounds, and down to the spectacular waterfalls. Watching what seems like hundreds of hummingbirds, and the butterflies. Sitting in the room and as Jessie said - trying to decide which Jacuzzi to try first. Simply deciding where to sit first! Then sitting in front of the fireplace sipping wine before turning in for a restful night. AHHH the memories.

However, since you mentioned Punta Islita, I thought that Villa Caletas might be interesting. Someone recently gave this place rave reviews. This is near Jaco and would not require another plane ride.
http://www.hotelvillacaletas.com

We also very much enjoyed our stay a few years back at the Vista del Valle Plantation Inn. http://www.vistadelvalle.com

I didn't see - how many nights will you have at the end of your trip?

Old Mar 8th, 2005, 06:03 PM

Hi Jaisy! I don't have anything to add that Donna hasn't already said, but am curious! There aren't very many Jaisy's--is that your real name or just your user name? I have one-- (Jacie)--she is 28 and was named after the Jacy character played by Cybil Shepherd in "The Last Picture Show" back in the mid-seventies. As I said, just curious--and I like the way you spell it. I've never seen that particular spelling, but have seen tons of others! Have a great trip!
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 03:12 AM
Original Poster

I'm curious about some of the reviews i've seen about Peace Lodge being "disneyesque," did any of you find that this took away from the Costa Rican expereince? They do not have a pool, correct? The rooms look amazing. I am wondering about the day trips. For example, the Poas trip is $60 per person. Would we get about the same price for the two of us if we went in a private taxi? How is the food at Peace Lodge and are there any other restuarants a short distance (by taxi) away?

Sorry to disappoint Shillmac, but Jaisy is my screen name. Oddly enough, my given name is just as unusual!
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 04:16 AM

I guess when I think of Disney like - I think of long lines and lots of people. So I really can't answer that part.

Yes there is a pool, it was being completed when we were there in Feb 2004.

When staying a PL, you have the opportunity to explore the grounds at times when the day trippers are not there. When we walked the trails, there were hardly anyone else on them.

We had a vehicle, so don't know about cost to other areas. We had flown in from Montezuma (tip of the Nicoya) and rented a vehicle for our last few days. We decided that the cost of a cab or driver to and from PL, was quite near the same cost as renting, and preferred having some flexibility.

If you have a vehicle you can drive around and find some restaurants within 30 minutes or so of PL, however we never tried them.

We found the food to be fine. As I recall there was a buffet for breakfast and lunch. Then at dinner you had a couple of choices, which we always found to be tasty. I believe dinner ran around $20 - $25 pp, which was a bit high, but this was our splurge at the end of the trip. The desserts were delicious, which we had boxed both nights to take to our room.

Old Mar 9th, 2005, 06:45 AM

The only thing I can add to Donnas reply is that, what you see on the web site is what you get only more of it because you can't really see it as a whole. Different people have different ideas of Disneyesque. My husband really enjoyed Peace Lodge which was very surprising considering our usual type of place but I have never been able to talk him into Disney World.

I seem to remember that most of the responses were positive rather than negative.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for sharing your expereinces with me. They don't show a pool on the website so I would never have know they had one if it were not for you! Pdfarmer, what was it like having a car in that area? We have always had a car on vacation, but have heard so many people (including a Tico friend) warn us against it that I was assuming we would do without.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 12:58 PM

Actually Peace Lodge is only about 1 1/2 hours from SJ, and the roads were just fine. Yes, sometimes narrow and winding, but we did not experience any problems.

The rental company gave us very clear instructions on getting through Alajuela and from there it was a nice scenic drive.

It can get foggy on you, both early morning and late afternoon, but you would want to be put before dark anyway.

Having a car would give you the opp to go to Poas on your own, at your own pace. Easy and close by.

Also, since I am a coffee addict, I had to stop at Doka Coffee Plantation (you can go with a group or schedule a private tour), and then twice more at their coffee cafe that you pass on the way. Can't remeber the name, but their coffee brand is Tres Generations.

Nice to be able to stop for local souvernirs and such.

Anyway to answer your question - no problems for us, we very much enjoyed having the freedom of the vehicle.

Old Mar 12th, 2005, 06:10 AM

Jaisy, we stayed at the Peace Lodge last month. I am copying that part of my trip report for you. You will see it was nothing like Disney for us. Report as follows:
The drive to the Peace Lodge was very green with colorful wild impatients blooming along the way. The air was much cooler than our time in the Osa. It began to sprinkle and by the time we reached the Peace Lodge it was pouring rain. My husband’s attitude became a little testy as he was paying $500 (villa rate plus $80 for our two sons plus almost $100 in taxes) to sit in miserable weather. Mind you, he had not yet seen Monarch Villa. If ever I can enjoy rain, it is when I am relaxing in a bubbly Jacuzzi with a fire glowing next to me. Let’s see, which fireplace did I like best? Was it the one in the Great room, the master bedroom, or the bathroom? We have stayed in some of the finest hotels in the world and I must say this one ranks right near the top. My husband was more than satisfied – apologizing profusely for his ugly remarks. This forum has described the Monarch many times, so I won’t go into every detail. Even knowing what to expect did not prepare me.

And now for another blessing of rain; it keeps the general tourist crowds away. We put on our rain gear and hiked all the waterfalls (the best I saw in Costa Rica), then enjoyed the Butterfly Exhibit (very informative and beautiful) next, our favorite, the hummingbird exhibit. For those staying at the Lodge, a special program by Ricardo begins around 9:30am, and again around 4:30pm. Check the times, but I think that is correct. Anyway, Ricardo covers all the hummingbird feeders and then puts a tube filled with nectar in your hand. The birds were all over us. Ricardo is wonderful, pointing out the various colors and sharing information about the different types of hummingbirds. Some are large and some are very tiny. Some are bright violet and others are iridescent green. It was something the whole family enjoyed. This was one of those days when you just knew it was the highlight of your trip. Between the beautiful waterfalls, gorgeous blue morph butterflies landing on our arms and head, and the hummingbirds feeding from our hands, our photo ops were unsurpassed. Bring lots of film or chips for your digital.

To answer general questions: The construction did not bother us at all. The breakfast is fairly good – they will make omelets, pancakes, etc. The dinners are OK but not great. The tortilla soup is very good along with the crepes for dessert. You can buy a la carte: soup $6, salad $6, entrée $20, or four courses for $27. Drinks are extra. If anyone is a “birder” – the birds are unbelievable. Even I began to watch them. So many, so different from any we see in the states.

The next day I pledged I would not leave our room until one minute before twelve (checkout time). We enjoyed our breakfast and revisited the butterflies and birds. Savoring every minute, I walked out of our door as the maid approached our villa. By the way, the Peace Lodge has excellent printed directions to just about any destination. Be sure to ask if you have not traveled the road before.

Old Mar 12th, 2005, 09:12 AM

Hi,
I might recommend Florblanca in Malpais. This isn't the easiest place to get to but it is what you described. My husband and I loved it and Bosque del Cabo!
We flew from Bosque del Cabo to Quepos (a "somtimes available" flight as I understand it) and then drove to Malpais via Puntarenas (~6 hours). This seems to be as difficult as gettting to Punta Islita, so it may not be an option for you. We ended our trip at Florblanca and it was a great finish.
I hope you enjoy BdC - it's an awesome place.
Leslee