Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Booked & Confirmed Peru Trip (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/booked-and-confirmed-peru-trip-406242/)

IngridG Mar 3rd, 2004 11:51 AM

Booked & Confirmed Peru Trip

Hi All:

I am very excited to announce that our November trip to Peru has been booked and confirmed this week.

We will be flying to Cusco to see MP and other ruins nearby. We will spend about four nights in that area (inluding one night at the Pueblo in Aguas Calientes). We then fly to Iquitos to be transported to a jungle lodge for about a week.
Then we go back to Iquitos for a jungle/Amazon cruise for another week. We then fly to Lima (get a quick tour) and then fly home. A total of about 18 days.

Does anyone have any advice on items to take, not take, certain foods to try or stay away from or items to purchase as gifts, etc.

Any ideas and advice will be greatly appreciated!!!

Ingrid :-)

kkkkathy Mar 7th, 2004 01:20 PM

Dear IngridG,

We just returned from Lima, Cusco, Ariquipa (Colca Canyon)--it was fabulous. One big recommendation I would make is to forget about changing your money to Soles, its a waste of money to do it. Although I can't speak for the Amazon area, everywhere we went the US dollar was the standard for pricing and was valued much more than the sole. Even at the airport, where you have to pay departure taxes in cash for domestic and international flights, the cost was lower when paid in US dollars. You could bargain even in the most remote locations with better leverage with the dollar. Don't waste money on exchange fees, etc. I would skip the travelers checks too since when they cash them you only get Soles for them. Banks in Peru have recently instituted a 15% surcharge on ALL bank transactions, including the ATM--the fee goes to the government!

ncanavan Mar 8th, 2004 07:16 AM

While I did not go to rain forest areas while in Peru, I did read several stern warnings about purchasing rain forest crafts made with endangered or restricted species - both plant and animal. Stiff fines can result.

IngridG Mar 16th, 2004 06:23 AM

Thanks guys for the info. We will be careful about the souvernirs we purchase. I am also going to check into the money situation. We use traveler's checks because we don't want to lose money along the way..

cmcfong Mar 17th, 2004 04:11 AM

On items to buy, here are a couple of suggestions. In the market at Aguas Calientes they sell some cotton pants with colorful borders. I brought them back for twentysomething nieces and they were a huge hit. Easy to pack and cheap. We also had a lot of fun buying shoes made of leather and fabric (the boots were wonderful) in a small shop about a block off the main plaza in Cuzco. There is a ceramica with a shop on the main plaza about 200 yards to the left of the big church. If you can get to the factory in the Sacred Valley the prices are better, but if not, check out their merchandise, it is very pretty. I brought back small candlesticks, pitchers, and plates which were received with great delight.
I took granola bars with me and was grateful I did.
I loved the Pueblo hotel. We treated ourselves to massages there. NICE, VERY NICE.
One thing that paid off for us was taking clothes we planned to ditch when we were ready to come home. Another thing was getting very broad brim hats, the sun is strong.
Our trip was last November and we had great weather. I wish you the same.

jortiz1 Mar 18th, 2004 05:47 PM

Ingrid:

Who did you use to book your trip, my wife and I are looking to do the same, please advise. Thanks! Jorge

IngridG Mar 23rd, 2004 09:35 AM

Hi Jorge:

We did a lot of research on this, but came up with a very professional tour company recommended to us by many people on this board.

International Expeditions

Although they are a little pricey, they are extremely professional! They have very slick marketing materials, video of the cruise they offer on the Amazon, etc.

We needed a company willing to help us incorporate all of the places we wanted to see. We wanted to do the Amatista cruise, but also wanted to be in a particular jungle lodge in the middle of the jungle. They put the entire package together for us (including international airfare) exactly the way we wanted.

IngridG Mar 23rd, 2004 09:40 AM

cmcfong:

Sorry I didn't see your name..
Thanks for the info. We always take cheap clothes on trips, so we can ditch them before we come back with souvenirs. A lot of times we can just trade the clothes or give them away.

I will look for the pants you are describing - sound cute.

I will also think about that massage!!!
I am sure we will need it after walking around MP all day!

I hope the weather is ok too..