Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Blown the budget and I'm not even there yet.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excluding hotel rooms and on-road transportation, how much can I reasonably get away with spending for a three-week trip to Costa Rica?

This will include one round-trip flight to Osa, a whitewater raft trip, a canopy tour, a horseback ride, casual eating (my husband likes burgers, pizza and anything bread-related; I'm on an eternal diet and try to stay away from fried foods and everything my husband eats) and all the usuals that will make our trip fun, exciting and complete.

Also, we're not drinkers, so that's not a consideration. I would like to bring home some souvenirs (coffee, pottery).

So what are we looking at?
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 09:52 AM

MonaManuel,
Here is what I am thinking. . .
Flights round trip to Osa. . . .$350
Rafting (one day?) 150
(two day $400)
Horseback 150
Canopy 150
Food ($40 per day) 800

$2000 would be a decent guess that would allow for upward trend such as more expensive eating! And the incidentals that you never think about (tipping, soft drinks at roadside sodas

Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 11:06 PM

saludos again ladies (and gents who may be perusing...don't you think shillmac that Mona (amd all of us) can do much of what she wants to do for a lot less if we simply make different choices? I just read that detailed travel journal where the writer and his wife rented horses to ride on the beach for $5 pp. The horseback stuff, it seems could be a day long, lunch-catered, guide does everything for you $150 deal, OR you could rent a couple of horses for a couple fo hours and go for a ride for $20-30 bucks. I'm hoping (since I haven't gone yet and haven't been to Costa Rica in many years) that I'm understanding this correctly. Also, just about everyone I've talked to (once you get past the travel agents who have no authourity to wheel and deal with you), you can strike some great deals based on numbers or frequency, i.e. if you'd like to ride more than one afternoon.

Also, regarding the food...you ceratinly may want to indulge yourselves occasionally on teh finer dining described in some of these postings but if you're going to be there three weeks, you may also find yourself wanting some lighter fare part of the time. i.e. buy yourselves a couple of pupusas or empanadas on the street, a piña in the market or throw a fallen mango (from the sidewalk) up into a tree in the park and knock down a couplew of fresh mangos (or buy them) and eat on the deck of your hotel. (Or eat on the sidewalk like the locals. I remember eating "tacos chinos" in Alajuela...they're basically egg rolls (from the influx of chinese people) but made with cabbage and some kinds awesome sauce!) With all due respect, I think most of the travelers here are pretty big spenders...by choice. That's all well and good but I don't believe it HAS to be that way. We may stay a couple days in one of these places but certainly won't be spending that kind of money day in day out. Just a thought. (or ten)

While I will certainly make sure I am prepared for higher prices and the occasional splurge, I think I"ve spent enough time reading, listening, talking and piking the brains of other travelers to not be totally off the wall with this. I lived in Costa Rica as an exchange student many years ago and have traveled back several times since but not for many years. This upcoming trip, a month long, is the first time I've taken my 11 (today is her birthday) and 12 year olds.

Happy travels!

Julie, tica traveler
Old Apr 24th, 2004, 08:26 AM

Dear MonaManuel,
Shillmac's estimation is probably in the ball park, but Julie also has a point, there are a lot of ways to save money, WITHOUT compromising on your level of enjoyment. One thing that comes to mind, especially if you like rice and beans is the famous "casado" which is a plate with your choice of meat or fish, with rice, beans, salad and usually fried platanos (type of banana). You can find it in ALL the tico restaurants, although it will usually not appear on the menu (just sit down and say: "Por favor, un casado con pollo/chuleta/pescado (which means "please, a casado with chicken/pork/fish&quot. The Casado is by far the best value meal you will ever find, and usually goes for less than $4, but can cost anywhere between $2.5-$8. It is a full meal, and usually really delicious and fresh, as it is the most popular meal on the menu in most costa rican restaurants.
Another way to save money, is to do things yourself. A lot of "organized tours" that cost $50-$75 per person, you can do for about $10-$15, especially if you are going to a national park! You can drive yourself, or even take a cab if you don't have a car, and just pay the $7 entrance fee! If you want, you can pay a guide outside, it will still be much less than to go for an organized tour from your hotel. Since you will be 2 people, it can save you about $100!
These are just a couple of ideas I had, but I am sure I can think of more. If I do, I will post them.
Pura vida,
Neta Talmor
Old Apr 24th, 2004, 09:08 AM

Mona,
I know that Julie and Neta are absolutely correct. I realize my estimates were upward (allows for whatever extras come along that one always forgets to figure in!)
And, to be honest, we don't spend anywhere near $40 per day on food. I was just thinking of an average, realizing that, for many people, $40 per couple is the average price of just a dinner meal!

Anyway, what a place to blow the budget, huh?
Old Apr 24th, 2004, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone. I'm going to take a mortgage out on this honeymoon. The banks can take away my property, but they can't take away the memories....
Old Apr 24th, 2004, 09:49 AM

Mona,
Good thinking on the mortgage
You mentioned souvenirs, but I can't remember the places your itinerary will take you.
Two of the souvenirs that we have had shipped back to the US (and have really enjoyed having) are one of the Costa Rican leather rockers that you see in so many places and a beautifully hand painted oxcart. We found both at Sarchi and the shops there are very good about shipping details. These can be found in other places, but the best prices are in Sarchi--probably because of the volume of sales there.

Also, you mentioned pottery. You see it a lot of places (even roadside stands on the Nicoya Peninsula), but one of the best places to find great pottery is in the little village of Guaitil just a few km out of Santa Cruz (near Tamarindo). The entire village is devoted to pottery making and we found some wonderful pieces there. It makes for an interesting little visit to the countryside!