Blame it on Rio ?

Jun 12th, 2004, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

Blame it on Rio ?

Over the last two weeks I have sent four emails to the Caesar Park Ipanema, a few to Marina Palace in Leblon and have tried to track down a travel agent called Blame It On Rio, which also seems to have disappeared. So far no responses. When I try to use my Caesar Park registration number to log in and seek to make reservations I receive a technical difficulties message. Rio is no doubt a fun place, but......Has anyone recently stayed on the beach in a room looking out to the beach and sea in either Ipanema or Leblon at a good / efficient / reliable and somewhat luxurious hotel ? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Jun 13th, 2004, 02:21 AM
Original Poster

Thank you to the Company renting apartments that sent me an email but what I am really looking for is a top class beachfront Ipanema or Leblon hotel if possible.
Jun 13th, 2004, 04:36 AM

You might want to consider the Sofitel - which is at the southern end of Copacabana (last hotel on the stretch before road curves over to Ipanema) overlooking the beach & ocean, but a VERY quick & easy walk to Ipanema. They had good service & a very convenient location. The Sheraton is a bit removed & is very "American" & resort-y, but we found it was also an easy walk into Leblon & Ipanema from there - plus they have a complimentary van that will take you into those areas along the main beach road - but if the times aren't convenient, it was easy enough to walk. Although we would usually get a taxi back late at night.
Jun 13th, 2004, 07:50 AM
wj1

We're staying at Caesar Park for our upcoming trip. Our room was booked through BrazilNuts which has an excellent rate. However, they consider themeselves a tour operator rather than a travel agent. You will have to pay in advance and pay $50 more per person if you book land only through them. However, depending on how long you'll be there, you still will probably come out way ahead because their rate is so good. All their hotel rates are posted on their website and are accurate. They will propose transfers which seem high.

I share your frustration. For several reasons, we decided to book our hotel in Ouro Preto directly. Responses to e-mails are very delayed and I even tried calling but no one spoke English (and I don't speak Portuguese).

Good luck.
Jun 13th, 2004, 03:21 PM

Hi, WJL,
How did you manage to reserve a hotel in Ouro Preto after all? I know you were having some difficulties.

To the person looking for a Rio hotel, I also like the Sheraton (the Cesar Park also is very good and right in the middle of the action). We like the Sheraton for the feeling we got of being in a resort but with easy access to beautiful Rio. We spent some time at the great pool area every day before exploring the city. (If you go there, for a bit more money, the rooms on the four-story wing directly facing the ocean are great. They have large balconies with views toward Ipanema, whereas the standard rooms have those small French balconies. But if I remember correctly, all rooms have ocean views. We sometimes ordered room service and ate on the balcony, enjoying the superb view.)
Jun 13th, 2004, 11:45 PM
Original Poster

I would prefer to find something closer to Ipanema. While the Sheraton looks good it is a long way from the action and we tend to do a lot of walking rather than spending time at the hotel. I am told that there is a Favela behind the Sheraton on the hill and that while it is secure inside, it is not fun walking around that area after dark. I would like to be able to listen to the music of Jobim at the local music clubs and restaurants in Ipanema and walk back to a place like the Caesar Park in Ipanema which i understand also has great views. Thank you wj1 I have contacted the BrasilNuts in Florida to see what they can offer. Has anyone stayed at the marina Palace or adjoining all-suites ? Thanks for your help.
Jun 14th, 2004, 07:32 AM

You also might want to take a look at the Ipanema Plaza which is a newer hotel one block from the beach but right in the middle of Ipanemas bars and restaurants and night life. The Marina hotels in Leblon are also very nice but of course The Ceaser Park is the best if you are willing to spend that kind of money. Also your comment about Blameitonrio4travel.com is a frequent complaint of him but sometimes he is delayed and will get back to you as his servers go down frequently as he has told me. Have you tried www.ipanema.com ?
Jun 14th, 2004, 01:07 PM

Just a bit of clarification: While there is a favela on the cliff behind the Sheraton, it doesn't endanger guests. My husband and I have stayed there five times. The children from the favela sometimes play on the public beach in front of the Sheraton; they swim so well in that sometimes rough water. Anyway, most people in favelas are poor; most people in favelas are not criminals. Criminals also leave the favelas to prey upon people in other areas. And actually, there is little reason to walk outside the Sheraton grounds at night as it's on a narrow roadway up against that cliff. We usually go into town at night and taxi back.
Jun 14th, 2004, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

Dondiega. I will persevere with my attempts to find out if the lights are still on at Caesar Park Ipanema. I have sent their management an email and have also contacted BrazilNuts in Florida who seem to offer a rather (suprisingly) low rate for a 4 day package at that hotel. I definately need a top beach view room. Marigold, all I said is that there is a Favela there and that others have commented that it was not fun walking around there outside the hotel at night. I make no judgement about the people of the Favelas but have read on this Forum and elsewhere that there are problems in that area for some who venture out of the Sheraton. It sounds like a great location if with children and inclined to travel by taxi. We are middle aged characters who need to walk extessively and to spend time in the Bossanova and Samba District of Ipanema.
Jun 14th, 2004, 06:18 PM

The Sheraton is a fine hotel, I used to stay there years ago for some reason but now I prefer to be right in the middle of the action to walk right out my door and to be right in Rio with the cafes, the beach and all it has to offer. If I was bringing my family to Rio then the Sheraton or the Intercontinental would be a perfect spot. Near the Sheraton yes there is a favela and even if there wasn't you should not wlak outside at night in dark empty streets no where in Rio. During the day you can go just about anywhere. Recently they discovered that in the sewers in Ipanema these kids were living near Farme de amoeada and they would come out of the sewer and rob people and then go back in. The authorities found them and removed them so just be aware everywhere .
Jun 14th, 2004, 10:57 PM
Original Poster

Like you Dondiega, we need action. At least with the Sheraton you probably dont have to contact them 6 times before they respond and their internet reservation service probably works too. I have been waiting a week to hear back from Marina and 2 weeks and 6 messages from Caesar Park. I arranged a Caesar Park registration number and even that doesnt seem to help. I had absolutely no problems communicating with hotels and other businesses in Buenos Aires and have had no other problems in arranging a 2 month travel itinerary through South America and Europe. i will get on the phone tommorrow and sort it out.
Jun 15th, 2004, 04:52 AM

Here is the fax number for Caesar Park in case you get a better response this way - 021.2521.6000. I am not sure of the country code that you will need to use. Here is the website for the Marina All Suites Hotel: http://www.marinaallsuites.com.br/
Their fax is 021.2294.1644.
Finally, you might want to consider the Praia Ipanema (http://www.praiaipanema.com/) all of their contact info is on the site. Ask for a deluxe room on a high level floor for the best views. Good luck!
Jun 15th, 2004, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks sclubb. I will do just that:it will probably cut down the response time by a week or two. I am not sure who owns the Caesar Hotel Chain - it was once owned by Aoki Corporation in Japan. All I know is that the internet is not the most efficient means of communicating with what many regard to be the best hotel in Rio. Thanks again.
Jun 15th, 2004, 03:37 PM
wj1

SydneySteve:

Woud you do us a favor and let us know if you ever get a response from Caesar Park? And if you do, could you let us know how the rate compares with BrazilNuts? Thanks.
Jun 15th, 2004, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

Will do - havent heard back from the BrazilNuts yet. I sent a message through their web site a few days back asking about 4 day package including Caesar Park Ipanema. I understand they are Florida US based.
Jun 20th, 2004, 08:39 PM
Original Poster

I finally got some answers after faxing my questions ? I didnt get answers to my questions. I got a printout by email of 19 different rates from Marina Towers and All Suites which have no descriptions. Caesar Park sent me an email saying they didnt get my emails which doesnt correlate to my understanding because the emails were not returned and had the correct address. All they sent was a pdf file with corporate rates which are higher than the rates offered on the internet. I will let you all know what I do and where I get the best rate, but have decided to try Sofitel and maybe a few others on the beach as well. I received no response from the BrazilNuts - maybe they cant do the rates at the Caesar Park with tour content that they indicate on their site.
Jun 22nd, 2004, 05:37 AM

Have you tried www.ipanema.com? I've used them in the past to book hotels in Rio. We've also used Bobby at www.blameitonrio4travel.com. Good Luck.
Jul 13th, 2004, 04:00 AM
Original Poster

Just to respond with the outcome of my research. BrazilNuts did not respond to my two emails. I sensed their package deal for the Caesar Park Ipanema was just too good. Caesar Park finally responded with unimpressive rates. They seem to have problems answering emails also and claim they did not recieve them despite correct addresses. www.ipanema.com was helpful but could only post same rates as hotel offer on the net. We settled on a suite at Marina Palace on the refurbished executive floor looking out to sea and up the beach in a corner room and at a rate far less than the Caesar Park would offer for a standard room.
Jul 13th, 2004, 06:49 AM

FAVELAS. do not be so scared of favelas, they are like any other poor neighborhood in latin america. i am not telling you to venture inside, but is more the publicity than the reality. cariocas will not go by if there is no need, like peruvians and argentinians would not go into their poor areas. there are paid tours of favelas and would be a great idea for you to experience one. i took the tour on a saturday night of the ROSSINIA, and was nothing special about it, small convenient stores, bunch of ladies having their hair and nails done...etc...
there is crime, drugs and prostitution in some of them...same in NY, Miami, Chicago, Madrid, Paris...

Jul 14th, 2004, 02:56 AM
Original Poster

Miguel, we are not scared of favelas. I have been reading of a few tour companies that take people in to Favelas. While this is our first trip to Rio, I have been influenced over the years by the music of Antonio Carlos Jobim and by movies like Black Orpheus. Much of the Brasilian music in the collection I have is inspired by the poor as well as by those who have attained wealth. I had a large poster of Rio photographed from Corcavado on my wall at the age of 13 and I am now over 50. This is a very special journey for me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO