Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Black Rock -Have you changed your mind? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/black-rock-have-you-changed-your-mind-281408/)

bill Dec 26th, 2002 08:05 AM

Black Rock -Have you changed your mind?

Back in January, Lan wrote that he would not stay at Black Rock due to murder that took place. Was wondering if you had changed your mind about that.

Lan Sluder Dec 26th, 2002 09:40 AM

In my case, it wasn't so much the murders (the manager and assistant manager were killed, a guest raped about a year ago). Rather it was the lodge ownership's approach to managing the developing situation at the lodge, which in my opinion they should have known about. And also their reaction following the event. <BR><BR>In that respect my opinion hasn't changed. When I was in Cayo a few weeks ago, believe I saw that Black Rock was for sale, so should ownership change I might look at the situation again. <BR><BR>Separately, I would note that the situation with Guatemalan gangs crossing the border and causing trouble in border areas of western Belize does continue. Lodges there have increased security. And I know the owner of a lodge not far from Black Rock, who formerly didn't believe in having weapons, now keeps a couple. <BR><BR>Having said all that (which is entirely my personal opinion) I have heard from several people who have stayed at Black Rock in the past year and who have enjoyed their stays, which were trouble-free.<BR><BR>--Lan Sluder

p_cook Jun 15th, 2004 01:30 PM

I am a person who has has stayed at the Black Rock Lodge AFTER &quot;the incident&quot; Lan has made reference to. I knew about the incident before I made my reservations there but already had my heart set on the place and we went in Summer of 2002 and had a fabulous time. I highly recommend this place. I have not been to any other jungle lodge so I have nothing to compare it to but we were completely happy with our stay at Black Rock. We stayed for 3 nights, which seemed like the perfect length of time to be there. I might have gotten bored if we were there for a week since it is so remote and once you are there, you are pretty much there for the duration of your stay. The day activities they have are awesome. The food was delicious. The cabanas were wonderful, clean, well-kept, comfortable. We felt like we were In Jurassic Park, minus the sinosuars, because being there is like being in another world, a very beautiful, peaceful, scenic world. I am glad Lan has not permanently banned the place from his list.

LanSluder Jun 15th, 2004 04:17 PM

I haven't been to Black Rock in the past 18 months, but I do consistently hear good things about the &quot;new&quot; Black Rock. So I would say, yeah, go for it.

It's just me, but I still would still feel a little creeped out about staying there. It's like buying a house where's there' been an awful crime. You get a good deal on the price, but it's always there in the back of your mind. But I'm sure most people don't feel the way I do.

--Lan Sluder

Katie_Valk Jun 16th, 2004 03:55 AM

My clients have been very happy at BR and I book people there who want a moderately priced jungle lodge in jungle, rather than cleared farmland. Lovely part of the Macal River.