Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

BJX to San Miguel-Availablilty of taxis and cost?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are about to book a flight to BJX and will be arriving about 10 at night. Does anyone know if there will still be taxis at the airport and how much the fare to San Miguel Allende will be?
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 05:43 PM

We arrived at 10 one night on the flight from Houston and there were many taxis available. Our last trip was about 4 years ago and the cost was around 750 pesos ($70 US at the time), probably it has risen a bit since. If staying at a hotel in SMdA you can ask them if they have pick-up services and what the cost is.

Are you sure you want to make that drive at night? We just stayed in Guanajuato a day or so, which is much closer, then went to San Miguel.

Have fun, San Miguel was a very pleasant place to visit (as was Guanajuato).

Bill
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 05:54 PM

Just curious about this so poked around a bit ... this site may be of help ... http://www.internetsanmiguel.com/gethere.html ... it mentions that the airport in Queretaro is now servicing Houston and LAX and is about 40 miles from SM instead of 110 miles to Leon (BJX).

One of the links on that page ( http://www.internetsanmiguel.com/tours.html ) lists some private companies offering transport to SM and I see one for $72 for 2 for a private vehicle and another for $27/each which must be a shared vehicle, ie, up to six pax. For an extra $18 I'd go for the private one every time, but it does look like you have choices.

Bill
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 06:18 PM

I am sure you can get a taxi, but gosh that's a long haul at night. More than 2 hours by Taxi. How about staying in Leon or by the airport and taking a first class bus the next day.
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 10:34 PM

In December, I will be landing in BJX around 9 PM (this was changed to a few hours later from the time I originally booked it). I'm also considering whether to stay by the airport that night. I have read that most of Mexico's accidents take place at night.
Old Sep 25th, 2008, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Bill but we visited Guanajuato last year.I checked the Queretaro airport but we are flying in on Feb. 14- President's week and the flight cost is very high.We found a flight for $550- round trip from Bos-BJX-return Mexico City Bos . All other places cost a lot more. Dude and Will- I like that suggestion and will look into it. Thanks.