Search

Birding close to Alajuela

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Birding close to Alajuela

I have olf friends coming that are avid birders. I have taken them all over the country for birding. For this trip, I would like to keep them as close to Alajuela as possible before their trip back. Last year it was Cartago. Where else can they relax and see birds a couple days before they depart, that is close to the airport? Thanks!
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 05:19 PM

Xandari has a morning bird walk with a guide. I didn't go with a guide but I loved walking the trails to the waterfalls. Lots of birds. We enjoyed staying at Xandari--nice pools, reasonable prices in the lovely restaurant, wonderful grounds and gardens, complimentary breakfast.
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 06:28 PM

La Selva/Selva Verde in Sarapiqui is about 1 1/2 hours away, not sure if that is too far, but great birding, especially the great green macaws. You can hire a guide at La Selva, while Selva Verde offers free birding walks in the AM and PM.
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 06:30 PM

Agree, Xandari seemed to have tons of birds. Sorry not a birder so don't know if they were your run of the mill birds or really interesting, but there were a lot of them. Not to mention great villas there, views and about 15-20 minutes to the airport. The grounds are amazing, a lot of hard work and thoughtful planning.
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 07:05 PM

We saw a beautiful Mot Mot at Xandari.
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

How easy are the trails at Xandari? One of my friends is pushing 80 years young and can't do a lot of stairs ....only easy 'simi flat' walking. He has been fine just sitting around other lodges with his binoculars but it would be nice to know ahead of time.
I will also look into Selva Verde. I don't know yet what their departure time is so 1-1/2 hrs may or may not not be too far.
Thanks everyone!
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 08:49 AM

I remember them being fairly easy. There are also several small waterfalls that you can hike to. They have a nice open air restaurant. Great views from Xandari.
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 01:46 PM

Selva Verde area is a great choice.Lots of edge habitat, gardens, the river, etc. They could do fine just on the grounds which are pretty much flat. Nearby is the La Selva Biological Station. An early morning [dawn]stroll along the last couple of hundred yards of the La Selva entrance road and around the cafeteria / visitor centre lawns can yield excellent birding, including some real "goodies". Again, very flat terrain. This area has some of the best birding in CR.
Cheers-Jerry
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 02:26 PM

Bosque de Paz too far? East of Zarcero, right tully?
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 02:34 PM

Good thought. I haven't been there myself but know lots of folks who have. Great for hummingbirds and quite a few highland species. Again edges, river etc. They regularly get black guan at their feeders. I believe that many of the trails into the forest are quite steep. But would be interesting birding from the deck and lawns /roadside.
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 02:56 PM
RAC

The La Selva/Selva Verde area is spectacular for birding. We got bored seeing toucans, to give you some idea.
Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Xandari and Selva both look awesome! Now I need to find out what time their flight leaves! Thanks everyone!
Tully, I await your reply regarding Bosque de Paz (Thanks Shillmac!)
Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 04:20 PM

Bosque de Paz yes had tons of birds. Especially hummingbirds and large black ones that often ate the bird food alongside agoutis. The trails were a mix of flat and hilly. There was one long one to the right of the small bridge that was about 40 minutes long and all flat. The other way, at the fork, ends up branching off several times but also had 1-2 all flat loops, the others were hilly. Very peaceful, low key place. I'd also mention it was pretty nippy there after sunset. It was about 2 hours from SJ, after Zarcero.
Old Jul 4th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Okay, now I have a thrid place to explore! Thanks Tully!
Old Jul 4th, 2010, 11:22 AM

Do your friends have a "wish list" either species or types of birds they want to see? If so, post it here and we can quickly make an educated suggestion.

cheers- Jerry
Old Jul 5th, 2010, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

I'm sure they have some kind of list...is it called a "life list" in birding? Anyway, I'll find out and post it!
Old Jul 5th, 2010, 09:14 AM

Actually a 'life list' is everything they HAVE seen, but I'm guessing they have some particular species or groups of birds they they have yet to see, or would really like to see again... Or if you post their CR life list we could help fill in the blanks.
Old Jul 5th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Well, I heard back from my friends and they said they have seen hundreds of birds here so it doesn't matter what they see! Okay, so I guess I'll just decide which place will be more comfortable for them. Thanks again everyone.... and thanks gannetmusic for clarifying what 'life list' means! I knew I had heard that term in regards to birding but didn't know what it was!
Old Jul 5th, 2010, 04:59 PM

You are welcome. For hummingbirds definitely Bosque de Paz is best. They have feeders and there are some beauties at that altitude [approx 4800 feet above sea level], including the big spectacular violet sabrewing. Several other good birds there including the big black guans that Tully and I mentioned earlier. Cool nights and moderate temperature days. They also get agouti and nocturnal paca [ big rodent] coming into their feeders.

Selva Verde area is a different habitat of course, in the Caribbean lowlands. Three species of toucans are common in this area, as well as several species of parrots and some very beautiful tanagers. Lots of other birds including tons of flycatchers, various motmots, puffbirds, manakins, antbirds,tinamous etc etc. Some big impressive birds such as great currasows which can be quite common at La Selva. Also excellent for poison dart frogs. Mammals we've seen here include collared peccaries,prehensile-tailed porcupines, neotropical otters. tamandua, agouti, and three species of monkeys. Also saw an impressive fer-de-lance on the grounds of Selva Verde.
You can't go far wrong with either of these options. Xandari is not in the same league as the other two.
cheers -Jerry
Old Jul 11th, 2010, 09:32 AM

I love Xandari but agree with Jerry; it's not a big birding paradise, more of a great hotel property that's beautiful and relaxing. If you're looking for comfort like you mentioned, Xandari is great, but for true birding, I'd go with one of the other options.