Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   beware fraudulent cc charges (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/beware-fraudulent-cc-charges-924845/)

sylvia3 Feb 21st, 2012 02:13 PM

beware fraudulent cc charges

Almost 3 weeks later, 3 bogus charges for more than $800 each have appeared.

colibri Feb 22nd, 2012 05:52 AM

From hotels, car rental companies, restaurants? Places you dealt with on your trip or unknown?

sylvia3 Feb 22nd, 2012 06:08 AM

Unknown as yet; but given the particular card, we are thinking it is most likely a gas station(s).

incabod Feb 22nd, 2012 08:36 AM

That's messed up, keep the forum posted on this and try and identify the culprit. Sorry to hear about your troubles.

sylvia3 Feb 22nd, 2012 09:04 AM

Thanks! No troubles, as bank (cc company) called us immediately (charges were "pending").
Doubt we'll ever know who stole the info, but we thought we were very careful!

suze Feb 22nd, 2012 09:43 AM

Well my experience is all in Mexico, not Costa Rica, but I never use a credit card to pay for anything out and about, like restaurants or gas or whatever. To secure the room, then pay the hotel bill when I check out is the only time I ever use it.

sylvia3 Feb 22nd, 2012 10:18 AM

Never eat in restaurants much while traveling, but carrying buckets of cash around is anathema to me. Especially since you are pretty much protected from fraud by cc companies (as proved nicely by this situation).
My card was scanned in several groceries and 2 hotels (to pay for tours, charges, outstanding balances, etc.; all very trustworthy places)
DH's card was used in a bank ATM machine once, and several gas stations; his was the one with the info stolen.

suze Feb 22nd, 2012 10:31 AM

syliva3, Believe me I don't carry "buckets of cash around". I go to an ATM and use the safe in my hotel room.

Yes I know that cc are "protected from fraud" but for me it's easier to just avoid the possibility in the first place by not using them in certain parts of the world.

Dayenu Feb 22nd, 2012 11:46 AM

Thanks for the warning, I'm surprised the CC bank noticed! Usually it's the statement that alerts us.

As for ATm vs. credit card... one can easily become a scam victim with either.

qwovadis Feb 23rd, 2012 01:50 AM

Got dinged on this in the past by USave Avanti car rental and 1-costaricalink not to be confused with1costaricalink. Also
1 gas sttation around Areanl in the past.But I had 0% liability.

Always use Credit Card protects me from liability I never travel with debit card 100% liability have seen folks lose all their money with Debit Card..

sylvia3 Feb 23rd, 2012 07:35 AM

I don't know if it helped, in regard to cc/bank notifying us of possible fraud, but we gave the information about dates we were going to be gone and where we were going to cc customer service.