Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Better to rent a car or use drivers/public transit in Sacred Valley/Cusco/Machu Pichu trip in June?

Search

Better to rent a car or use drivers/public transit in Sacred Valley/Cusco/Machu Pichu trip in June?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2008, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
My husband and I (both in our late 40s and very active) are spending 9 days or so in June to visit the Sacred Valley, Machu Pichu/Aquas Caliente and Cusco. I'd appreciate advice on renting a car versus winging it with drivers and taxis from a cost and hassle perspective. We were just in Costa Rica and saw a lot of things we would not of seen if we had not rented a car. However, it seems we don't really need a car once we actually get to our destinations -- Ollanta, Cusco, MP/AC). Suggestions?
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 07:03 AM

The road ends at Ollantaytambo and the only way to get to AC/MP is by train.
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 08:41 AM

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts
Someone posted a report not long ago who rented a car (you could prob find it using the search box). Seemed to work well for them. We hired a guide for our Sacred Valley days and were very happy with him. We got to go where we wanted, when we wanted. With our own car, we might have done a few more serendipitous things. Roads are ok - quite a few potholes, though. But there's not much traffic, so driving would be pretty easy. I think the one concern I've seen expressed is that the roads are not well marked, so that might be an issue.
If you want to use drivers/taxis, it's pretty easy and not terribly expensive. Your hotel should be able to arrange for a taxi to transport you around the Sacred Valley.
Hope this helps.
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 04:09 PM

I suggest NOT to rent a car. The road end in Ollantaytambo and the roads are not as well marked. Also, June is high season (even though all year seems high season now). I agree with Althom, it is not expensive to hire a driver when you are in Cusco and the Sacred Valley. Safe the money from the rental and stay at the Macchu Picchu Pueblo Hotel (Inka Terra)in aguas Calientes.

Old Jan 17th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Okay, so can not take take a cab from Ollanta to Agua Calientes, the only waty is by train? Another transporation qusestion is the day our flight arrives in Cuzco, we want to take a train directly to Ollanta but we will not be arriving in Cuzco until after the Backpacker and Vistadome have left -- I think we get in @8am. So, is there another train to get to Ollanta -- it sounds like a pretty train ride so we'd rather do that than cab or get a driver for the Cuzco-Ollanta trip. Thanks everyone. Also, did anyone go in June? I am wondering just how many warm clothes to bring. The guide books say it is in the 30s (F) at night and 60s (F) during the day. I assume we'll be fine hiking around during the day in light zip-off pants and wear jeans in town at night with fleece . . .?
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 08:12 AM

Yes you can take a train from Cusco to Ollanta. The Train Staion is next to the Market in Cusco and it is like a Zoo. However one of the reasosn why I am suggesting to take a driver immediately from the airport into Ollanta is to avoid the High Altitued sickness "Soroche" If you start going down right after landing it is going to be a safer way for your body. My husband still fainted (and he's been there many times) because we made the mistake of stopping at the Cathedral in Cusco before heading down to Ollanta!. If you go to the Train Staion first you might hava a hard time adjusting too. Besides by car on the way down to Ollanta the driver can stop in "Awanacancha" to look at the diferent Llamas, Alpacas, Vicunas and then stop in Pisac and finally get to Ollanta at around 1pm. That gives you plenty of time to still enjoy the ruins of Ollantaytambo and then stay a night in Ollanta before going down to MP.
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks "lunita" . . . I think we will do this. We may have the driver drive the other way to Ollanta so we can see Chinchero, Moray, etc. How far is Awanacancha from Cuzco? We will be spending 3 days in Cuzco at the end of our trip and we were planning on dedicating a day to going to Pisac -- maybe we could visit Awanacancha then?
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 05:45 PM

Awanacancha is 35-40 min from the airport and you just need an hour to see it.
Moray is just amazing and we also went there after MP and the SV on our way back to Cusco. Same with Chincheros.
Since you are going to stay 3 days in Cuzco. Other than the regular stops (Saksayhuaman, churches) try to go to Tipon and to Andahuayliyas. The latter is called the Sixtine Chapel of South America. Google it and you'll see.
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 04:44 AM

Hi hamburger,

We rented a car for our Cusco/Sacred Valley/Machu Picchu trip and were very happy that we did. It worked out splendidly for us!

Here is the link to my trip report where I detail the experience of renting a car, driving, road conditions, etc:
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=35085466
(If this link doesn't work, click on my username and it's about the 7th post down "Our report from 1 week exploring Cusco/SV/MP"

Hope this helps!
Good luck and happy, safe travels.
>-