Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Better Beaches in Cancun, Cozumel or PDC? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/better-beaches-in-cancun-cozumel-or-pdc-101405/)

Jeff Jan 22nd, 2001 09:07 AM

Better Beaches in Cancun, Cozumel or PDC?

Just wondering who has better beaches and water on east side of Mexico. Also, We are a couple in late 20's looking for lots of activities on and off resort, some shopping and nightlife, and an all around great experience. Had heard that Cozumel was just for snorkling and diving and that Cancun was just much too overdeveloped with little charm. <BR> Any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

dan woodlief Jan 22nd, 2001 09:40 AM

Playa del Carmen would be my pick. As far as beaches go, Cancun and Playa del Carmen have very nice ones. I didn't get to visit all of Cozumel, but I wasn't very impressed with the beaches there in comparison to the other two. Your criteria suggest Cancun except for the concern over "charm." Cancun has variety, but I don't think charm would apply. Playa is a nice place in itself, but it is also very convenient for daytrips to Mayan ruins, snorkeling/parks (e.g., Xel-Ha), and other interesting places. Plus, you can just hop on the ferry to Cozumel if you want to see it (rent a vehicle when you get there). As far as beaches go, I also really liked Playa Norte on Isla Mujeres, but you would find much less to do there. You might want to take a look at my travelogues at oneeyed.homestead.com to help you make up your mind (still under construction, I might add).

Jane Jan 22nd, 2001 03:52 PM

Haveing stayed at both Cozumel and Playa Del Carmen I agree with Dan. PDC has a lot of charm, good restaurants, nice beaches etc. We loved it and are going back in March. Be sure to go to Cozumel for some snorkeling as there are lots of places you can wade out and see plenty of fish. Check out www.Locogringo.com for some good pictures and info on the area. Also www.playaguide.com

Peter Jan 23rd, 2001 08:51 AM

y

Roberto Jan 29th, 2001 05:09 PM

Playa del Carmen is where you want to be, just returned and the beaches are by far superior to those in Cancun and Cozumel. We stayed at a condo about two block from the beach had a great time! Their web site is www.playadelcarmenvacation.com they have a great FAQ section and a decent map. Enjoy your vacation.

linda from NJ Jan 31st, 2001 03:42 AM

Where is the best place to stay in Playa Del Carma? How far is it from Cancun. What activities are there bedside beach and hotel.

LIZ Jan 31st, 2001 07:12 AM

Hi Linda from NJ, this is Liz from NJ <BR> <BR>The best place to stay in PDC is just a matter of taste...Hotels there run the gamut from large all-inclusive resorts to small cabanas on the beach and everything in between....So it just depends on what you're looking for and what you want to pay.... <BR> <BR>As far as things to do, we've been to the area 3 times and haven't done it all yet...We just sort of get lazy and stick with the sun and sea and drinkin' and eatin' after a couple of days....But there are archaeological sites such as Tulum and Coba and Chitzen Itza (which is a schlep from PDC)...There are so called eco-parks like Xel Ha and Xareat (sp?)...Places to float down a river or thru caves on tubes or with a life jacket...Places to see and interact with dolphins....Good, charming restaurants and bars in town, with some of the best people-watching I've ever encountered.... <BR> <BR>I guess you can tell, we just love PDC and are planning another trip there this year....If I can answer any specific questions for you, please e-mail me... <BR> <BR>Have fun... LIZ

LIZ Jan 31st, 2001 07:15 AM

Oops Linda... <BR> <BR>Forgot to mention, PDC is about 50 miles south of Cancun... <BR> <BR>LIZ

rlk Feb 4th, 2001 03:23 PM

-- <BR>If I may add one more place into the mix -- how do these compare to Isla Mujeres? I'm looking for a casual R&R beach experience; know that Cancun has that great white sand with beautiful blue waters, but I'm a tad older and seeking a more easy going atmosphere. <BR> <BR>Any more feedback on how all these beaches compare to one another ???

Tina Feb 7th, 2001 09:07 AM

--- <BR>For 'Sam' --- if you're concerned that Cancun will be too crazy during mid-March with all the collegiates on spring break, perhaps you might consider Playa Del Carmen?