Best way to call the U.S. from Cozumel???

Old Apr 15th, 2003, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best way to call the U.S. from Cozumel???

I'm assuming our AT & T cellphone won't work in Cozumel. How about our Sprint prepaid phone card? Any suggestions?
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 05:35 PM

Buy a prepaid local calling card at your hotel or in one of the shops downtown. That is the cheapest. Seems like I bought one in Acapulco several years ago for $7-8 and as I recall it got me 15-20 minutes.<BR><BR>Sprint has a prepaid Mexico card - check it out at http://www.sprint.com/ratesandcondit...exicoprepd.pdf
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 05:47 AM

You can purchase a &quot;Ladatel&quot; (Telmex)card at MANY places--anywhere you see the &quot;Ladatel&quot; sign displayed. These come in demoniations of 30, 50 or 100 pesos and can be used in Ladatel phones all over the island. The cost to call the US is about 10/pesos (a little less than $1.00/minute).<BR>Whatever you do, don't use any of the phones you will see around the island saying you can use your credit card to call the US. These are often $5.00 a minute or more--you will be shocked when you see your bill!<BR><BR>
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 06:23 AM
TC

Don't assume your AT&amp;T cell phone won't work. Call AT&amp;T before you leave to ask. You can add an International calling plan on your existing program. Our friend used his AT&amp;T cell phone from the beach every day to speak with his office in Ohio. IT WASN'T CHEAP!<BR><BR>The cheapest way to call the US is at the Internet cafes. They have phones for calling the States for $.55 per minute. We liked the &quot;Crew Members&quot; club at the south end of main street - oceanside. Its near Acuario restaurant, just before the stop light.
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 10:35 AM
GoTravel

Call your provider. Very expensive.

Old Apr 17th, 2003, 04:36 PM

What TC said...<BR><BR>Using your cell phone can be quite economical, even beating the major dial-around services, which are what I usually use -- mostly just because they're so damn CONVENIENT.<BR><BR>You know those annoying commercials here in the U.S. for services like 1-800-COLLECT ? Well, they have 'em *FROM* Mexico to the U.S. too. AT&amp;T has a number, so does MCI, so does Telmex (1-800-SAVINGS).<BR><BR>I wrote an essay about ways to call to and from Mexico. If you want more info on the subject than you ever thought possible, see: http://www.epinions.com/content_3064438916<BR><BR>Have fun!<BR>Mark