Best Route from Chichen Itza to Playa del Carmen

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23rd, 2015, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In mid-February, I will be driving from Chichen Itza to Playa del Carmen.

Google Map Directions suggests turning off 180 E at El Tintal toward PDC. The road has no number, and on at least one map, there are breaks in the road.

The alternative is to stay on 180E to Cancun and go South on 307 to Playa del Carmen. It appears that will take about 30 minutes longer, but I’m more concerned with staying on a good, safe road rather than saving 30 minutes.

Do any of my Fodor friends have experience with these routes?
Old Dec 23rd, 2015, 02:12 PM

I can tell you our experience with the main roads there, not the turnoff you mention though.
We have picked up a car in Cancun and taken the cuota (toll road) to Valladolid. It's a boring, boring two lane (each way) road, with nothing along the way (towns are on the non-toll road, not recommended because of constant speed bumps marking those villages, and there are no obvious exits to that road once on the cuota), monotonous scenery (kind of walled in by plants), but well paved, so bring some music to keep you awake or a good conversation partner. Everyone speeds. The toll is paid well into the two hour trip from Cancun to Valladolid (same place as in other direction).
We continued on to Chichen Itza the next day. That road is fine too.
We have also driven up the 307 from Tulum into Playa del Carmen. The road is a very busy two to three lane, in good shape.
IMO Google maps is notoriously bad on how long the routes they map take.
Old Dec 24th, 2015, 05:47 AM

Just looked at a map, and I now see the road labeled Playa del Carmen--El Tintal, with no route number. I can't see much (villages, stops) along it. I can also see the non-cuota road that runs roughly parallel to the cuota, and is considerably larger on the map than that turnoff road. That parallel one, as mentioned, takes quite a bit more time because of speed bumps at villages along the way and generally lower speed, and it looks considerably more major than the little turnoff road, or for another example the road past Coba into Tulum, which is one lane each way, well-paved, but with some speed bumps through villages and at businesses. My suggestion would be (if you have decent Spanish) to ask someone at the toll "plaza" on the cuota about road conditions for that PdC-ET road. Or see if anyone in Valladolid (English speaking travel agent?) or at the car rental place knows the area/road.
Sorry for the ramble. Hope you can find some better info.
Enjoy your holiday.
Old Dec 27th, 2015, 06:06 AM

You are better off to travel from Piste [chichen itza] straight to Valladilid. A great little city and stop off in the main square area for a bite to eat and you can park anywhere around the main square. Afterwhich head off towards Tulum and at the traffic circle near Coba follow the directions for Tulum again. By the way, Coba is a very very interesting stop and you can rent bicycles and ride to the main pyramid and climb the highest pyramid in the Yucatan. This said, once in Tulum, turn left on the 307 headed north to Playa.
This route is a little longer but so much more interesting and the road conditions are excellent, not to forget the many stops that you can make on your way down which by the way are unavailable if you take the newer toll highway.
To add, you can also stop in EK BALAM , 20 minutes north of Valladolid which is another great site where you can climb the main pyramid...
Sorry, as I am all over the place with my reply, but I would strongly suggest you stay a night in valladolid, sleep over at the hotel in the main square called El Meson de Marquis, just fantastic and well priced... please have breakfast in the courtyard.... soooo beautiful and romantic !!!
Old Dec 27th, 2015, 08:40 AM

Good advice Rohelio.
Old Dec 27th, 2015, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Rohelio. That's an interesting option. I haven't used Google Map Directions, and some say they are unreliable as to times. If we decide to stop in Valladoid or Coba, your suggestions are welcome. IF we decide to get to PDC as quickly as possible, it still appears that the Google Map Directions having us taking the toll road to Cancun and south on 307is much quicker.
I've traveled a lot in Europe and use Via Michelin and MapQuest, but the latest iteration of MapQuest has me stumped -- even with exact addresses from Mayaland Hotel in Chichen Itza to the Playa Palms Hotel in PCD it won't produce directions.
But you give us a lot to think about. Thanks again, all.
Old Dec 28th, 2015, 10:38 AM

While Chichen Itza is the Mayan ruin that most people have heard about, we enjoyed both Ek Balam and Coba much more. They both feature a chance to climb a pyramid, which Chichen Itza no longer does. The ruin at Ek Balam has some beautiful carving (Jaguar's Mouth) halfway up, and some great jungle views. At Coba, you can also bike or pedicab through the jungle on the white Maya-built roadways. Chichen Itza is larger and more well-known, lined with table after table of cheap souvenirs and their persistent sellers, and filled with big groups of tourists. I would, like Rohelio, encourage you to make the time (maybe overnight in charming Valladolid)to visit these "other" two ruins in addition to their more famous cousin while you are "in the neighborhood".
Old Dec 28th, 2015, 12:19 PM

I have not taken it yet, but read earlier this year that a new toll road opened from PDC to Chichen Itza, it travels part of the way via the Cancun toll road then apparently branches off.
Old Dec 29th, 2015, 05:15 AM

The new toll road is accessible from the Constituyentes boul. in the north west direction. Once on the new highway you will encounter about 2 or 3 toll booths that amounts to appr. 200 pesos. I forget the exact amount now but it most certainly reduces travel time from Playa to Merida by about 1 hour. There is nothing to see along the way as it is cut out from the dense bush.
I would recommend if your sole intention is to get to Merida, but definitely not if you choose to take the tourist route and meander down to a given area.
As sambachula mentioned, EK BALAM (means black jaguar) is well worth the visit and is in many ways ahead of chichen itza. And yes... unfortunately this site(chic hen) is now cluttered with cheap souvenir salesman strewn throughout the site. It is popular now, more than ever because of it's seven wonders of the world designation.
Old Dec 29th, 2015, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

My Fodor friends give me a lot to think about. First, we will seriously consider the suggestions to explore Valladoid, Coba and other sites. Plan B.

Plan A is still having the quickest and easiest route from Chichen Ita to Playa del Carmen.

Rohelio, can you please give me more on the "new toll road from the Constitutyentes boul." I can't locate that. Wjere do I find that from Chichen Itza?

Thanks again.
Old Dec 29th, 2015, 04:05 PM

Constituyentes, is a main thouroughfare in Playa itself. The ADO buses take it now to access the toll road to avoid all the traffic in and around Playa and the 307 highway.
The one and only way to quickly access PDC from Piste (chichen itza) is ti go through Valladolid first... You have no other choice. Only in Valladolid can you choose to take the toll road or the old road towards Tulum. If you choose the new toll road, you will save about one hours time and you do not have to go trough Cancun. On your way east on the toll road watch for signs for Playa and veer right to get to the 307. The new toll road is not all that well known... Some say it is the 180. One thing for sure is signs are few and far between but consolation is you cant really get lost !!