Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Best restaurants (open post Wilma) in Cancun hotel zone

Old Jan 11th, 2006, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have traveled to Playa del Carmen many times, but last year, for the first time, we went to Cancun for 2 nights after 6 in Playa, staying at the wonderful Le Meridien. In spite of Wilma, we are planning on returning to Le Meridien, this time for 3 nights. We are looking for suggestions for the best restaurants in the Hotel Zone (best not necessarily equating the most expensive!). We ate at Laguna Grill last year and enjoyed it immensely. Any other suggestions??
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 09:18 AM

fodors restaurant section has lots of good ideas! Make sure to go downtown to Las Habichuelas! The best restaurant in Cancun!
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 08:22 AM

We will also be staying at Le Meridien. I recently emailed the concierge and she gave me these reccomendations: Aioloi's, Ruth's Chris, Cennacolo, Puerto Madero, Lorenzillos, and Casa Rolandi. I have been searching these on the internet and most of them look nice. Has anyone been to any of these? I think we will try Las Habichuelas for our anniversary, it looks like a special place.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

We actually did eat at La Habichuela last year and enjoyed it immensely (other than the unbelievably obnoxious large party at the next table - truly the epitome of "the ugly American"). Try to get a table outside in the garden! Be advised that it is about a $10 cab ride (or more) in each direction from Le Meridien.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 03:24 PM

or you can cheaply take the bus straight into town. Very easy and a fun experience!
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 04:18 PM

Ruths Chris has a great steak but you don't really get any kind of local atmosphere. Riding the bus is fun if you are out bumming around but you might not want to take one if you have dressed nicely for an expensive dinner. They are sometimes crowded and usually all the windows are open so it is quite windy (which feels great but may not be condusive to hair styling).
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 08:22 AM
pnb

If you are looking for great restaurants in the hotel zone I suggest the following:

Cambalache for some amazing Argentinian steak. It was absolutely delicious steak and this comes from someone who has eaten at Sparks, Capitol Grille, Ruth's Chris, and Delmonicos in NYC.

A really wonderful, less expensive dinner can be had at La Fisheria. It's great seafood at an affordable price. I believe it's in the Plaza Caracol mall but I'm not 100% sure.

Enjoy!