Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Best Restaurants in Playa del Carmen and Cozumel? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/best-restaurants-in-playa-del-carmen-and-cozumel-130106/)

Pam Jun 14th, 2001 08:56 AM

Best Restaurants in Playa del Carmen and Cozumel?

NEED HELP!!!! Which are the absolute "must-eat-at" restaurants (not super fancy and not Americanized) in both Playa del Carmen and Cozumel? On previous vacations we've spent the first couple days choosing our own restaurants. By the end of our stay we "found out" from other travelers where the best places were. This time we want to hit these places from the START!

Tony Jun 17th, 2001 09:04 PM

Hi Pam, I been to Cozumel many times and I'll be back on the 24th of this month. My favorite is "The Mission". There are two of them the best one is further east of town, away from the square. See ya there.....

scott in cowtown Jun 24th, 2001 07:56 PM

Try Prima Pasta on the square. Some of the best Italian food you'll eat anywhere with a great balcony setting...

LIZ Jun 24th, 2001 08:12 PM

In Playa Del Carmen, Yaxche has great Mayan food...<BR>La Parrilla has a great selection...Try to get a table outside, at 8 oclock, a mariachi band plays in the street...<BR>If you like lobster (not cold water type), try the Blue Lobster...<BR><BR>Have fun... LIZ

Jane Jun 25th, 2001 11:29 AM

Hi<BR>Be sure and eat at Pancho's Backyard in COZ - very nice atmosphere, good food, good service. In PDC don't miss Mascaras - excellent gourmet pizza cooked in a wood oven, also good steak/lobster for two, banannas flambe, nice atmosphere, good service.

Susan Jun 25th, 2001 05:21 PM

I like Mascaras in Playa del Carmen (same posted by Jane). Also had a wonderful Thai shrimp dinner at the Thai restaurants on Avenida 5 last time. It was excellent. We had dinner at da Gabi last time - it's Italian and very nice, pretty setting as well. In Cozumel, Prima is good (someone else posted that). Also we like the place that used to be called Pizza Rolandi - it has a different name now. Pretty patio and good food. <BR><BR>Pam, there's so many restaurants there - I'm sure you'll find some great places of your own.

susan Jun 26th, 2001 01:28 PM

In Cozumel, don't bother with Prima--everyone says it's fantastic, but it's not very local. We found La Choza on our last day and it was fantastic (and we only had fajitas).

peggy Jun 30th, 2001 06:56 AM

Hi Pam - <BR>We have a condo in Playa and always ask our renters to post their favorites. Haven't been there since May but a general consensus is as follows:<BR><BR>Yaxche which is a Mayan restaurtant <BR><BR>100% Natural for the following:<BR>chiliquelles<BR>especial mexicana (great chicken entre)<BR>ensalada nopales (wonderful cactus salad<BR><BR>Buenos Aries was a new one we found in May. One of our renters loved it and they ate there 3x in one week. Argentian Beef - wonderfully prepared is their speciality. Located between 5th and 10th on the same street as Hagaan Daze (near to the ferry). You'll see the sign from the street and need to walk back past several smaller locales to get there.<BR><BR>For authentic and inexpensive tacos - walk up Juarez to El Sarape. Located between 20th and 30th. <BR><BR>have fun - <BR>peggy<BR>www.playadelcarmenvacation.com<BR>

xxxxxxxxxxxxx Jun 30th, 2001 01:25 PM

We have been to the Italian places in Cozumel--I say why bother? OUr favorites are El Moro, La Choza, El Capi Navigante, The Mission--great local specialties and seafood. Also, a bit out of town, but "The Lobster House" has great lobsters--in a gardeny, very natural setting. Not a walk to get there.