Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Best restaurant in Cozumel? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/best-restaurant-in-cozumel-147646/)

Ellen Jan 7th, 2003 08:57 AM

Best restaurant in Cozumel?

What is your favorite and why?

Brad Jan 7th, 2003 11:30 AM

Prima Trattoria- Excellent Italian on a very pretty rooftop in town. It is very crowded when the cruise ships come in. Very decent prices and wine list. <BR><BR>La Casa de La Mission- A taxi cab or a 15 minute walk through town brings you to an authentic hometown, Mexican restaurant. There are several resturants with this name all trying to capitalize on the real deal. You know you have found the right place because its surrounded by beautiful gardens and it actually once was a mission which was converted into a restaurant. During the cooler months an outside table looking over the gardens is awesome.

TC Jan 11th, 2003 07:55 AM

Brad - Is La Casa de la Mission the restaurant with the caged animals? Everyone was boycotting it last winter because of alleged mistreatment of the animals. We didn't check it out and I'm wondering what you thought. Obviously from your post, you were impressed with the restaurant.<BR><BR>As for my personal favorites - Casa Denis off the main square for friendly waiters, authentic food and great people watching, El Moro in the suburbs for great seafood in a family run atmosphere and El Turix near Corpus Christi Cathedral for the most authentic Yucatacean food - quite different from the typical &quot;Mexican&quot; fare.

chris Jan 15th, 2003 02:20 PM

Food:<BR>Santiagos – great key lime pie and shrimp dinner on veranda<BR>Prima – great balcony terrace, awesome itlaian and steak<BR>La Veranda – very romantic outside patio, good food,<BR>

Robert Jan 16th, 2003 06:08 AM

Some good restaurants have been listed but , in my opinion, one of the best and one of the few gourmet restaurants in Cozumel--La Cocay. Elegant atmosphere, excellent service and outstanding food prepared in an open kitchen. A bit difficult to find but really not far from the ocean and on a square near one of the churches. Just ask a taxi driver.<BR>A great experience and, fortunately, pretty much undiscovered by the tourists.<BR><BR>

Peggy Jan 16th, 2003 08:54 PM

El Capi Navigante for excellent seafood and table side prep. and flaming desserts; La Choza; Primos for Italian

Beth Jan 25th, 2003 04:20 PM

Just returned from a 5 day scuba diving vacation in Cozumel. My vote would be La Choza - wonderful seafood, Yucatan and Mayan specials. La Cocay was really good but quite pricey and both couples got sick after eating there. Rock N Java was great for breakfast.

Robert Jan 26th, 2003 10:16 AM

LaCocay is good and is pricey but have eaten there 5 or 6 times the past year and never been sick--but can happen anyplace. In my many years of going to Cozumel, I have only been sick from the food at one place--La Choza!

dave Jan 26th, 2003 07:54 PM

pepes. best steak in coz

dave Jan 26th, 2003 07:57 PM

la cucina. name might have changed?