Reload this Page >

Best place to vacation in Mexico?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 1997, 10:16 AM
Rita Gradig

I am planning a trip to Mexico at the end of May to play in the sun. Any suggestions of the best place to go? Alcapoco or Puerto Vallarta??? Thanks in Advance!

Old May 2nd, 1997, 06:52 PM
Dee

Rita, My husband and I have been to both Acapulco and Puerto Vallarta, I would return to Puerto Vallarta long before I would ever go back to Acapulco, but it really depends on what kind of vacation you are looking for. We enjoy water sports and a nice walk along the beach. If you are at the Acapulco Princess or out away from downtown in Acapulco you could be okay. If you are looking for nightlife and lots of people try Acapulco and you may even want to think about Cancun. Good luck!

Old May 2nd, 1997, 07:40 PM
geri

I vote for Puerto Vallarta also.If you get a chance, visit some of the quaint fishing villages to the north (take a bus or rent a car) to get a glimpse of "real" Mexico.

geri

Old May 14th, 1997, 04:10 PM
Paul

The last place I'd go is those two BIG cities. There so many other places that have both night life and scenery in addition too things to do. Cabo san Lucas has all of these. It's cheaper too. We got a 3nt/4day package that included air, hotel (including taxes and service charges) and airport transfers for $450 per person. Call Alaska Airlines or talk to your travel agent. Airfare alone to PV is $250-300. If you would go to Hawaii and stay in Honolulu then by all means go to PV or Acapulco.

Old May 17th, 1997, 08:56 PM
Gabriela

Well, I know all the mexican beaches (I am mexican), if you want to go on a very relaxed plan, go to Huatulco, it is a new, but gorgeous place...but my #1 beach in this world would have to be Cancoun, definetely the world's mosy beautul beach, also, one of the most expensive, so be really prepared.
But, from the options you mentioned, I would choose Puerto Vallarta.

Old Jul 7th, 1997, 03:50 PM
Steve

Gabriela --

I noticed your post from May recommending Cancun as the most beautifueach in Mexico and was wondering if you could provide some guidance for a quick vacation the first week in August. We have eight days and would like to relax on a wonderful beach most days, enjoy the nightlife most nights and mix a little sightseeing/shopping in for 1 or 2 days at most. We would be coming from California and would prefer not to spend too much time flying
(less than 8 hours each way). Price is not a big concern. Is Cancun the place? What about Cozumel? Any other suggestions?

Old Jul 11th, 1997, 06:47 PM
Bob Strain

My choice for a beach and not too far from Calif. is Puerto Vallarta. Next choice would be Mazatlan. Cancun is a bit too "touristy" with T-shirts shops all over the place, and the expansion has gotten out of hand. Another nice place REAL close is Estero Beach outside of Ensenada. You can drive there from San Diego.
e-mail me and I'll tell you about a GREAT place in the Copper Canyon, if you're adventureous.

Old Jul 31st, 1997, 06:11 PM
Marjorie McEachron

Would like to hear more about the spot you recommend in the Copper Canyon (for the adventurous). Also would be interested to know how difficult it is to make reservations independently (no tours).

Old Aug 1st, 1997, 06:29 AM
Valerie Goldberg

Gabriela, do you have any opinions of Manzanillo?

Old Aug 3rd, 1997, 04:34 PM
Jacqui

In response to your request about cancun I can tell you about Calinda Beach & Spa. It is an all-inclusive resort. It's a 5 star sophisticated yet casual. The beaches are great and alot to do in that area. Like waterbikes, windsurfing, kayaks. The prices start from $99 per person per night up to aprox 175 depending on the dates. I have information about them if you like let me know I'll photcopy the information and mail it to you. But this is one place you will enjoy with fun and also relax.

Old Aug 7th, 1997, 01:48 PM
ray behnke

I would recommend PV over Alcupulco. Great property is the Westin. Take public transportation
when you go into town. Cheap and you get a
message and and a sauna for the price. Take a cab back to the hotel as the bus pick-ups down-
town get a little trickey.(cab ride about $5.00)
Beware of timeshare sales!!! Don"t make eye contact with all the timeshare hustlers. Otherwise
iPV is a great spot to enjoy Mexico!

Old Aug 10th, 1997, 04:35 PM
pdavidson

Was in PV Feb. 1997. Ocean water to cold to fish or swim. Stayed at Sheraton Bouganvilla. Service and accomodations outstanding. Great pool bar. Fun lobby bar with entertainment every evening. Close to town center. Cab ride only 20 pesos. My wife and I would go back in a heartbeat. Anybody know anything about Playa Del Carmen?

Old Aug 11th, 1997, 07:56 AM
Doug

If you want info about Playa Del Carmen check out
the following site http://206.181.239.195/forums/
there is a lot of great info there.

Old Aug 21st, 1997, 07:40 AM
Paula Hutchinson

I'm planning to rent a house in the Yucatan, possibly somewhwere around Campeche, next January and February. Has anyone been to the region and, if so, what other places of interest (beaches, ruins, towns) should we see?

Old Aug 22nd, 1997, 06:34 AM
Ernie Gorrie

Apparently a lot of people are thinking that Playa Troncones, about 30 km north of Ixtapa and Zihuatanejo is a pretty good place to visit.

I've been trying to help a friend get a room there in early December. There are only about 50 rooms in B&Bs on the beach. Every room is already booked for every night in December. One of the B&B operators is building a few extra rooms in time for the season.

Old Sep 14th, 1997, 10:09 AM
Laurie Grant

Spa Resorts in Mexico - looking for an inexpensive spa to go to in Mexico, already have information on Rio Caliente near Guadalajara, which looks good. Anything at Cabo San Lucas?

Old Sep 14th, 1997, 11:59 PM
Tom Barton

One of the most spectacular areas to visit is an area called the Copper Canyon an area 3 times larger than the Grand Canyon. It's really a train trip, with the Chihuahua al Pacifico Railroad, that took Mexico over 100 years to build, something that they were told would be impossible.

I started in Los Mochas and traveled to Chihuahua stopping in three towns along the way and getting back on the train 24 hours later on the next day. I used a hotel in Los Mochas that was able to make reservations for me along the way. I think that the packages tours are TOO expensive. I want to repeat this trip again. I flew out of Tijuana on Areo Mexico to lower my costs.

Old Sep 16th, 1997, 04:21 PM
J. Lukosky

1. Oaxaca
2. San Cristobal de las Casas
3. Guanajuato
4. Queretaro
5. Guadalajara & Tlaquepaque
6.Tepic

Skip San Miguel de Allende. Its a bummer, what with Americans sitting at card tables on the zocalo hustling the tourists to join their "social clubs" and enhance their money chests-who needs that on a vacation? Take $50 dollar bills and Fodors Guide and you won't have to stand in line at banks to get pesos! Buen Viaje!

Old Sep 20th, 1997, 09:07 PM
Theresa

Travelling to Ixtapa late September. Need to know good inexpensive restaurants; good beaches; hikes; towns or villages within bus range; hotels for several nights either in Zihuatanejo or close town. Any other ideas?

Old Sep 22nd, 1997, 06:26 AM
Marcee

Hello, my husband and I are planning a visit to Sayulita and the San Francisco areas north of Puerto Vallarta in January...any information on where to stay, how to get around, etc. We sure would appreciate any information you could give us. We have been to Puerto Escondido many times and would like to explore a different part of Mexico. Thanks for any help that is out there...cheers, Marcee

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -