COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Best place to stay; Montezuma area, Tarcoles area

Old Feb 15th, 2005, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

Best place to stay; Montezuma area, Tarcoles area

What are the best hotels, (defined as tuned to the culture and climate, maybe a bit rustic looking but very clean ... ocean or jungle views) in these two areas?
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 03:06 PM

I have enjoyed Villa Lapas, which is close to Carara National Park and a short drive from the Tarcoles River.

Not fancy but good food and comfortable rooms. Located in a nice tract of secondary forest with some primary forest on adjoining hillsides and a stream flowing through the property.

A good spot to see Scarlet Macaws , many other birds, and lots of Black Iguanas.

They apparently have added a canopy tour since my last visit there.

The place is not particularly rustic looking but is a good base for exploring the area.

The region is transitional between the dry northwest and humid southwestern region of Costa Rica, so there is a good diversity of plants and animals.

Jerry
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 05:57 PM

I loved Amor de Mar in Montezuma. It's a short (15 min.) walk south of town. The hotel sits on a grassy headland facing the ocean. They have hammocks strung between palm trees - great for relaxation. We had Room No. 5 upstairs. The rooms have screened windows through which we could hear the ocean out front and the river next door. Rooms are basic, but very clean and comfortable. Outside our room was a balcony with rocking chairs. One of my favorite memories of Costa Rica is sitting on this balcony watching an amazing lightening storm over the ocean. They also have a huge tidepool that you can swim in when the tide is right. The website is www.amordemar.com.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 10:04 PM

Thanks, Terri, I was trying to think of the name of this hotel recently. A few people (you being one of them, probably) posted about it several months ago, but I had forgotten the name.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 10:32 PM

A great choice is the El Sano Banano bugalows on the beach.
Saludos
costaklaus - www.costaricaweb.de