Notices

Best Place To Stay In Belize?

Nov 16th, 2003, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

Best Place To Stay In Belize?

Hubby & I taking Caribbean trip in Feb. '04 for 22nd anniversary. Looking at Cayman, USVI, maybe Belize. Need suggestions for best place in Belize to stay right on the beach with great views, service, food, minimal children present etc? (Nothing against kids, just want a break from them on this trip!). Don't want to break the bank but price not a major concern (22 years - I've earned it!) Thanks for help!!!
Nov 16th, 2003, 05:47 PM

Not sure how you picked Cayman Islands, USVI and Belize as your options -- three very different places.

Of course asking about "best place to stay" in Belize is like asking "where's the best place to stay in Florida?" -- Huge area with all kinds of quite different options.

But you might look at:

Cayo Espanto (but it will definitely break the bank)

Turtle Inn, Placencia

Mata Chica, North Ambergris Caye

Portofino, North Ambergris Caye

Hamanasi, Hopkins

Kanantik, Hopkins area

Inn at Robert's Grove, Placencia

--Lan Sluder
www.belizefirst.com

Nov 16th, 2003, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

Hey Lan - was just reading posts on your website (very helpful, btw). Thanks for your input - I'm sooooo confused. Choosing a destination basically boiled down to somewhere sunny, beachy, romantic, and quick and reasonable flights. We went to Cayman on our honeymoon so thought that would be nice but connections at the time we want to go are impossible (change planes 3 times and total time 11 hrs. - ugh) so started looking at other warm caribbean-type destinations, of course had always heard about USVI, then came across Belize and it sounded / looked great.

I know my request was pretty broad but thought it would be as good a place as any to start. After reading info on your site and also other stuff, Mata Chica & Victoria House sound really good. Love the idea of the spa & massages at Mata Chica but Victoria House sounds really special too. Guess I'm looking for that 'perfect place'... Does it exist?

Would love to be right on the water, white sand beach right outside the door, glorious high-ceiling tropical room with huge doors opening to the view of the water plus a wonderful pool close by with silent waiters bringing tropical drink after tropical drink. Oh, and a gourmet restaurant close by with butter-smooth wine and heavenly seafood. Too much to ask?

Cayo Espanto sounds fabulous but would like to stay in the $300-500 per night range (must budget for those eco-massages and mud-facials, you know!)

Also not familiar with the different areas of Belize, need to find out which area is best for what. Will check into the other recommendations you listed - thanks for your help - feel free to keep the suggestions coming!!
Nov 23rd, 2003, 06:02 PM

We stayed at Mata Chica in 2000 for 3 nights. The beach & casita were lovely. The restaurant good. We were kind of uncomfortable staying there...maybe it just wasn't our scene...everything seemed carefully orchestrated to give you an experience--every detail accounted for & nothing missed. It was very nice & secluded. I'm glad we didn't stay more than 3 nights--if you want to eat elsewhere for a change, you have to take a water taxi. You might consider splitting your time between Victoria House & Mata Chica--that way you can spend time further south & enjoy that part of the caye!

Have fun! We LOVED Belize!

Search this Thread