Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Best Place to See Volcanoes + Wildlife in Guacanaste?

Old Mar 17th, 2018, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

We're heading to Playa Hermosa in Guacanaste in a couple of weeks. While we'll be mostly staying on the beach and doing low-key activities (going with a toddler), I'd like to take one day to go see some of the incredible scenery and biodiversity Costa Rica is known for. I'm hoping to join a small group tour, since my travel partner will be staying at the hotel to watch the kid, so it's just going to be me. I am wondering where might be the best place to go within 1-2 hours of Playa Hermosa. I was looking at Rincon de la Vieja (all the tour companies seem to have a zipline/horseback riding/mud bath tour there), but not sure if it's going to be super-touristy and a bit hokey. I want to go somewhere where I can be surrounded by the wonders of nature, not 100 other people Any thoughts/advice?
Old Mar 19th, 2018, 09:21 AM
RAC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best wildlife spots in the area--besides the aforementioned Rincon--would be Santa Rosa and Palo Verde. You can do Palo Verde by land, but it's not terribly convenient. Path of least resistance is probably to take a boat ride on the Rio Tempisque (often described as a "Palo Verde" boat tour) where you'll have guaranteed wildlife sightings--birds for sure, very possible to see monkeys and crocodiles as well. Maybe, if you're lucky, Scarlet Macaws.