Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Best Place/Area In Mexico (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/best-place-area-in-mexico-321391/)

sapajp May 28th, 2003 09:39 AM

Best Place/Area In Mexico

Need Help... Planning our vacation for next year. Looking for someplace not too touristy, good food, beautiful accommodations, not too busy... I've looked at Las Vantanas, La Casa Que Canta, Casa de Sierra Nevada, Paraiso de la Bonita and now I'm totally confused. I've never been to Mexico and never realized there are so many beautiful places there. Please share your feedback!!!

Jean_Valjean May 28th, 2003 12:35 PM

Does it have to be on a beach? All your choices are really good!

PeggyE May 28th, 2003 01:30 PM

Add Tamarindo, north of Manzanillo & Villa del Sol in Zih to your list. Comparing any accommodation in Cabo (Las Ventanas) to just about any other place, I'd rather see the town of Zih or Manzanillo or PV & all the surrounding areas rather than spend the time in the resort compound in Cabo. Even though some are beautiful (we just stayed at Casa del Mar next to Las Ventanas), the water is too rough to swim & the town to Americanized to be interesting.

betogarcia May 29th, 2003 08:04 AM

Hi,

I am Mexican, so it is very nice to hear from foreigners that they find many places to visit in Mexico. I think it all sums up to what kind of holiday you are after. I could add up other places to your list, probably just increasing your confusion. Do you want a beach, colonial town, secluded place, nightlife, etc?
Hope I can help further on.

sapajp May 29th, 2003 09:13 AM

Thanks for the feedback! Definitely looking to stay near/on a beach. As for nightlife, my husband and I enjoy trying different restaurants, so a place w/ great restaurants would be perfect! We are not into the club/bar scene. Basically we are looking for some R&R and we usually do spend one day sight-seeing/shopping. So far we are most interested in La Casa Que Canta. Again, any feedback is greatly appreciated!!!

beachgirl May 29th, 2003 01:05 PM

Sapajp,
If you haven't looked into it already, try looking at differentworld.com - they have picture tours of most of the hotels you've spoken of, including La Casa Que Canta, and they include information about the different areas of Mexico on their website. I have used them to book hotels previously, but they have also come in very handy for free information about the areas of Mexico. I once emailed them about what I was looking for and they wrote back with suggestions that turned out to be exactly what I wanted. Their staff is very prompt with email messages.

fer May 30th, 2003 08:44 AM

My suggestion is Villas del Sol in Zihuatanejo. I think it is a better choice than La Casa que Canta because it is rigth on the beach, in la casa you have to do MANY steps down on your way to the beach. It is more like a gorgeous-pool hotel.

Villas del Sol is located in a secluded part of the Zihuatanejo area, away from tourists and night life. The food is perfect and if you feel so, grab a cab and go visit other restaurants such as el Kaukan, Villas de la Selva or many others.

meiga_28 May 30th, 2003 03:55 PM

Hello!!!
I am also from Mexico and if you want a very relax place to stay you can go to PLaya del Carmen, Zihuatanejo, Puerto Escondido, Huatulco. You will find a lot of great hotels there.
It's soon so you have time to look up and decide.
good luck!!

Little_Man May 31st, 2003 08:20 PM

Hi,
We went to Cancun last August and enjoyed it, but are wondering if Puerto Vallarta might also be doable in August, or will it just be too hot??? Cancun was hot, but the beach breezes were pleasant, and of course, the a/c in the hotel was welcome!
Any advice on Mexico in August?
Thanks!

theprofessor Jun 1st, 2003 07:52 AM

I like the Costa Alegre area north of Manzanillo for a Real Mexican experience! Spent a few vacations in La Manzanilla, Mexico on the Bay of Tenacatita!

KatW Jun 6th, 2003 02:06 PM

My fave locales in Mexico:

La Casa Que Canta in Zihuatanejo
Las Alamandas on the Pacific coast between Puerto Vallarta & Manzanillo

astark Jun 6th, 2003 05:49 PM

Dear sapajp, I just registered so I could respond to your question. Le Casa Que Canta is my dream ideal for a vacation. I do not know if I will ever get there, but it's where I'm sending my sons on their honeymoons! We've been to Zihuatenejo 3 times and love it. The hill that Le Casa Que Canta is on has the most gorgeous views(especially at night) and is so romantic. There are good restaurants there and ones you can walk to also. Zihuatenejo has so much charm. It is not touristy or flashy. We have stayed on that beach 2 times and have also admired Villa del Sol, but La Casa Que Canta looks better, I think because it appears that all the rooms at Villa del Sol are not beach front.

sapajp Jun 10th, 2003 08:42 AM

Thanks for all your feedback. I think we've decided to go to La Casa Que Canta. Now it's just a matter of deciding when!! Can't Wait!!!

kwil Jun 10th, 2003 01:16 PM

I have not been to Paraiso de la Bonita but have stayed at the other three hotels and La Casa Que Canta is my absolute favorite hotel in Mexico so far. It is true that it is not "on" the beach but, in my opinion, you can't beat going to sleep to the sound of the waves crashing into the cliffs. Also, the arrangement of pools and lounge chairs offers quite a bit of privacy. If you can swing it, the pool suites are amazing and #21 Rosita Alvarez is my favorite. The regular rooms are also very nice. Some of the best I have seen(you can request if you like) are #5 El Colibri, #11 Peregrina, #8 Paloma Blanca, & #9 Adelita (smaller than most but amazing view). Have fun, I'm jealous. P.S.- Make sure you eat at Kau Kan.

aqua Jun 11th, 2003 12:12 PM

One of the nicest places I've been to is the Maroma hotel near Cancun, between puerto morelos and playa del carmen it is a beautifull small hotel right on the beach and they are dedicated to pampering you.

Scott_P_in_Texas Jun 13th, 2003 05:22 AM

Hello. I lived in Mexico for 4 years, married a beautiful Mexican woman and continue to do business there. With our kids we've been several places.
Your vacation will be great but you need to plan well for certain areas.
How many people are there? Is this a romantic trip or a family trip? What time of year are you going? Is swimming in the ocean and snorkelling or scuba important? Are you fishermen or water sports people? Each coast is very different and the amount of drunk American kids in each are as well. Let me know and I will help you out for sure.

sapajp Jun 16th, 2003 10:13 AM

To Scott P in Texas... It will be just my husband and I, so I'm hoping it will be a very romantic trip. We're looking to go somewhere beautiful, where we soak in the sun and do plenty of R&R! We are two very busy people and our idea of a vacation is doing basically nothing! We enjoy/would like... great restaurants, no crowds, if there is snorkeling near by, we might spend a day doing so, beautiful/peaceful surroundings. We are planning to go next year... anywhere between June - November. What time of year is best? Thanks for any feedback/comments/suggestions you may offer! Also, I recently mentioned to a friend that I'm thinking about going to Mexico and she went on and on about the cha chas! Should I be worried??

TonyT Jun 17th, 2003 03:34 AM

I'm looking for help with Mexico also. I was planning on going to Oaxaca but have heard a lot of bad things about it now. La Casa Que Canta is too expensive for me, so I'm thinking that Hiz or Acapulco might be where I'll go. If anyone knows where I could go in either one for a quiet, not too touristy, nice time, let me know. THanks.

Scott_P_in_Texas Jun 17th, 2003 03:55 AM

Howdy folks! I am off to Scotland with the family for a week and a half so I will write more when I return ok? As far as the girls go (cha chas...?) don't worry, everyone keeps to themselves if you are with a man. The scene is crazy for singles but there is no unsolicited seducing going on!
Talk to you guys soon,
Ciao
Scott

sapajp Jun 17th, 2003 05:01 AM

Sorry, when I wrote 'Cha Chas'... I meant the bathroom cha chas!