Search

Best Mexico destination for 3 couples in their 50's

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2004, 12:54 PM
kc1
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Mexico destination for 3 couples in their 50's

I have been asked to plan a trip to Mexico (or other warm destination) for 1 week in February for 3 couples. We are all in our early-mid 50's, 2 couples have travelled alot, but one couple has not travelled at all. We consist of a brother and 2 sisters and their spouses. We all like to have a really good time, and love good food and drink. But we are more interested in the "real" Mexico, rather than a place like Cancun. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old Aug 7th, 2004, 02:21 PM

I would be very interested inyour definition of the "real" Mexico.!!!

No matter what place you go to in Mexico ,you can sample the "real" Mexico.

Percy

Old Aug 8th, 2004, 03:25 AM

I agree, what exactly is the "real Mexico?" I suppose it depends largely on your interests. I think PV would be very different than Cancun. If you like the turquoise water you will not find it there as along Playa Del Carmen outisde of Cancun. I do think PV would be a great choice if swimming is not a large concern. The Pacific coast waters are quite chilly that time of year. PV has an authentic Mexican charm.
Old Aug 8th, 2004, 04:43 AM

One of the reasons I think people are suggesting PV is because it is an old city, cobble stoned streets, etc. I like it as a choice as well. If the water isnt an issue at all you might think about Curenavaca, about 60 miles south of mexico city. City of about 1 million in a valley of the mountains. Very clean and easy to get around. WIde variety of foods and types of places to eat at, see. Excellent new modern museum of art with Frida Kahlo and Diego works. MUST go to the Robert Brady museum Then you can do a day trip into Mexico city or even stay over night on your way into mexico or upon departure. Also day trip to tasco, the silver town is not to be missed. Excellent bus system, air conditioned, "flight attendant" movie, bathroom and refreshmetns.
Old Aug 8th, 2004, 05:26 AM

While I'm not a huge fan of Acapulco, there are some wonderful large villas for lease on the hills above the Las Brisas Hot.
These overlook the bay and the "city" X the bay.
They are typically very well furnished and incl maid, cook, gardener and sometimes car and driver.
Many Northeasterners and Canadians visit SMdA, Guanajuato and the Central Mountains Dec - Mar, but it may be a bit chilly in the evenings and early morning. I prefer SMdA June - Oct to avoid the Dallas summer. Check www.casaselegantes.com www.portalsanmiguel.com and www.internetsanmiguel.com
Cuernavaca and Oaxaca have been mentioned favorably in many recent threads as well.
M
Old Aug 8th, 2004, 07:31 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Puerto Vallarta would be my strong suggestion (I've spent alot of time there). It's a nice mix of authentic old, yet welcoming with infrastructure for tourists. It was not created for tourism (as Cancun was) but it grew naturally over the years. El Centro and the Old Town area is charming with lots to see and do. There are hotels of all types from budget local ones, mid-range, up to fancy resorts. To see "real Mexico" most anywhere in town simply walk inland 6 blocks and you will be in residential neighborhoods without a tourist in sight. On the other hand there are tourist activities like the 'pirate' sunset dinner cruise, fishing or snorkeling outtings, fiesta, jungle tours, horseback riding, golf, that could be arranged.

PV is large enough to have plenty to do but small enough and with very friendly local people it's easy to get around. I suggest your group be open to doing some things together, but other days split up into smaller groups based on individual interests.
Old Aug 8th, 2004, 10:16 AM

The "natives" from SMdA like the small towns and vills 30-50 KM N and fewer KM South of PV for their Travel vacations in "Feb".
M
Old Aug 8th, 2004, 01:40 PM
annieladd

If you want the real Mexico, I'd vote for Cuernavaca. Stay at Las Mananitas, it's beautiful and the food is wonderful. As someone else said, you can take the bus to Taxco, and other towns. Not to mention, Mexico City. You'll have a wonderful time.

Old Aug 8th, 2004, 01:48 PM

Kc, as you can see, there are a few different opinions being offered. I guess it would help if we knew if you wanted a beach destination or somewhere in the interior. My husband and I are in your age bracket. I personally love the interior, but we often try to split our vacation between the beach and a town or city in the interior.
Old Aug 8th, 2004, 04:47 PM
kc1
Original Poster

Hello to everyone who offered their suggestions re Mexico...thank you very much for your thoughts and suggestions.
In answering a couple of your questions...by "real" I meant we wanted a destination that hadn't been created just for tourists...we'd love to be able to meet and mix with the locals, while enjoying the area that they have resided in for years.
Regarding the water question, one of the couples feels strongly about being on or very near the water, so we will try to accomplish that.
With these two items clarified, any further suggestions and/or comments would be appreciated.
Thanks....K.C.
Old Aug 8th, 2004, 05:03 PM

That said, I would seriously
think about the high end stuff in ACA!
Not in the city, but X the bay above Las Brisas!
M
Old Aug 8th, 2004, 05:14 PM

Almost anyplace in Mexico now fits your bill after you have clarified your "real" Mexico.

You see you can stay in a nice modern resort in Cancun and take the bus to downtown Cancun and mix with the people and dine at their sidewalks cafes.

Or you can go to PV and walk the nice "El Centro area of town and see all the Mexican people doing their thing.
This is a lovely area.

Or you can go to Acapulco.

Here you can be in the hustle and bustle of down town Acapulco ,but what you should do is this:
Get a private tour guide and tell him,
"Take me all over Acapulco where tourist usually do not go."

Believe me ,you WILL see the "real" Mexico here.

Or you can go to Manzanillo,stay at a nice resort and take side tours to the country and meet the Mexican people..like in Colima and also the near by town of Barra de Navidad.

Or you can have the best of both worlds:
Go to Ixtapa and Zihuatanejo:

The resort places are in Ixtapa along the beach ,with some quaint shopping places just across the street from the resort.......BUT better still,from here you hop the bus which comes every 10 minutes and for 50 cent US,you take a 2-25 minute bus ride to the town of Zihuatanejo..

It is in Zihuatanejo where the Mexicans that work in Ixtapa live.

In Zihuatanejo you will for sure get a real flavour of the "real" Mexico .

Or your whole stay can be in Zihuatanejo rather than Ixtapa..both are good choices.

From Zihuatanejo,if you want it is a short bus/taxi ride to the village of Troncones, or to the town of Petetlan etc.
Anyone of these places would fill your needs.

Have a nice time in Mexico

Percy

Old Aug 8th, 2004, 05:52 PM

I agree with Percy, Xtapa/Zihuatanejo would be a great choice. Also, Puerto Vallarta and Islas Mujeres would be nice too.
Old Aug 8th, 2004, 06:01 PM

Some of the beach recs are low end and tacky, imho.
M
Old Aug 8th, 2004, 07:56 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
If you are going to slam other posters suggestions, it would be much more helpful to kc1 if you said something specific.
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 05:55 AM

Ok I am going to get into this debate. Have been going to Mexico for so many years have been to P. Vallasrta, Ixtapa, Cancun all more than once. I prefer P. Vallarta for the reason it has so much more to offer than the other places. Don't get me wrong I loved them all but keep going back to P. Vallarta more than the other places.
Here is an idea which I along w/3 other couples am going to do in March. By the way we are in the same age group as you all are. We are going to Casa Obelsico which is about an hour from P. Vallarta for 3 nights then we are going to P. Vallarta for a week. I have heard so much about Casa Obelisco I thought I would try it. It has a web site so youc an check it out. It is much more quiet than P. V. after 4 days I will be ready for P. V. also my friends have never been this will be their first time and I want to experience it w/them. If I can help please email me at [email protected]. Good Luck
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 03:33 PM

I live in MExico and have been lucky enough to visit several area, each has it's own charm. My favorite is colonial Mexico, Guadalajara, Guanajuato, Morelia. However, for a beach destination, I have to say that both my husband and I thought that Playa Del Carmen was wonderful. The "tourist" area of the town was wonderful, a great place to walk around during the evening. The beaches are great, and for $9 you can take the 25 minute ferry to Cozumel to see that area. Also, visiting the ruins in Tulum is a great day trip, and snorkeling in the Cenotes is wonderful. We just got back from our first trip to that aream and am looking forward to the next opportunity. Oh, even though PDL is just a short drive form Cancun, they are totally different areas. If you have specific questions, email me at [email protected]
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 04:30 PM

So kc1,
Where are you going?
M
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 06:44 PM

CaboSanLucas

Yes Playa del Carmen is a lovely place to just walk around,I am sure the Mexican flavour here will satisfy this group.

Also Mazatlan, we keep forgetting about this once popular Mexican place.

If this group is energetic they can walk the "Gold Zone", where all the markets are then bus/taxi or walk along the Malecon where those dolphin statues are and just enjoy the downtown area.

If you have eyes like a hawk then from Mazatlan Ocean walkway ,as you look across the ocean you can just make out the tip of Cabo San Lucas..

just kidding , don't strain your eyes.!!!

Sorry but the place of your namesake,Cabo San Lucas ,is a bit touristy without too much Mexican flavour near by..but still a nice place to visit.

Heck, where is Mexico is it bad to visit and meet the people. !!!!

Percy
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 06:51 PM

Percy, Buenas tardes, mi amigo,
Most gringos will never understand!
Nor may I, but I keep trying.
M

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -