Best Fishing Trip Advice in Cabo, Baja Pennisula

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20th, 2006, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please advice on location, accomodations,fishing outfitters, BEST SIGHTSEEING TRIPS not to miss. Celebrating husbands 50th birthday and our 30th wedding anniversary, trip without the sons. Husband is avid deep sea fisherman - I am avid fly fisherlady, and love, love to snorkel - I get extremely sea sick on deep sea trip.
Husbands choices are first and foremost on this trip, as he has made many sacrifices on many family vacations to allow myself and sons to do what we love to do- snorkel and dive, and this trip is for him to fish, fish, sightsee things that are special on the Baja pennisula.
We like Best to luxury accomodations, like condos also, I love to cook-but doesnt have to have kitchen, we usually eat in during day and go out each night for dinner/drinks/dancing. Any advice from previous experiences would be greatly appreciated.
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 07:38 AM

Denette, there was a similar post not long ago, "Marlin in Cabo" and I just put it TTT so you can see the replies about good fishing fleets.

I gave the names of three fleets for marlin in that post ... you mention you like to fly-fish, there's a well-run outfit for this in Cabo as well, I'll look it up for you ... there is plenty of good inshore flyfishing at certain times of the year if you get sea-sick off-shore.

Some other Q's you had that didn't come up in the other thread ...

<b>We like Best to luxury accomodations, like condos</b>

The most convenient hotels to the fishing are near the marina, maybe Sol-Mar or Finisterra on one side, Hacienda or the Playa Medano luxury hotels on the other side of the marina, depending on which fleet you fish with.

Many of the finest luxury hotels are in the corridor between Cabo and San Jose but you probably will need a rental car to easily get around if staying there.

<b>go out each night for dinner/drinks/dancing.</b>

Lots of rowdy nightlife downtown, like Squid Roe, Giggling Marlin and Cabo Wabo ...

If I find the name of the fly fishing outfit I'll post it ...

What time of year are you going?

Bill

Old Oct 20th, 2006, 07:53 AM

<b>I am avid fly fisherlady</b>

Found the site for a good fly-fishing outfit in Cabo, http://www.baja-anglers.com/index.php

They are dockside at the marina in the same building as the Pisces fleet mentioned in the other post. Though I once caught six sailfish on the fly in one day in Guatemala I've never fly-fished in Cabo so haven't used these guys, but have been in their office a couple of times and they seem like a well-run outfit.

Good luck!

Bill
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Bill, we will be traveling in April, exact date?? depending on husbands work schedule and school/soccer schedule for one of our sons.
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 09:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Dear Dennette:

Here is the link to our trip report from Feb. 06.

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34769739

If you want to be closer to down town CSL, the Pueblo Bonito Rose or Blanco are very nice and handy to all the excitement!!

MY
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 11:46 AM

<b>Bill, we will be traveling in April</b>

Ah, perfect weather in April! I was asking because the fishing changes a bit depending on the season ... April is still striped marlin season, your husband should be able to find marlin each day feeding or finning on the surface, 120-150 lbs is typical ... you can actually cast live bait to them and watch them light up as they chase it down (if they are hungry). Pretty exciting fishing ...

For inshore (for you with the fly rod) it might be good for roosterfish or sierra mackerel ... the roosters are a great game fish but hard to get on the fly.

Michelle's thread is very good at giving you the flavor of the place and the PB hotels she mentions that are on Playa Medano are fairly close to the marina.

One negatory about April is that a lot of college kids go to Cabo for spring break, so there will be a lot of rowdy drunks (more than usual). I would consider an expensive hotel in the corridor if you want to avoid some of the craziness. The hotels I recommended like Sol-Mar and Finisterra are crawling with loud college kids in April, unfortunately.

Bill
Old Oct 21st, 2006, 08:21 AM

Try the Bahia. They have kitchenettes, also book their own fishing fleet. Just up from the Office and across the street from Edith's (best view restaurant).
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 08:59 AM

ttt for similar Q