Search

Best Cozumel All Inclusives

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2006, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Cozumel All Inclusives

Thanks ahead of time for everyone's advice! I have been reading all sorts of things on this chat board and have learned a ton. Because of the best flight schedule, 8 of us are heading from Austin, Texas to Cozumel in mid Sept for 4n/5d and would like advice on the best places to stay... probably All Inclusives since it is a larger group. Thanks again, and I look forward to hearing what y'all think!
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Well, it's me again... I think our choices are down to the Iberostar Cozumel or the Cozumelito. Any suggestions?
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 02:17 PM
TC

The Iberostar is a party beach with a great pool and lots to do. Its a bit far from town, if you care about that. I think you mean the other choice is the Cozumeleno which is in the North Hotel zone. It is a big beautiful place as well but probably not as much to do as far as activities go. However, it is much closer to the town if you want to shop or dine there.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 02:22 PM
TC

Bug, Have you read the reviews at Trip Advisor on these two hotels? Lots of good first hand info.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g1...la-Hotels.html
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 04:33 PM

Iberostar because the beaches are prettier. Either way you will taxi to town. Iberostar will cost more for the taxi ride.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks TC and blondelady for your input! We booked our trip to Iberostar for mid October today. Trip advisor was an asset as it gave reviews from several types of travelers, and for the most part they were very good! As we will only be there five days I expect we'll spend most of the time near the resort. Are there other beaches on the island worth taking a taxi to? Also, any suggestions on day snorkeling tour groups? I can't think of what else I may need help on, so feel free to chip in with anything else!
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

One other thing... I believe we will want to rent a car for a day or two. Any preferred rental agencies with low rates in Cozumel?
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 09:05 AM
TC

Your hotel has a nice snorkeling cruise and would be the easiest for you to do. Keep in mind that most of the shallow snorkeling spots were damaged during the hurricane and aren't nearly as pretty as they once were. Still fish, but the coral is for the most part gone.

I like Smart Car Rental. They are located both at the airport and in town. They give me a good deal when I rent for a month. However, for just a day, you should probably just use whoever rents from your hotel. Much less hassle. Otherwise, you'll have to take a taxi to town to fetch the car and then another taxi when you return it. So even if the price is a bit high at the hotel, it all evens out in the end.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 09:08 AM
TC

One other thing....with 8 people you'll need two taxis or a van taxi. You'll also need two rental cars as they are strict about how many people are in one car. I think the max is five in a rental and four in a taxi.
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 08:38 PM
Original Poster

Hello Again- it's me, waterbug. We are leaving for our Cozumel trip this Saturday, October 7th and I have a few last minute questions for you cozumel pros... 1) Any great bars to watch the Texas v OU game? We are Austinites, and my husband would like to catch at least part of the game once we arrive. 2) Any cool local ruins or museums worth visiting?... hmm any last minute tips?

Also, for all those seeking reef advice- I am all snorkel geared up and plan to be thoroughly raisened each day from snorkeling around. I promise to report back in full on the 12th when we return.

Thanks to all inputters!
Old Oct 6th, 2006, 08:05 AM

San Gervasio is the ruins in the middle of the island. I always enjoy any ruins so I am prejudiced when I say it is a "must see." From here you will continue around the island and stop at Chen Rio for fabulous shrimp cocktails (share as they are huge.) Last year the road was closed to keep us from continuing on around to Iberostar. But rent your cars and go one direction turn around and go the other direction. There is much beauty in the drive and lots of places to swim. It sounds like the shore snorkeling is gone, but try it out anyway for yourselves. When in town just check out the bars there will be plenty of TV's and the game. I think Sr. Frog's has the TV's. If you still have time before you leave, look up CozumelmyCozumel on internet, as the people there live on the island and can give you specific info. Have a Great Time!!
Old Oct 6th, 2006, 08:37 AM
TC

There's a sports bar in town. Its on the corner of Ave 5 North and Calle 2 North. You can walk there from the main square. Ask anyone downtown where it is.

There's only one museum on the island. Its right on main street with a nice open air restaurant upstairs for breakfast. Beautiful view of the water.

Have fun. Looking forward to your return report as I'll be there again in Feb.
Old Oct 6th, 2006, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks you two. We will have a wonderful time no matter what, and I will report back my favorites soon!

Adios
Old Oct 6th, 2006, 04:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Iberostar might have the game on the TV in one of the bars. When wer stayed at the Iberostar Paraiso, they had US sports on TV.