Best country to deep sea fish in May?

Dec 18th, 2014, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Best country to deep sea fish in May?

Hello,

My husband and I are planning a trip in May 2015. We are looking into areas in the Caribbean or Central America due to interests in deep sea fishing. We have read that the sport fishing in Dominican Republic is awesome in May but I have no experience in the other features of the area. I have been told on Fodor's that Roatan and the Pacific side of Costa Rica are areas I should look into. I am interested to see if anyone has any ideas.

Trip: 6-8 nights flying out of Dallas, Texas, budget for 2 adults air/hotel $5,000.

Interests: fishing, nice/small/quiet/beach front resort, culture, good food. Resort does not have to be all inclusive. We usually rent a car on vacation and explore the islands we visit, I understand this may not be possible in all countries due to safety issues.

So far the two of us have been to Aruba (Bucuti Resort on Eagle Beach for Honeymoon) and Barbados (The House Resort.) I have also been to Playa del Carmen and Cozumel. We like to try to combine romance, sight seeing, good food (local & high end), deep sea fishing, as well as attain as much of the culture as possible.

Thank you all in advance for any suggestions and education.
Dec 18th, 2014, 11:49 AM

You don't have Mexico tagged, but Los Cabos has everything you request and is known for deep sea fishing. Plus safety is OK as far as renting a car if you want to. Town of Cabo San Lucas or San Jose del Cabo, and "the Corridor" along the coast in between the two.
Dec 18th, 2014, 08:08 PM
Original Poster

I appreciate your response. I have not ruled out Mexico at all so I appreciate the input.
Dec 19th, 2014, 06:03 AM

I know that the Quepos area of Costa Rica is famous for its fishing; they have big fishing tournaments there every year. The nearby tourist area is known as Manuel Antonio and has beautiful beaches, lots to do, good restaurants, and tons of wildlife like monkeys and sloths. It's not a quiet village area though, it's very popular. We love Tulemar Bungalows there - saw lots of wildlife on property, and they have their own beach. There are other smaller areas like Dominical if that interests you more.

We also love Belize - fantastic snorkeling, but I don't know about fishing there.
Dec 19th, 2014, 09:46 AM

This may give you an idea.

http://www.queposbillfishcup.com/