Best All Inclusive in Mexico?

Old May 7th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best All Inclusive in Mexico?

Planning a trip for 4 couples to Mexico. One of them recommends either the Mexican Rivera or Riviera Maya - I can't remember which. Where do you suggest is a great place for (preferably adults only) 4 adventurous adults to go? (By adventurous I mean shopping and scub off the resort).
~Chilepepper

Old May 7th, 2007, 01:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's best for one person is not best for another. It would help to know what is important to you.
The "best" (upscale) resort now seems to be the new Iberostar Paraiso Grand. Adults only, butler service, gourmet dining, etc.
I would also check the Royal Play del Carmen which is also adults only with great service and is right in Playa del Carmen.
Some of the other resorts which used to be considered the best have lost a lot of their beach ie: Royal Hideaway.
Old May 7th, 2007, 01:48 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
ok for starters... Mexican Riviera refers to the west coast of the country, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, Acapulco (or at least that's what the cruise ships call it).

Riviera Maya is over on the Caribbean side including Cancun, Playa del Carmen, etc.

I'm guessing since you mention "best all inclusive" you are probably wanting the Yucatan peninsula over on the Caribbean side, as they are more common there than on the west coast.
Old May 7th, 2007, 01:55 PM

The 2 "best" all inclusives in Mexico, with true 5 star ratings are either the Royal Hideaway in Playa Del Carmen on the Mayan Riviera, and Gran Velas Vallarata on the Mexican Riviera.

They're both ridiculously expensive, imo, and I'm not averse to paying good money for a good hotel, but to me you're paying so much extra for not extra quality when you go all inclusive.
If you're adventurous, then why all inclusive? First, I'd decide what part of Mexico I wanted to go to...
Old May 10th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your help. If it were just myself and my husband, we'd find a hotel with its own dive shop and really concentrate on Scuba. The remaining 3 couples, however, want to bask in the sun and have unlimiited cocktails! :0) We are hoping to find a place for about $1400 each. I still have no clue which area is better, but I do love that Caribbean water, so I guess I'm leaning toward the Riviera Maya. I want to visit the Eco Park, underwater rivers, etc. Maybe go Cave Tubing (did that in Belize). Does this help narrow it down? I did check out the beautiful resorts recommended. Thank you.
Old May 10th, 2007, 12:28 PM

Secrets Capri at Playa Del Carmen is great.
Eldorado Royale is also great.
We like the area around Playa Del Carmen best. We will sometimes stay in Cancun for a couple of days at a non-AI and then head south. There are many to choose from but not as many that are adult only. Both of the above are adult only and of the two we liked Secrets best.

Have a good time!
Old May 11th, 2007, 11:40 AM

My friend and I are headed to Royal Playa del Carmen next week for our Mother's Day gift. I will post to let you know how it is.
Old May 11th, 2007, 11:43 AM

Ooops, I wasn't finished. We chose playa because of all the things to do so close. Shopping on 5th within walking distance. Close to ferry to experience other islands. busses are also close to catch to go to the ruins, etc.
Old May 11th, 2007, 12:09 PM

Hi chilipepper. Just got back from the iberostar tucan in the riviera maya. the area is great and right near Playa Dell carmen, which is a lot of fun for shopping ,eating and margaritas. If your friends want 5 star ACCOMODATIONS, the new Iberostar Just opened and is suposed to be wonderful. but a word of caution, All Imclusives ,I swear, have no alcohol in there drinks so I would also recommend not an all Inclusive..
I would try renting a villa which I have been researching as well, and you will find privacy as well as 5 star ammenaties for the price. The hotel/resorts that aren't all inclusives could get pricey if you want 5 star.. If you want one there The new fairmont looks really cool $$$$$$..
check out the bahamas or turks and caicos Yummy!
Old May 11th, 2007, 12:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All you need to do is request they put more alcohol in your drink if you feel it's too weak. They do it with no problem. I would also recommend checking out the new Iberostar Grand adults only.
Old May 12th, 2007, 06:13 PM

Azul also looks like an amazing AI. I may look into Azul for a trip with the hubby.
Old May 15th, 2007, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all your replies. I have almost decided on the Royal Playa del Carmen -- it looks great! I expected a higher price for adults only. I read a bunch of traveler reviews that rated the place 5 out of 5, and only 1 person had a negative thing to say. The negative person did mention that there were kids there on and off. Anyone hear about that? Beachbum2 I'm excited to hear what you have to say about the place!

Thanks everyone. Oh, and lvnlife . . . I originally proposed to my group of friends that we go to Turks and Caicos -- they turned me down! So my husband and I will have to go on our own later!
Old May 15th, 2007, 12:39 PM

It's an attractive place, a good location in Playa. I would never stay there because when I went by there last August, the pool was wall to wall with people, and it just seemed extremely crowded to me -- not my idea of a great way to vacation.
Old May 15th, 2007, 06:12 PM

2 days till I'm there, so I will let you know when I return. I can't wait to swim in the clear/blue ocean. I was also very surprised at the price for what it seems to be. The platinum category at El Cid looks great, if you can get a good deal on it. El Cid seems to be in a less populated area which has it's pros and cons crowds and more activity vs serenity. I think Playa seems to be a great location with lots to do. The scuba crew can even take the ferry over to Cozumel. I hear there is good shopping there too. Skyauctions has offers for the Royal Playa, making it an even better deal.
Old Oct 14th, 2008, 01:24 PM

What do you mean by adventurous? If you want close to nature, you may want to stay closer to Akumal area-you'll be close to Tulum ruins, XelHa, various cenotes for cave snorkel/diving and good snorkeling. Lots of sea turtles at akumal Beach. Also, are you interested in nature? The Iberostars or Grand Palladium have more jungly feeling with more birds, butterflies, wildlife if that appeals to you, vs. all manicured. Check out AGI tours also, for cool trips to Holbox island and swimming with harmless but HUGE whale sharks or going to area with nesting flamingos. There are some really cool excursions if you check around!!!! Coba Ruins are also like an Indiana Jones excursion in the jungle, which I loved, loved.