Best 5-Star Cancun?

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 09:26 PM
Shelle

Best 5-Star Cancun?

Planning a family vacation to Cancun next June. Any feedback as to which hotel has the best ammenities at the "club level"? We are considering the Ritz, Fiesta Americana Grand, Le Meridian and JW. Do they all have club levels? How much extra per night is it worth? $50, $100? Thanks,

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 06:56 AM
Laurie

We have reservations for FA Coral Beach. It has an excellent reputation on other message boards. I hear the Ritz has more of a snobby atmosphere - but certainly a top notch hotel that you would not be disappointed. I have little brochures on the JW Marriott and other Marriott and it looks awesome. Le Meridian is smaller but awesome I'm sure. I suppose you may want to decide what 1) size of resort you are looking for, 2) what location (FACB is in the best location to other restaurants within walking distance)and 3) what type of beach/water you want. Water is calm on the bay side at the Coral Beach. JW would be rough water lots of waves. Check out a map with hotels and decide what type of beach water you want. I know like for breakfast if $$ is a concern the Coral Beach has a place Iguana Wana within walking distance instead of the over $20 per person breakfast buffet offered at the hotel. www.entertainment-plus.net offers a 2 for 1 card for specific restaurants - well worth it if you are planning to eat out away from the resort some. Hope this helps in a small way.

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 03:23 PM
Craig

Shellie,

I would pretty much agree with Laurie on this one. I have done a lot (heavy on the lot) of research on this very subject. We are headed to Cancun this weekend and are staying at the Fiesta Americana Grand Coral Beach. The reasons we chose this hotel over the other premier hotels were many-fold. The first reason was because of the location...it has the advantage of facing the beach to the north, meaning that the surf is calm and perfect for swimming. Also, because of it's location, it has the best proximity to the entertainment and shopping (walking distance to most) centers. The hotels stretching down the long Caribbean side will tend to have waves that are not present at the Grand Coral Beach. They are also, a cab ride to most of the "hot-spots" in Cancun. I seriosly looked at the Ritz, but when I personally decided that the main reason we were going to Cancun was because of the water and beach, the Grand Coral Beach won out. Most rooms are junior suites at the Grand Coral Beach and I believe it has received the five star diamond award most every year. Obviously, you can't go wrong choosing any of the hotels you mentioned. Ultimately, it will be up to you to decide what the most important reason in deciding on a hotel is. I am sure the actual Ritz hotel is probably a little plusher and fancier (not to take away from the Grand Coral Beach), but I believe after you add up all the ammenities the Grand Coral Beach has to offer, it will win out!? Good luck on deciding!

Craig

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 05:46 PM
Cheri

Sorry Craig, but if the main reason that you're going to Cancun is for the beach you'll surely be sorely disappointed in the Fiesta American Grand Coral Beach. The beaches on that side are not nearly as nice as along the Caribbean side. We just returned from the Royal Sands which is right by the Ritz and the water was absolutely beautiful (calm some days and more wavy on others) on that longer Caribbean stretch of beach.

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 06:13 PM
Laurie

Coming from Cincinnati, Ohio, I doubt I'll be disappointed in the beach at FAGCB - but I'll let you know! Wow you're leaving this weekend Craig? Have a wonderful time and please put up a trip report on one of the many message boards!

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 07:53 AM
Sant

In terms of overall hotel amenities, i.e., pool(s), spa, etc., I'd give the nod to JW. But Le Meriden has some very very nice suites. They are huge, very posh, and directly face the water (I snuck into one to take a look while it was being cleaned). If you can afford it, I'd say go go for a suite at Le M. And although not quite as nice as JW's, the pools and spa at Le M are very nice as well.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 08:25 AM
blue

The best hotel I've ever been to in Mexico and Caribbean area is in Cancun. The Hostal de la Grande is not a five star hotel, I would say it's a six star hotel. Very, very luxurious, several high level cuisine restaurants, pools, all ocean view with balconies and jacuzis, beautiful grounds and lobby (marble and onix). Sauna, gym, beauty parlor, all sports included. That would be my choice. Great atmosphere.