Bellavista Cloud Forest Reserve

Oct 26th, 2004, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Bellavista Cloud Forest Reserve

I am thinking of doing the overnight trip to Bellavista. As I've read in the previous posts, it's definitely worthwhile.

My question is: how hard is it to get there by myself? Does anyone has any advice?

According to their website, a night in a private room with 3 meals would cost around USD 70/person. A package with 1 night + roundtrip transportation from Quito + a guide would cost USD 134.

I think USD 64 for transportation and a guide would be a lot of money! Is it possible to save some on taking public transportation or other kind of transfers?

Thanks!
Oct 27th, 2004, 09:01 AM
peg

I agree it is expensive, but it is way up in the mountains, I don't know if you could arrange a taxi from Quito to take you or not for less. It took about two hours to get there, and I am pretty sure once you turn off the pave road there is no public transportation, you might be able to hitch a ride, but traffic is very light and it is a very long hike.
Oct 27th, 2004, 10:04 AM

We took the lodge's transfer, but according to my Lonely Planet guidebook, there's public transportation to a town nearby. From there you would have to arrange some sort of private transport, probably negotiating with someone locally for a ride. If I recall correctly, the distance is about 16km and it's possible to hike in.

Bellavista is 2 hours from Quito and I doubt you'll find a taxi willing to take you for less (remember they would likely have to drive back to Quito empty).

I didn't think the transfer rate was unreasonable. There was no one else sharing our van that day, and our guide stopped at the equatorial monument and a volcanic crater along the way per our request, so we were able to make a tour of it.

Hope this helps.
Oct 27th, 2004, 03:32 PM

Let me just add to what Peg and Patty said:

This is a long way from Quito.
When you finally get to where you have to turn off the Highway ,it is about another 30 to 35 minutes of riding uphill ,moslty on a dirt road.

I think that for $64 extra ,which would included transportation and a guide is a good deal.

You can do some side tours on the way back.

Peg is correct it is a looong way to get there.

On your way back next day ,stop at the two places Patty mentioned.

Have a nice trip there.

Percy
Oct 27th, 2004, 03:57 PM

Just to clarify my earlier post, when I said "our guide stopped", I should have said "our driver stopped". Our driver didn't accompany us into the sites we visited along the way, he simply waited for us. In re-reading my post, I realized it may have sounded like a guided tour or something which was not the case.

The guide that the package refers to takes you on a guided hike through the Bellavista trails. The hike lasts a couple of hours and is tailored to your interest/ability. When we first arrived, there weren't that many guests, so our guide made an effort to take each couple/group out individually. They also provide you with trail maps so you can hike on your own.
Oct 28th, 2004, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot Patty, Peg and Percy. Those were very helpful comments!

I had no idea it was so hard to get there, so now the $ 64 sounds like a good deal and I'll definitely go for it.

I am boarding to Ecuador tomorrow and I am truly excited about this trip! Can't wait to get there.

Once again, thanks!
Oct 28th, 2004, 01:16 PM

Hope you have a great trip!
Mar 2nd, 2005, 03:37 PM

BELLAVISTA: I won't recommend staying overnight. I found it uncomfortable and relatively expensive. It's 2 hours drive from Quito. I saw a lot of hummingbirds on feeders but few other birds because the forest is so dense there. Most trails I found rugged. The afternoons are foggy and rainy.