Belize...Stann Creek District

Aug 9th, 2004, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Belize...Stann Creek District

Hello, I've finally settled on staying on Ambergris Caye a couple nights, but the bulk of my husband and my upcoming trip will be in Stann Creek. Has anyone stayed there? I'm trying to decide if I want to be near Dangriga or on the Placencia peninsula. Does anyone have any personal experiences they could share from that area? I would like to do 1 or 2 days of snorkeling, have the opportunity to bike, as well as kayak on our own and perhaps a day into the jungle. Any suggestions/thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!!
Aug 9th, 2004, 11:01 AM

I prefer Placencia over Dangriga. More to do, lovely beaches, small inns and lodges, great snorkeling, kayaking (sea, lagoon and river) and bikes.
Aug 9th, 2004, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Katie! And, I just found another forum that will be great help as well! Gotta love forums to discuss things
Aug 10th, 2004, 03:35 PM

About the only reason you'd want to stay in Dangriga is if you have a serious interest in Garifuna culture or if you are using it as a jumping off point for South Water, Tobacco or other cayes.

--Lan Sluder
Aug 11th, 2004, 08:00 AM

We just got back from the area. We stayed at Jaguar reef Lodge in Hopkins. We did a little snorkeling(reef and caye), kayaking, hiking, falls, ruins.They have a small private island about 30 mionutes by boat...it was so quiet and the water was pristine...we snorkeled right off teh beach. We took beach bikes to visit the town of Hopkins..they were the nicest people!We loved the town! They have a few jungle expeditions they do with Caves Branch. We actaually stayed at Cvaves Branch and did cave tubing and did and overnight adventure in a cave..with the 300 foot rapell into a sink hole..awesome expereince! Hopkins is much quieter and less tourist like. We liked that alot...food was great staff was exceptional..we stayed at the colonial suites on teh beach....it was so quiet was almost felt like we were the only ones there.