Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   BELIZE or COZUMEL - Snorkel??--HELP !! (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/belize-or-cozumel-snorkel-help-207156/)

Rick Gillar Nov 14th, 2001 06:18 PM

BELIZE or COZUMEL - Snorkel??--HELP !!

Going on Carnival cruise and stopping in <BR>BELIZE and COZUMEL. Anyone know what place is BETTER to snorkel? Any suggestions on what to do getting off ship in BOTH places??

Vita Nov 15th, 2001 06:04 AM

Rick, I did a Royal Caribbean cruise and did some snorkeling in Cozumel. The water was beautiful and clear, but it was deep so we really didn't see much. If you're a good swimmer and can dive, you might see more. Maybe we just picked a bad spot. I really liked Cozumel anyway though. I got some beautiful stone (marble?)crafts and blankets cheap as well as some liquor and vanilla. Went to Carlos and Charlies for drinks. The water there was clean so I was able to get frozen drinks. Sorry, I've never been to Belize. Have great time!

Lan Sluder Nov 15th, 2001 06:04 AM

Most of the cruise ships stopping in Belize stop in Belize City, which does not have a good place to snorkel. You can however go out about an hour by boat on a tour to Hol Chan marine reserve, on the Belize barrier reef, which has terrific snorkeling. Cozumel has some pretty good shore snorkeling.<BR><BR>--Lan Sluder<BR>Belize First Magazine

m.s. Nov 15th, 2001 06:29 AM

has anybody stayed at mata rocks resort or victoria house in belize? is mata rocks very bare bones and is victoria house too ritzy?

Katie Valk Nov 15th, 2001 08:10 AM

Apples and oranges, but I would not call VH ritzy, but would consider it classy. Love the thatched roof casitas on the beach with ac at VH. One of the best run inns in Belize, great staff and mgmt, good restaurant,etc. I've booked loads of people there who were all very happy.<BR><BR>As for snorkeling, Belize absolutely, by far, hands down. Best operator has a dive/snorkel shop two blocks from where the boats drop you, Hugh Parkey. They wil take you to the reef for great snorkeling.<BR><BR>Katie Valk<BR>Belize

Susan Nov 15th, 2001 03:06 PM

I've been to both places (Cozumel several times) and snorkeling is good in both places. With all due respect to Katie, it's a little easier in Cozumel. You don't have to take an excursion - you can find a beach and snorkel off the beach. That didn't seem to be the case in Belize (I stayed on Ambergris and also down in Placencia). The excursions we took in Ambergris were wonderful, but it was more of an organized thing. With Cozumel, we usually just take a cab somewhere and snorkel. There's the park (Chankanaab) where the water is deeper, but other areas, like Playa Corona, are shallow water.

Keila Nov 16th, 2001 02:33 AM

I agree with Susan. After several visits to both places Cozumel wins.