Belize or Costa Rica options for February with two kids

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2003, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm considering either Belize or Costa Rica for February vacation with my two very different kids - 14-year-old girl, who's amenable to just about anything, and 10-year-old boy who has to be dragged kicking and screaming just to go on vacation. If we're away for six days, I'm giving each of us (including single mom, me) two days to choose the day's activities. Son ends up grudgingly enjoying vacation, but his favorite thing is to hang out at pool with other kids (makes friends easily). Need place with pool and, ideally, other families (he makes friends easily). Ideas for not-deluxe-but-still-nice hotels in either country, near interesting sites, rainforests. Know little about either country, and overwhelmed by travel books -not even sure what part of either country to consider. Thanks for any help.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 05:49 PM

andib,

After thinking about your question for a few minutes, I think I would head for Manual Antonio in Costa Rica. I don't know where you're flying from, but a lot of flights from the US don't arrive in San Jose until in the evening. Too late to head any where else. So, you may be stuck in San Jose that night. It's about 4 hours to Manual Antonio. We drove it, it isn't a hard drive, but the road signs are non-existant and good maps seem few and far between. We stayed at Si Como No while in Manual Antonio two years ago. Very nice place. Has a reputation for lots of kids, but in all honesty, we didn't see many. They also have a small theater, so there may be entertainment in the evenings.

It's a short bus ride or a long walk to the national park. Beautiful beaches in the park. Great hiking, but the distances are fairly short, good for kids. There are lots of other things to see and do.

The only place we've been to in Belize is Ambergris Caye. We loved the place, but I'm not sure if kids would.

Another option would be Guanacaste in northwest Costa Rica, but I have no personal experience with the area. I wouldn't try and move around too much since your stay is short. The distances appear short, but the roads are far different than in the US. Takes much longer to get around than you would think.
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 04:53 PM

I would recommend Costa Rica over Belize. I think your kids will enjoy it there more than Belize. As far as where to go, either Manuel Antonio or Guanacaste is a perfectly good choice. You will have plenty of activities to choose from. Also, as Jean said, the driving can be a little tricky. You can opt to take a private or semi-private transfer from San Jose to either destination, and you wouldn't have to worry about the driving. Si Como No seems like an ideal place for you...

Feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions...Regards,

Enrique
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 01:34 PM

I vote for Costa Rica! We have a 10 yr old son who hates to travel too! He'd rather be home w/ all his stuff and friends! Daughter (15) is easy going. We went to CR 2 yrs ago. All had a great time. We're used to relaxing tropical vacations, and this was more work, but it doesn't have to be. We moved around a lot, which was a little too much for our son. This yr we're going for 10 days and planning only 2 locations. We're renting a car, but if I were you I'd get off the plane and get on a bus to Manuel Antonio. There is a lot to do there. Si como No is great for families. Their standard room might be affordable for you. Breakfast is included, (typical of all hotels). Manuel Antonio has many more options than the Northern Pacific area which is spread out and probably a bit remote for you (w/ only 6 days). I definitely think your family would be enchanted w/ all the wildlife, the people, the scenery, and the atmosphere in Costa Rica!
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 09:55 PM

Both countries are great destinations and both offer a lot for most kids. (I've been traveling to Costa Rica more more than 20 years and to Belize for more than a dozen.)

With only six days, I'd be tempted to say go to Ambergris Caye, Belize. You'll be there within an hour after flying into Belize City. The island (like most of Central America) is very kid friendly. My kids have been going there for years and love it.

But Manuel Antonio is a great suggestion for Costa Rica, too.

--Lan Sluder
Old Jul 19th, 2003, 09:57 PM

Another place to consider staying in Costa Rica at Manuel Antonio is the Tulemar Bungalows. They have their own beach as well as a nice pool and restaurant, and best of all all of the rooms are octagonal bungalows with windows for walls on 3/4 of the sides. We saw a lot of wildlife right there (squirrel monkeys, tucans and cotati). They also each have a kitchen, living room and bedroom.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 09:17 AM

If you go to Manuel Antonio, Costa Rico, I would recommend a car. The nicer hotels like the Tulemar Bungalows and Si Como No are up in the hills away from the town and on the way but not right at the national park. The road from San Jose is good. Si Como No has an excellent restaurant and a pool with a great slide for the younger crowd. Tulemar has a kitchenette and a beach which your kids could walk down to without your constant presence. Both hotels are expensive. We went to the Tulemar with American Airlines Vacations and got charged more than the rack rate. When I complained, AA told me they weren't required to charge me the rack rate or less. We also were overcharged for our SUV (from Enterprise in San Jose). We would have been better off going direct to the hotels and car company. In regard to Belize, you would not need a car if you go to Ambergris Cay. Some hotels on Ambergris, however, do not have pools so look carefully. I am taking my family there next Christmas and staying at Banana Beach.
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 02:08 PM

Actually, Tulemar is on the beach.
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

sending to the top for Kennedy
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who recommended Manuel Antonio and Si Como No. Just back from a fabulous week -loved the hotel, the location, everything about the area. We didn't do as many excursions as my daughter and I would've liked (missed whitewater rafting and snorkeling - maybe next time), due to son's intransigence, but loved the canopy tour on the zip lines, great horseback ride into the mountains with swimming in a river, and night walk through the jungle. Best family vacation ever, and Si Como No is THE place to go for families - my son made "13 friends" he says. Thanks again .
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 04:26 PM

What a great story! I agree that Costa Rica is the coolest place for kids just because of all the wildlife and varied activities. There is absolutely something for everyone there!