Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Belize on a Budget (Qs about ADO Bus, Caye Caulker, and More)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2012, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have ten days to get to Belize, see the country, and get home. Here's the itinerary so far:

Day 1: Fly to Cancun. We'll arrive around 11:00, and our plan is to take the ADO night bus to Belize City that night. Any suggestions on what to do in the intervening hours are welcome. I'm thinking with we take the shuttle into downtown Cancun and have some lunch and see the couple of ruins near there OR more likely, we take the bus to Playa Del Carmen and spend the day there. I have not found any way to buy the tickets online. Is there a way to buy them by phone? I am hoping they won't be sold out when we arrive. Since the bus won't leave Playa until so late, is it safe for us to walk around after dark or should we go park ourselves at the bus station with a good book?

Day 2: Arrive in Belize City early and hop on a bus to San Ignacio. We'll be staying at Midas Resort. The plan for the day is drop our bags at the hotel & to pop on a bus over to Xunantunich. After that, we'll wander around San Ignacio and swim in the pool at Midas.

Day 3: ATM or Caracol (Tour company recommendations?)

Day 4: Relax and recoup from Day 3.

Day 5: Whichever we missed on Day 3.

NOTES ON SAN IGNACIO: We're vegetarian, so I am very interested to hear any recommendations for restaurants. We're not picky otherwise. We're not looking for much in the way of nightlife, but an affordable bar recommendation would be great as well.

Day 6: Head back to Belize City and take the Water Taxi to Caye Caulker. NEED HOTEL IDEAS! Nowhere has stood out to me, yet. I like a good deal, hubby would like air conditioning.

Days 7-8: Swimming at the split, renting bikes to cruise the island, snorkeling at least one day (my husband has a stingray phobia, so I doubt he'll go out more than once). Again, looking for restaurant recommendations, and a recommendation for a snorkeling outfit.

Day 9: Water Taxi back to Belize City, and the night bus back to Cancun.

Day 10: Flight doesn't leave until 3:40 so possibly heading to the downtown ruins in Cancun before taking the bus to the airport?

Alright, Belize Experts, what say you?

Read more: http://www.frommers.com/community/fo...#ixzz1p98drS8g
Old Mar 14th, 2012, 06:33 PM

Hi, there -
I'll give a stab at the ones I have an opinion about:
ATM Tour: http://pacztours.net/actun-tunichil-muknal/

Here's where I'd stay on Caulker - checked them out but haven't stayed there yet:
http://www.gocayecaulker.com/accommo...xhapan-cabanas

Great reviews on Trip Advisor:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...ize_Cayes.html

We loved our day of snorkeling and sailing:
http://raggamuffintours.com/hol-chan-snorkel/

Happy trails!
Old Mar 14th, 2012, 06:46 PM

Don't miss dinner at Wish Willy on Caulker - mmmmmm.
Old Mar 15th, 2012, 07:10 AM

ON your "relax" day, be sure to tour Cahal Pech just above San Ignacio; it's a wonderful site (15 minute walk from Midas; or splurge on a taxi one way; bit of a hill).
Old Mar 15th, 2012, 07:26 AM

Day 1: I find Playa is a much nicer place than Cancun City, and there's an airport shuttle bus from the airport to Playa. I don't know about getting to any ruins from either Cancun or Playa, but there are some ruins around Tulum.

Whatever you decide, you should buy your ticket to BC as soon as you arrive at the bus terminal in Cancun or Playa or Tulum. ADO has a website, but I've never tried to reserve online.

I find Playa very safe to walk around at night.
Old Mar 15th, 2012, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much!

Hopefulist: I see that Maxhapan is not on the water. Are there public areas we can go lounge near the water if it strikes our fancy? We had also looked at Barefoot Beach so that we could be ON the water. The reviews are not as great as Maxhapan, so I would LOVE to stay at Maxhapan if we can still find places to sit and read while enjoying the sounds of the water.

Sylvia: I fully intend to! It was already on my to-do list.

MisterB: Thanks for the tips. I have been all over the ADO site and at this time it doesn't appear I can book the bus tickets online. I'm going to stay on top of it though, and hopefully it will come up. If all else fails, I do plan on buying the bus tickets FIRST THING.
Old Mar 15th, 2012, 12:33 PM

The problem with the beach ones is that it's where everyone walks up and down the island so not very private. Some places have docks which gives you a base for lounging and swimming. Lots of folks lounge around the Split or you can just choose a spot on the beach. Maxhapan has a sandy, shared garden area with chairs and hammocks for lounging, but no, it's not right on the water. Also note that the barrier reef cuts out wave action so there's not much to hear.
Old Mar 15th, 2012, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

That settles it then! I've just popped Louise an email back confirming us for our dates. Very glad to have that bit taken care of.
Old Mar 16th, 2012, 11:25 AM

When is your trip and what's your budget for Caye Caulker lodging?