Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Belize in June - mosquitos? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/belize-in-june-mosquitos-197032/)

Lynn Apr 10th, 2002 09:40 AM

Belize in June - mosquitos?

My husband and I and another couple are thinking about taking a trip to Belize at the end of June. After reading a few posts on here regarding mosquitos and sand flies I'm wondering if we should pick a differnet destination. We're from Houston so we definitely know all about dealing with mosquitos. But, I don't want that to ruin our vacation either. I'd love to hear what everyone has to say. <BR><BR>Also, if we don't go to Belize where would you suggest we go? My husband and I would like to dive at least one time while we're on vacation. We're also looking for a location that is not too expensive (we're still paying off our honeymoon trip to Maui that we took in July!) Thanks in advance for your help.

xxx Apr 10th, 2002 09:44 AM

GO...bring some repellent and you'll be fine.

Lan Sluder Apr 10th, 2002 10:40 AM

I don't know what you've been reading but in many areas of Belize, such as in much of Cayo district and on the water in coast and caye areas you will probably not even see a mosquito. Some jungle lodges around San Ignacio, for example, don't even have screens on their windows as bugs are no problem. And at the beach, as long as there is an offshore breeze blowing (which is almost all the time, except in late summer) the mozzies can't fly.<BR><BR>Sandflies are at times a problem in some areas, such as around Hopkins, but I wouldn't base a vacation decision on something like that.<BR><BR>June, since it is only at the start of the rainy season, really isn't a bad time for bugs in Belize, and as I say depending on where you are you may not even see a mosquito.<BR><BR>--Lan Sluder<BR>(I co-wrote the Belize section of the new Fodor's Belize & Guatemala Guide coming out this year and have done five other books on Belize)

kristen Apr 11th, 2002 03:56 PM

GO to Belize, it's beautiful and friendly. June is the onslaught of the rainy season, LOTS of Mosquito's and other (sometimes I find worse) bugs like bot and doctor flies (watch out!)inland, but winds on the coast prevent a lot of Mosquitos at the worst times of the day. About sand flies, very bad on most islands, if you stick to the tourist places like Ambergris Caye, they spray for sandflies and they're not a problem. The worst problem in Belize in May-June is the pica-pica (means sting-sting). I'm not joking, it's a jellyfish larvae that spans the coast in those months, giving harsh stings and very uncomfortable days. These line the water column, you cannot see them and you don't even know you've been stung until the next day. The only somewhat remedy is to cover yourself in vasoline before you go diving. It's not fun, they attack the sensitive skin areas like armpits and necks, and they go away in 3-4 days only to return in two weeks (even if you haven't been in the water). Just ask your dive operator where the pica-pica isn't, these larvae move in patches and the locals know where they are most of the time.

Lynn Apr 12th, 2002 06:21 AM

Thanks for everyone's replies...If we go we will be going to Ambergis Caye and staying at Coconuts so hopefully we'll be safe from most of the bugs!