Search

Belize in December

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2018, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Belize in December

We are having a late start organizing a trip to Belize in December. What are the best flying options to get there ? I've read getting there via Cancun may be better ? For a six day trip, would love to receive recommendations on must see places ? We are looking to stay at a place that's not super touristy and offers other things to do and would welcome some good options ? Thanks much !
Old Jul 8th, 2018, 06:27 AM

I don't know where you're flying from, so can't make any airline recommendations. With only 6 days, and if you want to spend all your time in Belize, you should fly to the Philip Goldson International Airport (or PGIA, airport code: BZE) near Belize City.

Flying to Cancun is an option if you have a lot of time because it takes several hours to continue to Belize on the ground. Or you can fly from Cancun to BZE with Tropic Air, a Belizean airline. I've travelled to Belize via Cancun, but I have a lot of time and like to spend at least a week in Mexico.

In Belize, I like to suggest a split between the mainland and one of the cayes, but with only 6 days, you might prefer to stay at one location and do day-trips.

For many mainland activities, stay at the town of San Ignacio or in one of the lodges in the rain-forest. Whichever you choose, there are a LOT of accommodation options for any budget. In town, you have restaurants, ATMs, grocery stores, tour companies, bars, etc., and I've always found San Ignacio to be friendly and safe.

The activities I'd put at the top of the list: Xunantunich, ATM (or other) cave, then you can choose from Cahal Pech, cave-tubing, hiking, waterfalls, Caracol, zip-lining. If you like zoos, visit the Belize Zoo on the way to or from San Ignacio. San Ignacio is a also a good base for a day or overnight trip to Tikal, but you might not have time.

For the beach part, the main locations are Ambergris Caye, Caye Caulker, Placencia and Hopkins.

The two cayes are quite different. AC is more developed and gets more tourists & retirees, while CC is smaller, quieter and more laid-back. Both have good access to the barrier reef for diving & snorkelling. AC has nicer beaches and more food options. CC is more popular with backpackers. I like both places, and it sounds like you might prefer Caulker.

Another suggestion for a not so touristy location is Hopkins. Hopkins is a small, quiet village with a good beach -- some people love it, others hate it. The reef is farther out than from the cayes. There are some good activities down south: Cockscomb Wildlife Sanctuary, Bocawina, zip-lines, drumming centres, Garifuna Museum, Maya sites.

For transportation, buses and water taxis are cheap, but private transfer services are quicker and more comfortable (maybe the best option with a group). For even quicker trips, fly with one of the domestic airlines. Once you have a plan for where you want to go, then you can come back and get better transportation advice. In the meantime, have a look at the BelizeBus website for transportation information...
https://belizebus.wordpress.com/

If your departure flight from Belize is not really early in the morning, you should be able to spend your final night on the caye, and get to the airport in time for your flight.

For an accommodation listing, see the BTB website...
https://www.travelbelize.org/…

Also have a read of a guidebook. I borrow them from a library.

Hope this helps.
Old Jul 8th, 2018, 01:50 PM

Great advice above. If you don't have one already, in my opinion you should get your hands on a guidebook and devour it, even an older 1 from your local library would work. They have good historical and cultural background sections and suggested itineraries in addition to travel, tour, food, and lodging specifics. When you have a better idea of what you’re wanting, you can get more updated info from the internet and come back with more specific questions so we can help you better.
In the mean time here's a link to my photos with blog, travelogue, and review links on the main page of each collection - all my recommendations are embedded there.
Happy planning!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections
Old Nov 15th, 2018, 09:28 PM
Original Poster

Belated thanks to some great ideas. Really appreciate it.
Old Nov 15th, 2018, 09:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great suggestions and agree, touching base with more specific questions is a good next step.
Old Nov 17th, 2018, 03:22 AM
Original Poster

Hi - our plans are to fly straight into Belize City and will be staying at AC in San Pedro until the 26th. The plan during that stay is to relax and most likely go snorkeling for a day. Any suggestions on private transfer services are all services equally good.?

We are then moving to Belize City on the 26th and staying there till the 29th. The plan is to go see the ruins one day. Which would you recommend ? Anything else for the rest of the stay in Belize City ? The caves another day ? Is the zoo worth a visit ?

Thanks much !
Old Nov 17th, 2018, 11:03 AM

Belize is very nice, but would highly recommend stopping by Cozumel and Playa Del Carmen. There are lots to do in Cozumel Island in December and the snorkeling and diving is out of this world.