Belize City for the Day, Suggestions

Feb 9th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Belize City for the Day, Suggestions

I will be in Belize City for a day the first week of March and I'm looking for something to do with my family. I would love to go to the zoo but transportation seems like it will be an issue.

I have 2 small girls 8 & 3 y.o. and would like for them to get a feel for the area and not just the boat dock or some cheesey cruise ship excersion. Does anyone have any suggestions about what to do or where to go? Any suggestions would be very helpful.
Feb 9th, 2009, 10:10 AM

You could hire a tour company to meet you and take you to the zoo and/or the Community Baboon Sanctuary where you'd get to see black howler monkeys in the wild. Another option might be a visit to Lamanai (drive through agricultural land, boat trip up a jungle river, beautiful Maya ruins in a jungly setting on a lagoon) but I'd only do that if you can set it up through the cruise company because it's a full day and you don't want to miss your connection.

I've heard good things about Raul Marchand: [email protected]
and George and Esther Moralez: [email protected]
http://gettransfers.com/

I've been researching transport options for our return visit to Belize and may work with both of them. Usually we just take local buses so I don't have personal experience yet except via email.

Happy trails!
Feb 9th, 2009, 10:59 AM

The zoo is totally worth it if you can swing it-it's tiny and very family-friendly and the school kids, every color of the rainbow, are so beautiful. It will be hard to get a real sense of Belize in one day, of course, but if you can hire a guide or somehow get to go to a ruin or the zoo or baboon (actually howler monkeys) sanctuary without the entire cruise ship horde, you'll see the open nature of the people and their great regard for the natural and historical treasures they share with you.
Feb 10th, 2009, 09:30 AM

Do something organized with a guide; don't go wandering around BC alone with your girls.
Feb 11th, 2009, 05:02 AM

Just my 2 cents worth. I found after staying in Belize city a few times that the Global Villiage by the airport was a real fair deal. Large clean rooms at a fair price but there is nothing to nearby. But a great stepping stone if you get in late or leave early in the morning. I too like the Baboon Santuary where you will see tons of monkeys and their babies. Sunday they have a sea food buffet at Radisson Fort George or at least they did in 2007. The boat ride to Laminai is really neat as it takes you many twist and turns on the Laminai river.(My wife who is afraid of water loved it and talks about just doing that part of the trip in a slow boat as it was so beautiful) The ruins would give your family a real treat if they like ancient history. Again with all things arrive early last boat is around 12-1 I am not sure but I know we just caught the last one.

Mike
Feb 20th, 2009, 05:51 AM

We'll be there on the 10th and are taking a Lamanai ruins tour that includes a boat ride on the New River. The ruins have four families of howler monkeys living within the park.

Remember March 9th is a national holiday, Baron Bliss day.

I thought the Baboon Sanctuary was closed?
Feb 20th, 2009, 11:52 AM

I haven't heard any references to the Baboon Sanctuary being closed - we have reservations to stay there this summer and the people we've communicated with have been really upbeat and responsive.