Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Belize Ambergris lodging (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/belize-ambergris-lodging-136911/)

Chris Jan 5th, 2002 11:11 AM

Belize Ambergris lodging

Hello- my husband and I are trying to choose between Paradise Resort Hotel, the Blue Tang Inn and Caribbean Villas for a four day romantic trip for two in April to the cayes. We are not interested in the motel atmosphere of Coconuts or Bananas. Thanks for any input.

Lan Sluder Jan 5th, 2002 05:48 PM

Well, despite your comment, I'd put Banana Beach at the top of the five properties you mention -- especially the seafront suites on the second and third floor corners, which are really nice, and romantic. I've never before heard Banana Beach compared to a motel, and Coconuts is motel-like only in that its rooms are about the size and shape of motel rooms.<BR><BR>Next to Banana Beach, I'd say Blue Tang Inn (formerly Rock's Inn) would be the nicest, then Caribbean Villas, the suites anyway, with Paradise Resort well behind.<BR><BR>--Lan Sluder

Chris Jan 6th, 2002 11:10 AM

Hello Lan- Thank you so much for your input. I was wondering if you receive any incentives from Coconuts or Bananas-just because you seem to speak of them highly often, and the feedback is slightly different from that in our travel guides/ books. Any feedback is very helpful though.

Lan Sluder Jan 6th, 2002 06:32 PM

Right, Chris, you guessed it -- I get a percentage from each listing I refer to Coconuts or Banana Beach. They pay me, oh, $5000 for each sucker I send there.<BR><BR>That's also why Fodor's has hired me do their guide to Belize the last two editions, and why I did the Belize section of the the UpClose Central American guide, also from Random House, and that's also how I've been able to do four other books on Belize in the last ten or eleven years.<BR><BR>Jeez, gimme a break. You asked for a recommendation. I gave you mine. It's my honest opinion. If you don't like it, too bad. But it's my opinion, based on multiple visits to every single property on Ambergris Caye. I think Coconuts and Banana Beach are among the best run properties on the island and objectively they are among the best values. I've also stayed at all the properties you are looking at except Paradise Hotel.<BR><BR>I probably have most of the guidebooks on Belize every written in my library, and I don't see any negatives on either Coconuts or Banana Beach. Would you please refer me to an exact reference?<BR><BR>--Lan Sluder

Steve Jan 7th, 2002 11:19 AM

Lan,<BR><BR>Just curious...what's your take on Caribe Island Resort? We stayed there in '97 and absolutely loved it.

Testy, Lan, Jan 7th, 2002 05:56 PM

Lan, I've heard that you frequently expect to get free meals from the places you review. True?

Shawn Jan 9th, 2002 10:54 AM

Chris,<BR> My wife and I stayed at the Blue Tang last May to celebrate our 5th anniversary. We stayed in a third floor ocean front and absoluetly loved the place. It is not luxurious, but was very modern with beautiful views and landscaping. Plus, it was very close to town, but nevertheless quiet. Highly recommended. Have a great time!<BR><BR>Shawn