Belize-Ambergris for long weekend?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2011, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would arriving Friday morning and leaving late Monday afternoon from Belize's intl. airport allow enough time in Ambergris Caye for a solo traveler to enjoy and cover the island in 3 nights, 2 full days, and 2 half days? I plan to go to Hol Chan on one day, and maybe Caulker Caye the other full day. I plan to snorkel (not dive) and enjoy live music/restaurants at night. Or do you think I need another day? Also, do I need to worry about bad weather in late May? Coming from US and not able to spend time on mainland. Thanks in advance!
Old May 10th, 2011, 09:09 AM

It's doable, but I think you'll wish you had more time there. We didn't want to leave.
Old May 10th, 2011, 11:09 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Is the 3 nights your entire trip? For me personally I wouldn't spend the money to fly that far from the U.S. if I only had such a short time. It makes your "per day" cost astronomically high.
Old May 10th, 2011, 11:25 AM

Do it! You'll have a blast. You can book the full day 3 snorkel trip stop to Caye Caulker, where you have lunch, a bit of time to walk around and back in the boat to SP. This should include Hol Chan. Bacalar Chico is another great full day snorkel trip to the northern tip of the caye, where Belize borders with MX, divided by a canal dug by the Mayas a thousand or so yrs ago. Should be lively at the restaurants and bars. Rainy season starts June 1, but can begin before or after. I'm flying out to San Pedro Thursday night just for the night to play. Enjoy.
Old May 10th, 2011, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for sharing your thoughts, and also the snorkel trip recommendation!
Old May 11th, 2011, 09:43 AM

I'd do it in a heartbeat. We had 3 nights there (or 4, can't remember) and absolutely loved it. San Pedro is a very cool little town to explore. We had so much fun snorkeling, trying different restaurants, and riding bicycles. There are really cool little palapa bar if you ride over the bridge (across the cut) out of town. We could have spent the entire afternoon, relaxing out over the water and just chilling.
Old May 11th, 2011, 09:59 AM

Hol Chan is amazing - best snorkeling we've ever done. I love the combo of huge fish and rays, along with smaller colorful tropical fish. Neat spot. Lots of sea turtles too.