Reload this Page >

BELIZE--->Ambergris Caye - thoughts?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 1997, 09:19 AM
Kris

We're off to soak up the sun and loll with the fish... any suggestions on best budget hotel/place to eat? Also, for the one day we might want to actually be active (we really need R&R), any suggestions? Gracias.

Old Aug 28th, 1997, 07:11 PM
l.martin

2 years ago my husband and I celebrated his 40th at Ambergris Caye. We stayed at Ramon's Village which is probably not considered budget but the grounds were so pretty and the rooms were just what you would expect in Belize: thatched type, some had a/c but ours did not, which was not a problem. There is a pool there and diving/snorkeling and day trip activities that can be booked on site if you need to do that. We dove with them and it was fine, also booked the Altum (?) mayan ruins with them which was very interesting. Don't worry about getting your R & R in Ambergris--with 1 main street in town there's not much to do. Elva's Kitchen ( I think is the name) downtown had pretty good seafood. Watch out for the Pineapple juice and coconut rum!

Old Sep 2nd, 1997, 03:57 PM
Dianne

In 1993, my husband and I stayed at MILOS, very low budget, more like a boarding house with shared baths, but very clean. It was really cheap about $12.00 a night, but it left extra money to eat out, snokeling trips, etc. It housed a lot of different people, but made it interesting, just something to consider.

Old Sep 7th, 1997, 01:57 PM
Allison Johnson

Eats--definitely The Reef for local fish (not to be confused with the Barrier Reef, which also has great food).

Also, Estel's Dine-By-The Sea, Reality Cafe, and Fido's.

I hear Capricorn is good, but it's up north and you have to either golf cart up there or take a water taxi. We'll check it out in December.

Old Sep 8th, 1997, 08:44 AM
susan

Ambergris Cay was paradise. We stayed at
Ramon's but wouldn't do that again. The
Victoria House is beautiful and private if you
are looking for that. Panny, a local fishing
guide, cooked our catch on an island. It was
such a fine experience. It's a lovely little
island the people are beautiful. I hope to
return. There is also a great bar w/sharks,
rays, etc. in a pen off the deck. Diving is
fabulous.

Old Sep 19th, 1997, 08:43 PM
Eileen

About three years ago we stayed at Ramon's village and thought it was great! Back then the prices there were very reasonable, but I've heard that it's gone up since. A group of people that I work with have gone down there twice in the past 2 years, and they always stay at the SunBreeze hotel. They say it's very clean, has A/C, and is right on the water. I've seen it from the outside, and it's only a few feet from the airport runway! So close in fact, that when we were there we thought it was the terminal!(There is not one!) Anyway, apparently the hotel has very cheap packages- they found deals in Skin Diver magazine. Victoria House is very nice, but definitely not on the budget level. Have fun!