RIU Tequila? Sandos Playacar? Experiences?

Old Feb 1st, 2007, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RIU Tequila? Sandos Playacar? Experiences?

So... I'm looking for a budget AI vacation with decent amenities. Although this hotel doesn't sit directly on the beach, it shares the RIU Yucatan beach and gets great reviews on tripadvisor as far as food, pools, cleanliness, etc. The RIU Yucatan actually gets less than great reviews on the same things, which was a little surprising to me. Anyway, I don't think I mind not being directly on the beach, so I was wondering if anyone has stayed at this resort. Experiences? Thoughts? We were also looking at the Sandos Playacar down from the RIU Yucatan, but the food and pools sound better at the Tequila.
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 03:37 PM

I've stayed at the Tequila three times and the Yucatan just this past June. I was pleasantly surprised by the renovation on the pool area at the Yucatan. I do really like the Tequila though and would not hesitate to stay at either.
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

If someone forced you to choose between the two, which would you pick?
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 03:02 PM

That would be tough. It would depend upon the price. If it was substantially less I would take the Tequila without hesitation. I enjoy the dining room and especially the breakfast and servers at the Tequila much more than the dining room at the Yucatan. The rooms are essentially the same. Since I don't go in the pool that is not a consideration. If it was then I'd go with the Yucatan. Both hotels use the same beach. I don't mind the walk over from the Tequila. I'd probably go with the Tequila. Last summer the Yucatan was less expensive on one of their sales which was the reason we went there.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

colokid - I haven't booked this trip yet, but was just pricing it out on beachdestinations.com (a site I just discovered) and can get the Yucatan for super-cheap - just as cheap as what I was planning on for the Tequila. So... in this situation, then, would you say book the Yucatan?
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 04:04 PM

Yes, I would. Have a great time.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, colokid! Looking forward to it. Just curious... is colokid short for Colorado Kid? If so, I'm in Colorado too.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 03:01 PM

Yes, it is. I'm in Littleton but travel to Playa about 6 times a year. What part of the state are you from and what month are you planning on going down? I'm leaving in 5 weeks!
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Wow, six times. That makes me jealous. We're on the south side of Highlands Ranch. I grew up in Littleton. We were originally looking at April, but our dates keep getting pushed out and now it's looking like the beginning of May.
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Since I've discovered beachdestinations.com and their low prices, I'm now considering the Iberostar Tucan as well. Any thoughts on this resort? It's so nice to have someone who travels to the area so often to bounce ideas off of.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 03:52 AM

No problem. I've not stayed at the Iberostar Tucan. It is just south next to the Yucatan. The grounds look very nice and it gets good reviews. I do know people who stay there every year and love it. I've only stayed at one Iberostar and that was our very first trip 7 years ago. Went to the Iberostar Del Mar which was much smaller than the massive complex up there today. The food was very good at the Iberostar and so was the service. We bought a condo last year so my AI times are limited. We stayed at the Yucatan last June. May and June are low season with the rates going up again in July when many Europeans travel. If you're thinking of a RIU definitely go on their website and get a RIU card plus get your email registered with them. I got a great rate at the Yucatan because of a sale they had through their website.
Old Jun 20th, 2013, 09:26 AM

Go for Sandos Playacar, The hotel is excellent and within short taxi distance of Playa del Carmen and it's sister hotel the Caracol Eco Resort. The food at the a la cartes was great, especially the French restaurant, Le Gourmet. Make sure you are hungry when you go to the Brazilian - the food there was excellent but it is 9 courses and you get full very fast. We stayed in the adult section of the resort and the pool there was lovely, very quiet and we had no problems getting a lounge chair at any time of the day. The bartenders there are very friendly as well and before you even step up to the bar they know what you want!! The rooms are very clean, the room service was excellent. Even though upgrading and building work was ongoing at the time of our visit, there was no excessive noise or inconvenience to guests. The one thing to avoid was the VIP royal elite upgrade tour:

http://www.timesharescam.com/timesha...re-complaints/

This is a form of timeshare without the name; with typical aggressive salesmanship when offer was refused. With the exception of this, the experience of the hotel and it's staff was exceptional and one of our best holidays in Mexico.