Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Beaches, safety, food..... (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/beaches-safety-food-528214/)

sjde53 May 11th, 2005 06:27 AM

Beaches, safety, food.....

We're trying to decide between Belize and Aruba in November. How do the two compare in terms of safety, beauty, climate, food, cost, and beaches? Thanks.

Sue

Gekko May 11th, 2005 07:29 AM

Aruba, an arid rock <i>south of the hurricane belt</i>, has extraordinary beaches and is very safe.

Since you plan to travel during hurricane season, that might be enough to tip the balance.

moschops May 11th, 2005 07:37 AM

been to both - Aruba - would never go again - rubbish
Belize - fantastic - whereabouts r u thinking of?

faithie May 11th, 2005 07:55 AM

I do not think Arubas landscape could ever be described as beautiful ...... Beaches yes , but they r windy ....

Gekko May 11th, 2005 10:02 AM

Aruba is a great destination -- Palm &amp; Eagle beaches are among the most beautiful in the world, and the dining/entertainment options are plentiful.

And, as I mentioned, <b>it's south of the hurricane belt</b>.

Perhaps you should inquire about Aruba in the Caribbean section (this is Latin America).

Also, visit www.aruba-bb.com

suze May 11th, 2005 11:15 AM

Isn't the high-end tourist industry much more developed in Aruba, than in Belize?

Katie_Valk May 11th, 2005 03:50 PM

Belize-largest barrier reef in this hemisphere and three atolls for spectacular diving, snorkeling, fishing, sailing. Mainland trips to Maya sites, caving, scenic jungle trips, horses, river trips. Our months of concern for hurricanes have been Sept and Oct. Multi cultural and ethnic, official language is english, US$ currency, friendly, people are our best natural resourse.

Taxguru May 11th, 2005 08:56 PM

Belize offers an extremely diverse selection of things to do and in my opinion, is the better of the two. I think the beaches are probably nicer in Aruba but there are some class A snorkeling and diving spots in Belize...Mayan ruins, rain forest and other things to discover. Don't miss an excursion to Tikal in Guatemala while you are there. Also, do not spend any time in Belize City. It is very dangerous. Outside the city is very friendly. I have heard Aruba offers nothing visually other than the beaches since it is very arid. Good luck!

moschops May 12th, 2005 04:00 AM

i'd agree with tax guru - belize offers so many opportunities - has fantastic beaches and high end hotels on ambergris key -
for me aruba was completely spoilt by development - had no character and would never visit again

uhoh_busted May 13th, 2005 05:03 PM

Whata's the deal with Belize -- some friends were going this week, but were contacted by Hotels.com that they could change if they wanted to because of the revolution?????? They are now in St Lucia. I gotta look through other threads to see if there's anything about that here....

uhoh_busted May 13th, 2005 05:12 PM

I'm not seeing anything anywhere...This info must be totally misunderstood or just flat out wrong. Sorry - I do not mean to cause any panic. I really don't know where my source got her info. Just silly-strange.

RufusTFirefly May 14th, 2005 04:48 AM

There had been demonstrations, looting, and riots in Belize recently--end of April and early May. Haven't heard anything new on it.

Katie_Valk May 14th, 2005 04:59 AM

Widespread discontent for current democratrically elected govt. Union (good) led demonstrations culminated one night in April with hooligans (bad) looting a few stores downtown. Think the country scared itself as demonstrations ceased afterwards. Calm since.