Beach/water access with ease, no need of watershoes

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 09:25 AM
denette

Beach/water access with ease, no need of watershoes

I am trying so hard to be very, very thorough in my research and want to have ease of entry, where watershoes are not a must, sandy beaches and not the rocks/coral to walk over to get out and snorkel. I have two sons, excellent swimmers, age 7 and 14
and am looking from Playa del Carmen down to Xel-Ha. Many of the sites I see show rocky beach areas/entry, and we want sandy beaches with easy access, and fantastic snorkeling. We have invited sister-in-law's family that includes a daughter who is physically handicapped, walking her is a very careful process and would like villa/condo/AL resort that has these things mentioned. I have researched Akumal and many of the villas are located on rocky/coral beaches, Xpu-ha sounds gorgeous. I know you folks who have vacationed down that way can tell me the best of the best and I would appreciate any/all input-suggestions.
We think we want a villa/like having a pool to ourselves/convenient for niece/like gathering around in evening for meals/laughter/drinks in a relaxed atmosphere. but would consider condo or Al resort.
Thank you for your kindness and all suggestions.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 09:39 AM
x

Xpu Ha.
The family that owns this stretch of beach (also owners of Xel Ha and Xcaret) purchased this land while the former corrupt governor of Quintana Roo (Villeneuve - now in jail) was in power, over the protests of environmentalists.
They got around this by promising to keep the area a "wildlife refuge" since it is the historic nesting grounds for tens of 1000's of sea turtles.
They then developed the area, and are busy destroying the entire coast with huge mega-resorts that are overwhelming the ecosystem.
If you are interested in staying in the PDC area, I'd suggest staying closer into town (there are many more things to do/see anyway) as opposed to one of the new resorts down the road along hwy 307.
If you are looking for the best beach with good snorkeling, it is tough to find a sandy beach with good snorkeling. The Akumal area has the nicest villas and the best snorkeling.
Look at locogringo.com.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 10:20 AM
Marj

I think most of the playacar resorts have very nice beaches. We stayed at what is now called the gala a few years ago and the beach was lovely. this year we're trying the Barcelo maya because, from what I have research, has some of the best beaches in the area and greta snokelling right on the premises. These trips were also with our 2 kids.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 10:22 AM
Marj

excuse my typos in the previous post. i just wanted to add that the gala had nice beaches but there wasn't much to see snorkelling at the beach. you have to go on their snorkel trip (by boat) to actually see something interesting. supposed at the barcelo, there is one area that has very good snorkelling without taking a boat trip.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 03:55 PM
dawn

We are going to the Xpuha in march. We love to snorkel and the beaches are excellent. This is a true family vacation.

Old Jan 29th, 2003, 04:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could anyone please enlighten me to area around Jade Beach, and down along Akumal. Where exactly down along Akumal is water easiest access and snorkeling the very, very best.
Thank you again for your kindness. We are leaning toward a condo/villa or non AL as I have learned there are many wonderful restaurants down along the Playa del Carmen area and we would like to try some of them, and we like having the convenience of kitchen/kitchenette to prepare snacks/breakfasts at a leisure pace for kids. Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 1st, 2003, 09:23 AM

Anybody out there with any input or suggestions, recommendations on Particular villas????
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 11:00 AM

The place for you is the Akumal Beach Resort. The beach is gorgeous, the bay is awesome for snorkeling. email me directly, I will answer all of your questions, My husband and I were there last March and loved it. [email protected]