Roatan

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2000, 12:30 PM
Noriko

Roatan

I'm thinking of taking a trip to Roatan in MAr/Apr but don't know anyone firsthand who has been there. Web sites and travel guides so far have been helpful, but was wondering how the safety of the island is? I had read that some other Honduran beaches are dangerous, but how is Roatan? <BR>Thanks in advance for helpful replies...

Old Feb 7th, 2000, 08:10 AM
Meg

I just returned from my first short trip to Roatan and am going back for a week in early March. I loved it and felt very safe. Coxen Hole unnerved me a little bit but only because of the extreme poverty that I saw there. I have a good friend who lives there, so maybe I was more comfortable than I would ordinarily be in a new place. I am told that the islanders realize how important tourism is to the island and crime is minimal. I imagine that there are some dangerous beaches that a tourist would not want to frequent, but if you're like us, the beaches you will be on aren't the dangerous ones. West Bay Beach is absolutely fabulous. I was disappointed in the West End beach area - not much of a beach. The people were friendly. The food is great. It's a very laid back place. I came away with the feeling that if you have on shoes, you're dressed up. Enjoy!

Old Apr 2nd, 2000, 08:18 PM
bl

I have been to Honduras three times and have travelled the region between Tegucigalpa, San Pedro Sula, and Omoa. I have always found the people down there to be friendly and the bay islands are even more tourist oriented and full of gringos so I doubt you'll have any problems. You can expect to have a unique and inspiring time down there, just don't dress flashy.

Old Jun 27th, 2000, 09:06 AM
tom

I know this is not a timely response but I have been meaning to say this so here goes. My girlfriend and I were in West End, Roatan back in Feb/Mar and stayed at a great place (Pinnochios, nice rooms and maybe the best food there). One night she left her purse on the bar to dance with a local dude (including: passport, camera, 2 gold chain bracelets, $us 200, and credit cards). Someone lifted it off the bar and we spent the next 24hrs in total panic, really bummed, and trying to track down who took it. Well, turned out that a local dude was drunk and lifted it. Some other local dudes found it on him on their walk home and took it back to Aarons bar that same night. She got her purse back with every thing in it, not a dime missing. We were so happy that we gave all the cash to Aaron, and the three other guys that did that for us. Plus, we'd buy these guys a drink when we'd see them at the bar for the next few weeks. The bottom line is that West End people make their living off us and they know that. They are great people by nature; warm, friendly, and easy to get to know. Their honesty and genuine hospitality will keep me going back even though my real reason to be there is to dive.

Old Jun 27th, 2000, 01:56 PM
Ken

If you love scuba and snorkleling you will enjoy it. Not much else to do but watch the sunset. Check out the Bucket of Blood bar in Coxen Hole.