Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Back to Costa Rica - How do we get from Puerto Viejo to the Osa?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're so excited for our 2nd trip to CR in late July and this time we're taking my 12 year old niece with us! Last time we did Arenal, MA, Uvita, Osa ending at Bosque del Cabo. BTW - is it "Bos-que" or "Bosque"? This time we'll do Puerto Viejo and the Osa in 10 days. We'll rent a car and head for PV for the first 4 days, then back to BdC for 5 days!! Shillmac, you and others gave me such great advice for our first trip, and I see that you like Puerto Viejo too. I'm leaning toward Azania Bungalows (if I ever hear back from them) - the pool looked great for my niece.

But how do we get from PV to Puerto Jimenez? No one flys from Limon over the mountains to PJ, Sansa doesn't fly out of Limon at all, and Nature Air flights are limited. We thought about driving from San Jose to PV, then flying back to San Jose and then right to the Osa. Is this the best way? Can anyone offer help with this?

One more thing. Any advice on the weather in the Caribbean and Osa in mid-late July? Will this preclude good snorkeling? We thought is might be nice to go to Bocas del Toro for the day from PV.

Thanks for any help
Lori
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 09:36 AM

This is a great site for checking the weather for certain areas during specific months; just mouse over the map to see. www.costa-rica-guide.com. It's not completely predictable though; we went to the Osa in July and didn't get a single drop of rain even though it's the green season. The pronunciation is like BAHS-Kay. We haven't found good snorkeling in CR.
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 09:59 AM

I just deleted a LONG answer! HATE it when that happens!

Weather:

Rule of thumb for this area: anytime, anyday. That said, it rains less in Sept/Oct and more in Dec./Jan. We always travel there in July (once in January) and rain has never been an issue.

I wouldn't advise a daytrip to Bocas. Bocas is great for 3-4 nights, but the border crossing can be time consuming. By the time you get there, it would be time to return to PV.

On the transfer, I don't think you can avoid overnight in San Jose. What I would recommend is renting from an office near the airport (www.tricolorcarrental.com) and driving yourselves to Puerto Viejo (4-5 hours). Drive through town rather than taking the Uruca route. I can help you get simple, reliable directions. 4 hour drive back to San Jose. Return the car to the Tricolor office on the west end of the Paseo Colon. You'll be very near the acclaimed Hotel Grano de Oro. You can enjoy your stay there and the evening in San Jose. I think it will add to your trip, rather than detract from it. Early next a.m., taxi to Pavas airport (close to that side of town) for the 8:00 flight on Nature Air to Puerto Jimenez. You can even book the return from PJ to SJO on Sansa if you want come straight to the airport to connect with your departure flight home.

Hope this helps a bit. Good luck and have fun! We love traveling to CR during the green season. It's been quite some time since we've been to PV (a couple of years), and I miss it a lot. Had planned to get there this summer, but that's doubtful. Azania a good choice; little bit of attitude, but great bungalows and beautiful pool and excellent location.
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 10:03 AM

Sounds like a great trip! It's Bos-que. If you have difficulties reaching Azania, you might check out Cariblue next door. They have a very nice pool also, a little more open though. Very nice restaurant/bar. If you have a car yes, I think just driving back to SJO, droppping the car and flying to PJ is your best bed. Late July/August are typically fairly rainy...see link - http://costa-rica-guide.com/Weather/WeatherMap.html. I think that Bocas del Toro is a bit far for just a day trip. I'd consider it at least for a night or two nights tough.

Happy planning? OOps --just noticed volcanogirl posted that link as well!
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 10:22 AM

Ooops missed shillmac's post too. There's no later flight from SJO to catch if you leave early enough from Puerto Viejo?
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

hipvirgochick - yes there is a 2:30 flight I found on Sansa leaving San Jose for Puerto Jimenez, so we could probably leave PV early enough in the morning to make it to San Jose by noon or so. Sansa's prices have really gone up in 2 years Round trip for three of us is over $600 - yikes!

shillmac - have you ever driven from Puerto Viejo over the mountains? On a map, it looks like we could drive from Limon to Siquirres (Rte. 32 to 10) then Rte. 2 to San Isidro down to Sierpe and the Osa. We drove our first trip so I think we'd be comfortable driving, but just wondering about this route!

Everyone - thanks so much for your help.
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 02:25 PM

Yes, you could do that. We've gone from San Jose to Puerto Jimenez on the public bus before. Went to Golfito and caught the lancha across. Fun trip. Plan on all day, though. ALL day! You'd only go to Sierpe if you wanted to visit the Drake Bay side of the Osa. Then what would you do with your car? Would it sit during your Osa time? PLUS, you don't need a car on the Osa really.

Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

That's right - I forgot Sierpe is down a ways off the highway. I'm wondering if that route over the mountains is safe and how the roads are. We would drop our rental in Puerto Jimenez and have Bosque pick us up. I'm just trying to save on money, that's my only motivation in this crazy scheme!

thanks again for the good advice about Bocas too....i will save that for another trip!

I think we're just better off driving back to San Jose from PV, staying the night as you said and catching the first flight out to the Osa.

BTW - has anyone chosen the "Locos" $60 flight on Nature Air vs the Elite or 2nd class (forgot that one's name). Is it steerage or something?

Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 08:13 PM

I booked Locos for June. First time for me, and I was thrilled!

Although your drive to Puerto Jimenez could be interesting (and would be, no doubt), I think you would be better off to spend the night in San Jose and fly out the next a.m. Less stress and strain; sometimes we have to weigh that and pay a few more bucks--or choose to save and do it the long way. That decision also has to do with how much time you have, choosing between arriving fresh or pooped, and considering the cost of dropping the vehicle. Used to be around $50, but that far from San Jose I'm guessing you'd pay considerably more.

Either way could be fun, though, depending on your attitude toward your choice! Beautiful country you'd be seeing en route; great view from the air as well!

Good luck! Always tough choices when contemplating Costa Rica!
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 04:24 AM

I think after leaving PV, staying overnight in San Jose to catch an early flight to PJ is the way to go. It appears the only difference in the "Locos" flight vs the other levels is the ability to cancel or reschedule. Shouldn't be a problem. Although the drive from MA down the coast is indeed beautiful, better to maximize time at a desired location than spending that time in a car. Just my opinion, mind you........
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 07:56 AM

www.mapcr.com

went that route in July in a 2WD did fine.

PV-Tirrialba-Cartago-San Isidro PJ

long day...

or go PV SJ Jaco MA Dominical Sierpe for Drake's Bay

www.jintesdeosa.com good Cano Island Snorkeling
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 09:13 AM

Definitely not the Jaco/Manuel Antonio/Dominical route. You'd run into the really bad stretch of road between MA and Dom.
Old Feb 5th, 2012, 01:39 PM

What is the "Locos" $60 flight on Nature Air? I just noticed that this thread is a few years old. Is the Locos flight still available?
Old Feb 5th, 2012, 01:43 PM

I just looked it up! It sounds like the way to go! Are there lockers at Nature Air? It would be nice to leave a bag from the first few weeks of our trip before we head down to the OSA.
Old Feb 5th, 2012, 01:46 PM

gem it basically has to do with # of pounds you are allowed for luggage and the refundable aspects of the tickets. There are 3 tiers of pricing - locos (cheapest), promo (middle) and flex (highest).
Old Feb 5th, 2012, 02:18 PM

sparklegem - Nature Air doesn't have lockers at Pavas, but they do at SJO. You can lock up your stuff at SJO then take the shuttle to Pavas. I've done that trip from PV to Osa a couple times, no problems.
Old Feb 5th, 2012, 03:13 PM

Nature Air doesn't have lockers but for $5 (or is it $8? I forget) will store your bag for you for however long you ask. Just a note - even though it's a small amount, you have to charge it, they won't take cash.
Old Feb 8th, 2012, 11:40 AM

since motmot wrote, the Jaco/Manuel Antonio/Dominical road has been freshly paved, so driving is an option now ... although it is nice to get to the Osa quickly with a quick flight ...
An option to leaving your bag at Nature Air is that many hotels near either airport will hold your bag for you too. Be sure to check the weight limit that Sansa and Nature Air have for your luggage.
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 07:07 AM

Thank you for all of the great options!!