BA - shopping and restaurants

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2005, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Buenos Aires for 5 nights in late December with my fiance. We are staying at the Caesar Park. Any fabulous shopping and/or restaurant suggestions that we can walk to from our hotel?
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 11:17 AM

There are several great restaurants in the area, including four or five that are right next to each other under the highway about three blocks from your hotel. Sarkis is an excellent Greek restuarant there and Piegari has great Italian food. Across the street from Piegari's Italian food is Piegari Vitello e Dolce that has excellent steak, as does El Mirasol on the corner.

This is not to say that there are not hundreds of other great places in BsAs that are available by way of a very cheap taxi ride. One of our favorites was Lomo in Palermo. Ask for rooftop seating.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 02:09 AM

On the other side of the street from the Caesar Park, Patio Bullrich offers some of the most upscale shopping in Buenos Aires. Try the Prune store for handbags of excellent quality and reasonable price....Lopez Taibo offers great mens shoes, on Ave. Alvear a couple of blocks from your hotel. Lopez Taibo makes great handmade shoes....

Restaurants--Sottovoce on Libertador is just a couple of blocks away and has excellent Italian food.

On the corner of Libertad and Libertador is another good choice for lunch, Liber. it is more a cafe than a sit down restaurant.

Malfatto on Libertad between Posadas and Libertador is another good choice for lunch or dinner. Charming restaurant....about a block away from your hotel....

Old Dec 13th, 2005, 08:42 AM

Good advice from dr. dawggy as usual. We ate at Soto Vocce and it was very good. We ate around 10:00 each night as the locals do. Soto Vocce was very crowded and we were given a complimentary Bellini while waiting for our table. Nice touch I thought.

We also went to Patio Bullrich. Lovely stores and it was beautifully decorated for Christmas. The worst thing that happened on our trip was that they didn't have my size in a pair of shoes I wanted!
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 04:35 PM

And don't forget to try Havanna cookies and chocolates. They are amazing.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 04:50 PM

Good advice from SharonG, who was here on business for only a few days and was able to find most of the best things in our town.
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 08:22 AM

Maybe some Freddo's helado to go along with the cookies?
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 08:18 PM

I agree with everything except DO NOT eat at the restaurants inside Patio Bullrich, we tried both for the simple reason we were staying two blocks away but both were bad, all others mentioned before are much better. There is also a nice new italian under the bridge close to the 4 Seasons called Sotto il ponte, it was very good. Good luck.
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much to everyone who posted a reply to my question! Now I have found out that we will be spending an additional two nights at the end of our trip at the Faena. Any restaurant or shopping suggestions for this location? I don't know much about the area.
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 06:44 AM

The Faena is located in a part of Puerto madero that is under development. Not many really good restaurants nearby....with a couple of exceptions...Red in the Sofitel Madero is an excellent restaurant and Asia de Cuba near the Hilton is a good choice.

Puerto Madero is divided by an inland waterway...on the opposite side of the docks from the Faena, there are many good restaurant choices. I like Happening, Gourmet Porteno (upscale all you can eat), La Parrolacia del Mar (Italian seafood) and Puerto Cristal.

Shopping.....nope...get in a cab and go to Galeria Pacifico or Ave. Santa Fe.....
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 06:46 AM

I forgot one other choice...Sushi Club in Puerto Madero.... Not really in Puerto Madero, but nearby is El Establo in the downtown area, for when you really, really, want a good steak....
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 08:34 AM

The probably comes too late for your trip but the restaurant at the Caesar Park is great -- unfortunately I can't remember the name. The chief is also associated with the excellent Olsen in Palermo Hollywood.