Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   BA Palermo Neighborhood Apartments? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/ba-palermo-neighborhood-apartments-682866/)

eurotraveller Feb 25th, 2007 12:26 PM

BA Palermo Neighborhood Apartments?

We are working on planning our 3 1/2 week trip to Argentina in November and the excitement is building!

After doing some research, we are thinking that Palermo may be best suited to our interests. We are looking into renting an apartment for a week.

I realize that Palermo is a very large area. What would be the best part of Palermo that is quiet yet still walking distance to many restaurants and bars?

I have read references to Charcas Blvd as well as Santa Fe Ave. I know there is a Palermo Viejo and then just plain Palermo.

Any recommendations for a great area within Palermo?

Thanks!

mikemo Feb 25th, 2007 12:35 PM

We stayed at Hot Bobo in Palermo Soho last Oct/Nov and loved the area: walked and used the Subte for the most part.
I think better apartments are in areas closer to the S parks in Palermo and in Recoleta.
The prices are mostly so low, it hardly matters.
ScarlettO is moving there and has ongoing updates - so click her name.
Cannot wait to return - great city!
M

drdawggy Feb 25th, 2007 01:49 PM

Palermo Chico--Wealthy and super wealthy...home to diplomats, corporate execs, landed gentry with city homes, soccer and rock stars.

Palermo Nuevo-The area on the American Embassy side of the zoo, stretches to the Jumbo Palermo shopping mall.

Palermo Soho--includes Palermo Hollywood & Palermo Viejo (younger, hipper areas that have undergone renovation after being discovered by those in search of lower priced rents...now a days, the area has become pricy, a victim of its own success).
Alto Palermo--the area near Alto Palermo mall.

Palermo--arguably the nicest section of Palermo, outside of Palermo Chico. You will sometimes see the term Botanico to refer to one section of this area.

eurotraveller Feb 26th, 2007 04:59 AM

Thanks for the replies.

The site I am searching seems to refer to cross streets and there are manty with references to Las Heras Park.

Can anyone tell me which streets I may want to be near? I listed a couple in my original post that are often mentioned.

We are not big shoppers so it isn't important for us to be near a mall although we enjoy browsing boutiques.

Thanks!

drdawggy Feb 26th, 2007 08:29 AM

Some good cross streets....
Salguero/Cabello or Segui

Scalabrini Ortiz and Cabello

Rugerri and Cabello

Republica de India is a nice street, fronting on the zoo....

Charcas is fine, depends on the cross street. Santa Fe is a very busy street..a main drag for shoppint and transportation.

realoc Feb 26th, 2007 06:34 PM

Good thread imo....

Scarlett Feb 26th, 2007 07:20 PM

Hi, yes, this is excellent information!
We will be there in about a month, but we are looking in Recoleta more than Palermo, but I would not say no to Palermo Chico :)
<i>* I always listen to dr dawggy..*</i>

drdawggy Feb 27th, 2007 01:22 AM

Well, if you really listened to Dr__Dawggy you would be looking in Palermo instead of Recoleta. :) I have spent extended periods in both zonas....for me, Palermo is a much nicer place to live.....

(I leased an apartment for three years on Libertad between Posadas and Libertador....More recently, I have spent two summers in an apartment on Scalabrini Ortiz between Cabello and Segui)...I much prefer the second location for an extended stay.

realoc Feb 27th, 2007 06:38 PM

Excellent, but I still have to tell them to keep their elbows off the table... go figure....

Scarlett Feb 27th, 2007 06:47 PM

dr dawwgy, how do you like the area around the US Embassy?

Dick Feb 28th, 2007 06:48 AM

thanks for starting this thread.

We are planning a 10 day trip to Argentina in November, also.

We only have our plane tix (so far) and appreciate all of the advice.

eurotraveller Feb 28th, 2007 08:31 AM

Dick, where arfe you flying from and did you purchase your tickets directly from an airline or did you go through an agent? Do you mind me asking what you paid round trip?

Dick Feb 28th, 2007 08:39 AM

I flying from Washington Dulles non-stop to BA.

I used FF miles for tix. that's the reason why we have tix so early.

Dick Feb 28th, 2007 10:07 AM

Euro,

What areas of Argentina are you planning on touring.

We know we want BA, the Falls, but aren't sure about visiting Mendoza or Patagonia.

eurotraveller Feb 28th, 2007 10:25 AM

We are not quite decided yet but you will get a good idea if you look at my post titled &quot;Buenos Aires, Salta Region and?!&quot;

We have 24 days on the ground so we will take it slowly. I am especially interested in all the wonderful small towns around Salta!

We will save Patagonia for another trip, perhaps even including Antarctic when we do!

How many days do you have?

I think we will depart on Nov. 1st but we don't have our tickets yet. They are quite expensive coming from Portland, OR but well worth it, I think.

mikemo Feb 28th, 2007 11:00 AM

We found Santiago and the Colchagua Valley of Chile surprisingly great - would def return to Santiago.
Way better than Bariloche; Puerto Varas/Puerto Montt and Colonia, UR.
Guess we are simply city folk.
M

eurotraveller Feb 28th, 2007 11:21 AM

mikemo, did you post this on the wrong thread? The questions is about Palermo neighborhoods and you are mentioning Chile and Uraguay? I am confused. :-?