BA...a few of my favorite things, memories, etc.

Feb 15th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

BA...a few of my favorite things, memories, etc.

Just returned from our third trip to BA, and STILL IN LOVE with this treasure. Here are some favorites:

El Ateneo Bookstore on Santa Fe. Whether you are a booklover, a lover of beautiful architecture, a lover of history or theatre, or are simply looking for a atmospheric cafe, you are sure to enjoy a few hours in this BA gem.

The Evita Museum...No, it's not just dresses and shoes, but a good history lesson, a lovely building with an interesting Evita connection, well-organized, and with an English brochure to help those of us who cannot read the beautiful and succinct museum notes.

The Palaces of Alvear...not just the Alvear Palace, but the entire neighborhood. Spend the afternoon enjoying the Parisian atmosphere. One of the most beautiful setting anywhere...breathe it in. Enjoy!

Milonga at Ideal Confiteria...we will never forget the dancing, the faces, the cultural experience of seeing all generations out for an evening of tango.

An evening at Clasica Y Moderna...good live music in a warm bookstore atmosphere. Especially nice when you've had a big lunch and would like just a few bites and a glass of wine to go with the music.

Milion Bar...you'll feel like a Million ensconced in this restored townhouse. No need to "dress Up"...a happening place even pre-dinner!

Palermo, Palermo, Palermo! For its lively street scene, its wonderful cafes, its grit, its hipness, tree-lined streets, fun shopping, esp. on weekends when the creative craft vendors spill out onto the streets.

Na Serapia...don't worry...it's a dive, but the Empanadas are good. You won't be sorry.

Guido's...an Italian restaurant where all the decisions are made for you, and they are all good ones.
Indulge in the multi-courses and enjoy the memories of movie idols of by-gone days.

Afternoon lunch at the Palacio Duhau, Park Hyatt. Indescribable...make it a four hour lunch and enjoy the beautiful,seductive outdoor garden and the grandeur of the architecture. A perfect blend of the Old and New in Buenos Aires.

Velma Theatre in Palermo. We had a great evening here....live music with TangoLoco, combining tango, the Beatles, Bach. Check out what's on while you're there.

Get a copy of the most current Time Out for what's going on in BA. Guide Books have there place, but all-too-often the information is out-of-date.

BA, BA, BA: There's never enough time to do it all, and Chicago's a long way, but maybe, just maybe there will be a fourth visit!

Anything recommended by AV Rooster,
Scarlett, DrDawggy, etc. on the Fodor's Talk Forum....many thanks to all the Fodorites!
Feb 15th, 2009, 07:35 AM

Thank you, parzmom!

When should you expect you back? It's WAY too cold in the "Windy City" now!

Be sure to send us your friends!
Feb 15th, 2009, 07:47 AM

parzmom,

I did a search on Guido's and came up with this NY Times article, about 2 years old.

The link talks about BsAs, and all the goody things that you can do and eat there.

http://events.nytimes.com/2007/02/04...webhours2.html

It's probably been posted before, but it's a validation of your Guido's comments.
Feb 15th, 2009, 10:27 AM

Great tips, thanks.

Tell me more....
Feb 15th, 2009, 11:13 AM

Aww, I am so happy that you enjoyed your visit so much !!

I find myself standing , looking up, with my mouth hanging open lol .. every time we are in El Ateneo .. it is breathtaking ~

Did you have lunch at the cafe at the Evita museum?

We just went to Guidos Bar again .. the atmosphere, the food, everyone there .. I like it a lot ..

I want to live at the Hyatt but my husband keeps saying no ...

Hurry back..
Feb 16th, 2009, 03:29 AM
Original Poster

Scarlett,
Unfortunately, we were not in the mood for a nice sit-down at the Evita Museum...we were at the end of our journey and had a taste for something a bit less serious. We went to Filo for Pizza, instead. I had read the wonderful reviews of the Evita Cafe, and the atmosphere
and menu were both appealing. I'll hope for a next visit. Maybe the economy here in the US will miraculously recover within the year. In BA there are so many options for beautiful moments...so little time!
Feb 16th, 2009, 03:44 AM
Original Poster

For Susanna,
Another of my favorite things I wish I had found at the BEGINNING of my vist
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED READING, WALKING, ENJOYING:
Buenos Aires
16 Recorridos A Pie
16 City Walks
by GABRIELA KOGAN. I bought my copy at El Ateneo. Since it was the end of our BA experience, we only had a bit of time and since we were staying in Recoleta at the Art Hotel (recommended), we did The Palaces of Alvear...Kogan's book was a great companion. Wish I were starting again. Happy Journey!
Feb 18th, 2009, 05:52 AM

Thanks for the report and info, we're counting down the days now, one month until our third trip. We're staying at the Park Hyatt for one night....from your descriptions, cannot wait to see this place, sounds like we might not want to leave
Feb 18th, 2009, 02:25 PM

Thank you, Parzmom for an interesting Trip Report with so many good ideas - and so well described - that I think we will need to add a few more months to OUR trip. So glad you had such a fine experience. We are too. I am in the process of adding a couple of your suggestions to our 'to do' list.

Gracias. ~Maarnie

Feb 18th, 2009, 09:46 PM

Bookmarkin for my trip to BA in August!