Awesome (quick) solo trip to Peru for Inca Trail

Old Oct 25th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome (quick) solo trip to Peru for Inca Trail

Howdy - As usual, Fodor's message boards were a great resource when planning my Peru trip. Unfortunately I don't have time to write a detailed report, but can say everything was great, especially the hotels I stayed at, both picked based on Fodor's recommendations. Very brief notes:

1) Took a taxi from the Cusco airport and bargained down on the price. I found it a little hard to bargain as a party of one. Agreed on 5soles less than what was originally quoted.
2) Ninos Hotel (on Calle Meloc) was lovely. I liked being a walk away from the main action around Plaza de Armas, but others may want to be somewhere with more hotels, businesses, etc.
3) I found the quality of "traditional" souvenirs, gifts, etc. higher in Cusco than Pisac or Lima. (Lima better if you want a taste of modern, funky, hip, etc.)
4) PERU TREKS highly recommended for the trail.
5) Second Home Peru in Barranco, Lima. Won't stay anywhere else if/when I go back.

Solo youngish woman, felt totally safe at all times. Speak a few words of Spanish, which I tried to maximize. People were lovely. Awesome trip. Happy to answer questions!
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 06:51 PM

Thanks for the quick, happy post. I appreciate that you took the time to share and I'm glad you had a good time. Peru's on my list but I'll probably wait till I retire to head down on a shoulder season (5 years).
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 05:49 AM

I am glad you liked perutreks - that is who my group is using in May.
quick question - did you wear hiking boots or running shoes? I had planned to just wear running shoes, but now I'm getting nervous about that decision.
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 12:50 PM

what souvenirs did you bring home and what did you wish you brought more of, in terms of gifts?
Old Oct 19th, 2009, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Gosh, I need to get an alert when folks post replies...sorry to have missed these questions from April!

DCM58 - How was your trip? I'll check if maybe you posted a report. I hope you liked PeruTreks as much as I did. FWIW, I wore hiking boots, but I have wonky ankles. If you are fit and have good balance and joints and whatnot, some trail runners might have worked for you.

EileenM- The best gift I bought? Artwork and good scarves. I spent time looking at the small galleries around Cusco and there was a lot to admire. I bought a painting for my sister, which was not necessarily of Peruvian or Inca imagery. It was unique and well done and she loved it. I almost wish I had gotten a second piece by the same artist for myself. I spent a long time admiring another painting that I really regret not buying...

I also bought a fairly nice quality scarf in Lima, which turned out so great. Lightweight but warm and just ideal. Wish I had gotten a couple of those! How did your shopping turn out?