Awesome Honeymoon CR in Sept/Oct

Old Oct 22nd, 1998, 12:34 PM
wendy

Awesome Honeymoon CR in Sept/Oct

My fiancee and I are looking to get married next Sept/Oct and are considering Costa Rica for our honeymoon. Does anyone know what the weather is like that time of year and how rainy or humid it generally is at that time? Also, we want the BEST hotels, no expense spared and wonder if anyone has any recommendations. All input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old Oct 22nd, 1998, 09:10 PM
JoAnn

Wendy, go to the following site--look under the complete list of hotels. One in particular is a member of the small distinct inns of CR. The Caletas. There are several that look like the ideal spot for a honeymoon.--but it does list hotels all over CR.
Have a wonderful time and see as much as you can there. It's beautiful.

http://honeymoons.miningco.com/libra...y/aa122997.htm

Old Oct 23rd, 1998, 06:57 AM
Kat

Hullo Wendy --

There are two seasons only in Central America and Northern South America: Rainy Season and Dry Season. Having lived 18 years in Panama, Costa Rica's neighbor to the south, I'm intimately familiar with both.

Dry Season is December through March and is delightful weatherwise -- the very best time to visit the tropics since, as the name suggests, the daily showers and frequent rainstorms stop and are replaced with refreshing light breezes, reliably sunny days and (perhaps most important from the tourist viewpoint), DRY paths for the most part in the jungle instead of muddy messes. Dry season also is the time of the blooming trees which is something we don't see in the U.S. (our spring is not the same thing at all!). For three to four months, many tropical trees (most of them monumentally large) drop their leaves entirely and transform themselves into blazing torches of colorful bloom (stupendously gorgeous and unlike anything you've ever seen!) -- red, orange, yellow, purple, hot pink, and yes, some pastels and white. Most Central American school years run March through November, and I've assumed this was so to permit kids and families to take advantage of the season.

Rainy Season is a descriptive term, accurately reflecting daily rain showers (usually in the afternoon), major rain storms and so on. What the phrase doesn't reflect accurately is the intense humidity compounded by the heat which renders many outdoor activities and all sports (tennis, even golf) uncomfortable if not impractical, except, naturally, ocean bathing or pool swimming.

There is an alternative in Rainy Season, however: as is the case with Panama, Costa Rica mostly exists at all because it is really a huge (not to mention active volcanic) mountain range poking up through the sea from the ocean floor. This means the Costa Rican highlands (the 'spine' of the nation, if you will) is always cooler (although not necessarily less humid) than the coastal jungle regions. It's the highlands where coffee is grown as well as other temperate clime products.

That's the good news: the highlands will be cooler in September and October. But the coastal areas (which most tourists target for its rich rainforest flora and fauna plus glorious beaches and coastal scenery) will be (for most North Americans) intensely humid, extremely warm and close to uncomfortable. Usually, the older the tourist, the more bothersome (sometimes incapacitating) is the heat and humidity.

Tactics for avoiding the worst of the heat and humidity: Try to arrange most of your jungle trekking/touring for the hours of dawn and just after, and the hours just before and during dusk (which is the best time to see fauna anyway). Even if you've never been on a horse (or donkey) in your life, consider a horseback trek for jungle exploration -- trust me, the mud and heat won't bother the horse at all but it will make your life miserable if you choose to hike. For heaven's sake, if some offers a four-wheel drive tour (or equivalent) hop on immediately!

Reserve the middle part of the day for water activities such as reading, playing, floating, lollygagging, snoozing or napping in the pool; floating, swimming in the ocean or playing in the surf. My husband and I have adapted many 'land-based' activities to a water environment during our tropical respites including playing cards and scrabble.

Difficult for tourists yet most resorts will have water amenities such as inner tubes and inflatable rafts. I must have spent most of my childhood floating on the ocean in an inner tube -- wonderful! Bring sunglasses and a hat so you can read.

Which brings me to my penultimate point: absolutely wear a hat during all daylight hours! Sunglasses necessary on the beach, at the pool and in cleared areas. Sunglasses not necessarily (and even detrimental) in the jungle where the light level is very much lower). Keep that hat on, though! The hat not only deflects rays that burn face, neck and ears, but protects the wearer's head and hair from icky insect-type things that abound in the jungle. DON'T get sunburned . . . especially on a honeymoon!

Do not eat a big meal mid-day -- snack lightly, eat moderately at breakfast and eat well at dinner (which will be substantially later you're used to). Drink lots and lots of fluids (bottled, of course!). Heat exacerbates the effect of alcohol.

My cautions may paint a dismal picture yet are intended to ensure your trip is a success. I wouldn't hesitate to back for a minute!

Above all, enjoy! And, congratulations!!

Cheers,
Kathryn

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 08:48 AM
Terri

I know this is an old post, but I just want to say I really enjoyed what sounds like an unbiased and candid assessment of the weather during the rainy season.

Seems to me Sept/Oct. is *not* a good time to go to CR....some friends of mine went during the * very beginning* of the green season and said it was fine. But the *end of the season* sounds awful to me.....

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 12:07 PM
pjr

Hi Terri

We were in Costa Rica in October and we had a great time. Rain really did not ruin our trip at all. We had a great time. It rain mostly right before we walked up to dinner at the hotel, so it really was not that big of a problem.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 12:18 PM
Iza

Hi Terri,
I would also point out to you that the climate varies a lot from north to south of CR: Nicoya Penninsula has reliably better (drier) weather in the rainy season than the rest of the country.
Also, I think that the name "green season" used in CR for the rainy season is very apt. While some trees may be in bloom in the dry season, they loose their leaves and the grasses and other vegetation dry out. Guanacaste (Nicoya Penninsula) is beautifully green and lush during the rainy season but looks very dried up, brown and drab during the dry season.
We visited Costa Rica in August twice and were not affected by the weather for the most part. The weather was especially good when we were in Tamarindo.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 05:45 AM
Robbie

September and October are two of the rainier months in CR, however, we have heard that there is a strong possibility that they will be drier than normal due to El Nino. I am sorry but have do have to disapree on one point made by someone earlier. The temmps in the green season are much more tolerable than n the dry season.
We all welcome the green season here as it cools off a lot, and live at the beach n Manuel Antonio. The hottest months in the country are March and April and they also bring some real humidity. But during the green season things cool off considerably and we all think the climate is very nice!
Lats year in October we had a convention here in MA and most people were actually pleased with the weather, feeling that the afternoon rains cooled things off nicely at night, whle it was sunny enough during the day to enjoy just about any activity. always say that there s always enough sun n Costa Rca to get a tan, regardless of when you come.
Best wishes!
Robbie

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 06:10 AM
Iza

I have to agree with Robbie re temperatures. We were at Manuel Antonio last year in August and on overcast days the temps were in high 70s! Our hotel had A/C but we didn't use it at all.
It was actually cooler during the 2 weeks we spent in CR in August than it was in Connecticut at the same time. It was very humid though, especially on Osa Penninsula.