Passport-keep in safe or on you?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2004, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't been to Mexico for some time, but used a birth certificate and license in the past. A friend is going to Tulum soon and taking a passport, which is a good idea from what I've read. Is it advised to keep your passport on you at all times even if you have a picture i.d.? She's even looking for a waterproof snorkeling container to put it in while snorkeling. I thought it would be safer to keep it in the hotel safe. Which is recommended?
Old Mar 28th, 2004, 06:16 AM

We travel frequently to Mexico and take our passports, and here is what we do.

We have a lock on our carry-ons, and we put jewelry, extra cash, the return tickets and our passports inside, lock the carry-on and put it inside a locked suitcase and put that under the bed or in a closet.

Thieves like quick easy access, and we've heard horror stories about master keys or combinations to room safes (although we've never had any problems using them - the issues seem to be confined to particular hotels/resorts.)

We also make a copy of the first page (with the picture and all of the info) of our passports and put them in a separate location from the originals - like the safe or a dresser drawer. In case there is a problem with the original getting stolen, it VASTLY speeds up the process of resolution.

Tell your friend not to worry. We've been to Mexico many many times and left our passports in various stages of security and have never had a problem.

I would NOT tote the original around with me once I reached my destination.

Old Mar 28th, 2004, 09:11 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The small hotel I usually stay at in PV offers lock boxes in an area off their front desk. I either leave my passport there, or simply lock it into my suitcase in my room. I certainly wouldn't take it snorkeling with me. Having said that, if she is staying at a cabana (I know they are around Tulum) maybe security is a different situation than my own experience.
Old Mar 28th, 2004, 06:30 PM

I live in Bacalar,Mexico and am always conscious of both my US passport and Mexican ID (FM3) usually with me and my cameras but, after 7 years of travel and living here had them burgled from my own house on Laguna Bacalar. Always take care in Mexico. Violence is not a problem (outside the City);stealing always is. However Lynnette Belt is US Consul in Cancun and the people in Merida's bigger Consulate, John Lewandowski,Vice Consul and Luis Barrera at Cancun998-8830272/Merida999-9255011 were great. See my Photoblog at http://www.homepage.mac.com/donfranc...log/index.html
Mexico is wonderful but stealing things has always been part of the culture. Consider the hotel safe deposit if a snazzy hotel, or a sealed envelope left with the manager/owner otherwise. And if all fails; don't be afraid of the consulates, great resources for Americans.
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 09:04 AM

No matter where I travel, I NEVER use the in room safe. You just can't go wrong with using the hotel safe deposit boxes usually located in the lobby. Most hotels have them and they are free (although they can be a little time consuming especially when the front desk in busy). My understanding is that if things go missing from the room safe you are just out of luck, but if things go missing from the safe deposit box, you have a little more protection.