Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Aventura palace vs Royal Hideaway meals & gym, honeymoon questions

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 10:06 AM
amy

We need to decide between Aventura or RH.
My concern is since,
1. I only eat seafood, does Aventura and RH has seafood menu? Does Aventura meals are all buffet or do we get to choose from the menu?
2. If it is buffet then do they serve seafood on the buffet ?
3. Is there a gym at the Aventura or RH with modern work out equipments?
4. Which resort has lush/prettier grounds? Thank you.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 11:20 AM
eileen

The RH food is gourmet, with no buffets at lunch or dinner (a fabulous breakfast buffet if offered, with a station where they make to-order omelets for you etc. The breakfast buffet even offered smoked salmon). There were plenty of seafood choices on the menu. I thought the grounds at RH were really prenty with lots of different plants, lots of green grass, little ponds, etc.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 07:41 PM
marisol

Royal Hideaway gets the nod for better food, one of the best spa/health clubs in the area and the beach (if that matters to you). Aventura Palace is also a lovely resort but does not have a beach (you can walk to one about 10 minutes away) and main restaurant is a buffet style. It can sometimes be hard to get to get into gourmet resturants.

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 12:09 PM
Mariarosa

Hi Amy! I stayed at both resorts during the same trip in Nov-Dec 2000 (5 nights at Aventura, 4 nights in Cozumel and then 3 nights at the Royal Hideaway).

1) If I remember correctly, all of RH's restaurants have 1-2 seafood entrees. The food was truly wonderful. During lunch, it was more limited, but they had a fantastic shrimp ceviche.

Out of the 5 nights we stayed at the Aventura, we ate at the sit-down restaurant 4 times. I don't know if this has changed, but they didn't take reservations, you would just put your name down on a list and wait. Sometimes the wait was 15 minutes, sometimes it was 1.5 hours. Their menu also had 1-2 seafood entrees. Didn't see the buffet, only the outdoor grill and there was not much seafood on the night we were there.

They both had very pretty grounds, but I liked the Aventura's better because I like the colonial style. The RH was much smaller but nice too. I think they were both constructed at around the same time.

If food is a priority and you don't want to wait for sit-down restaurants, choose the RH. Also, if you want to be on a real beach, the RH is better. If having live music, a little nightlife, an after-dinner lobby bar is important to you, choose the AVentura. Hope that this helps.

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 06:08 AM
Karen

Amy,

You definatly get more for your money staying at the Aventura Palace, it is much cheaper than the RH, plus you can use all 8 Palace Resorts for the price of 1. The gym is good, but an even better one is in the Spa Palace, they have all state of the art equiptment, they have a rock climbing wall, ect.. The Aventura, and Spa Palace are now considered 1 resort, which is great you get 2 resorts in 1, plus you can go use all of the other Palace Resorts too. The rates for the Aventura are unbeatable! We are going for our 2nd trip in November, but our first since the merge we paid $1554.00 for 2 adults for 7 nights 8 days this does not include air, we fly for free, husband is a pilot. But what a great price for all that is included.

If you want a great price, and great service look at the website that we book through.

www.get-me.to/cancun
Karen